3.3 Litre Power Steering Pump - Removal

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3.3 Litre Power Steering Pump - Removal

Thanks

3.3 Litre Power Steering Pump - Removal

After much cussing/swearing/crying I have finally managed to remove the PS Pump from my 97' Grand Voyager LE.

The attached photo shows the mounting bracket which caused so much grief, and the numbers represent :-

1. Lower Alternator Mounting Point.
    2. Rear Bracket Mounting Point.
    3. Belt Tensioner Mounting Point.
    4,5,6. Bracket To Engine Block Mounting Points.
    7,8,9. Pump to Bracket Mounting Points.

As well as the above, there is also a crossbrace bolted to the back of the pump itself.

Bolt #9 is completely hidden by the ribs on the bracket and the pump pulley. It can only be seen and removed by turning the whole assembly edge-on to the bracket so that you are looking from bolt #5 towards bolt # 9.

There is no way the pump - with or without bracket attached - can be removed through the exhaust tunnel, and it won't come out between the driveshaft and wheelarch (inner fender) with the pulley still attached.

To get it out, I resorted to removing the Crankshaft Pulley.
    Forget what the manuals say about removing the road wheel/driveplate cover and jamming a screwdriver in the ring gear teeth while a 'helper' undoes the crankshaft pulley bolt. (my dog is clever, but not THAT clever ). All I did was to slide a large screwdriver through one of the gaps in the pulley and in front of the engine block. Once pressure is applied to the bolt the screwdriver won't fall out, and with only 40 lb/ft torque on the bolt it comes loose easily.
    You WILL need a 2 legged puller to get the crankshaft pulley off, but I just happen to have one from many years ago.

I have a used replacement pump ready to go in next time it's not raining/snowing and hopefully I won't have any more problems.

P.S. anybody in the UK needing used parts (not just for minivans), try http://www.autobreakers.co.uk
    My PS Pump cost 35.00, already removed from the car and waiting for me to collect. They also do overnight delivery of whatever you need.
    '97 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LE (UK Model) , 167,000 miles. Dual Fuel Petrol/LPG. Tow Pack.
    Now sold. New owner is using as a project ! Replaced by a 2000 Nissan Primera 2.0L Sport+

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Ooooooooooooooops !

Forgot to attach the photo.
    Attached Images
    '97 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LE (UK Model) , 167,000 miles. Dual Fuel Petrol/LPG. Tow Pack.
    Now sold. New owner is using as a project ! Replaced by a 2000 Nissan Primera 2.0L Sport+

Thanks

Looks like a seal begging for a fish.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Feltzer View Post
    Looks like a seal begging for a fish.
    Yep. And that how I felt trying to get the damn thing out !

This pic is the diagram from the Haynes manual, obviously its identical twin - NOT.
    Attached Images

Thanks

The factory manual says to unbolt the catalytic converter and move the exhaust to obtain clearance.
    I supppose it's not hard with air tools and a hoist. Some mechanics also pull the axle.

Thanks

I did consider pulling the driveshaft, problem is the car is sat on wheelramps at the front with the belt/alternator etc already removed.. As it happened, removing the crankshaft pulley proved a far easier way to get the pump out. the reason for removing the Cat & Exhaust - which I did - is for easier access to the bolts at the rear.

+ Reply to Thread