The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2004-2007 Dodge/Chrysler minivan stalling after refuel investigation

28K views 66 replies 29 participants last post by  abvgdh 
#1 ·
This is a followup to this thread in the 5th gen forum...which should really be in the 4th gen forum: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/75826-Minivan-investigation

More than 100 complaints have been received by federal safety regulators about stalling in older Chrysler minivans, an analysis by the Reuters news agency finds.

The stalling problems center on 2004 to 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country minivans.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported earlier this week that it is taking a look at the stalling in the minivans after refueling.

While NHTSA says it was acting on eight complaints on the 2007 Grand Caravan, Reuters says it search of the database turned up many others. The first complaints starting arriving in 2008 and have continued since.

One complaint uncovered by Reuters says "My 2004 Chrysler Town & Country minivan stalls every time I get gas." It goes on: "One time I was turning the corner and my car died and I could not steer the vehicle and ended up on the wrong side of the road ... I have really come to dread when I need gas."

No accidents or injuries have been reported.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/09/12/chrysler-minivan-stalling-dodge/15485401/

Finally something is being done or investigated about this issue. It has been a known problem with the latter half of the 4th gens, with many people, including myself having experienced the issue more than 10 times in the past couple years. Lets hope this turns into an actual recall.

More articles on this investigation:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/10/dodge-grand-caravan-chrysler-town-and-country-stalling-nhtsa/
http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/complaint-spurs-u-s-probe-of-chrysler-minivans-stalling-issue-1.1998425
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/stalling-chrysler-minivan-prompts-safety-inquiry-1.2760897
http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/Chrysler-Stalling-Problem-Could-Lead-to-Recall-274562311.html

See less See more
#2 ·
No need for a recall... Just stop pumping when the pump clicks and you should be fine. Do a search here and that's what a
L the topics say.

#5 ·
Ours did that every single time after a fill up. I never topped it off, either. But, after reading these boards someone explained the problem (gas canister getting saturated) and the cure was simply not letting the tank fill till the gas pump shuts off. I simply look at the gauge before I fill up and estimate how many gallons will get it almost full (based on an estimate of a 20 gallon tank for math simplicity) and we never have seen that problem again. Now and then (but rarely) one of the kids puts gas in the minivan (!!) and lets it fill till the pump cuts it off, but by now the canister must be dried out enough that one or two instances do not cause the problem.

#6 ·
This is just one more of the seemingly simple-to-solve problems that Chrysler of today can't seem to resolve, very discouraging!

Chrysler quality now is such a big disappointment to me after all these years!

In the old days they always excelled at engineering if not always style.

#10 ·
30 seconds? Not sure, never checked. All I know, it's under a minute...Most of the time.

Sometimes, it'll just crank, and crank and crank before it turns over.

#12 ·
Starting looking into fixing my issue with a 2004 Limited. So far I'm leaning toward a fuel tank but I'm really hoping someone can say they have a more accurate diagnosis for the stalling and stumbling after fill up. Can't even price a fuel tank but a charcoal canister looks like it runs about $80 USD.

#17 ·
Maybe I misunderstood, mid 2000's were the worst of it? I want a turbine engine very coolJay Leno says it well.

#19 ·
Ok I got it now, stop pumping when the it clicks off and it will stall. What have you tried so far?

#20 · (Edited)
The common fix, surprisingly only mentioned in passing unless it's in a link, is to replace the gas tank. Don't recall the name but there is a valve built into the top of the tank that if not sealed as the fuel level rises will allow gas to flow to the charcoal canister. If the valve is working you can top off as much as you like. If not, you'll have problems. I regularly top of my 20 year old 96. No problems yet.

I've often wondered if installing and replumbing the canister above the level of the gas tank might be an alternative for some. I've never read of anyone trying it.

#21 ·
Is there an underbody area that's above the gas tank that wouldn't be up in the passenger/cargo area? I have seen the cannisters on other vehicles (with a lot more plumbing) mounted under the hood, perhaps a little higher in elevation than the gas tank.

#22 ·
Above the fuel tank. Makes me think K.I.S.S.

Has anyone put a liquid separator in line between the charcoal canister and the tank or put the charcoal above the tank to make it drain back in?

#23 ·
I've never lowered my fuel tank or had a reason to, but (and maybe this is just because mine is a Stow n Go) I have a hard time believing that there's more than about a thin pancake's worth of space between fuel tank and floor...am I crazy?

#24 ·
Nah just smarter than Chrysler

Keep it simple <strike>stupid</strike>Chrysler.

#25 ·
Has anything happened in the investigation mentioned in the OP? Our van has gotten worse and worse with this problem. I didn't bother to come back and mention it because we'll just get the same response as last time: "stop when it clicks off". That advice is useless because that is what we have done ever since we got this van. Now, ,even sitting a few minutes and revving the engine does not work any more to prevent this.

#29 ·
I haven't heard anything else about this.

What I suggest right now is to report this issue to NHTSA ASAP and possibly reference this thread just to push them to do a recall, as this is a safety issue...

#28 ·
i also have this problem. 2005 caravan 3.3l.

everytime i fuel, 10$ or 80$, it bucks/almost stalls if i get on the highway and it stalls if i go on a small street with low throttle.
i read a lot and its the roll-over valve on top of the tank. its plastic welded into the tank and is not replacable.
i read that blocking the hose that leads to the charcoal canister will fix the problem but it will turn on the check engine light.

#30 ·
In recent days the van hasn't stalled after I filled up on gas (fill until click). What I have noticed during the last 2 fillups is that as soon as I drive off, the van bucks badly for a few seconds sending the RPMs everywhere...it does that for a few seconds then stops.

I filled 70 liters at a different gas station today and had no issues...I will continuously watch this...

#31 ·
Change the tank.... It's the only fix. Mine got to the point where moisture in the canister froze and wouldn't allow me to fill the tank until it thawed. When it did I disconnected the line that ran to the canister from the tank and raw fuel just poured out f a line designed for vapor, so this is a serious safety concern that should be taken seriously. If your a do it yourself, you can find new tanks online for between four and six hundred dollars and install it yourself. Change the filler tube and canister while your at it for piece of mind! Keep your receipt in the event chrysler decides to extend the guaranty like they did for the same problem with the charger and the 300
Chuck

#33 ·
Now that it's warm out the van has stopped doing this, but in the winter it would do this nearly every fill up...Unfortunately, nothing will be done about this issue now...

#35 · (Edited)
My 2004 Limited has done this since I bought it used three years ago. I'm used to it now but very leery of letting anyone else in my family drive it. Usually after I fill up I just go into the station and take a short break, buy a coffee or soda, and the gas effects are less. Now I thought about replacing the tank, $300 to $400, but I have 155k on the van now so I know that fuel pump should be replaced too, $500 to $600 more if I do it myself while the tank is off. So this little problem would cost me over a $1k to fix if I did it myself. I think I'll just stick with the coffee and soda for now.

#36 ·
I'm curious; where are you seeing prices of $500 to $600 for a fuel pump for a 2004 T&C Limited? Here in New Hampshire the price of a new fuel pump ranges between $120 and $160.

#39 ·
This post gave me an idea. My car will not start. Happened out of the blue. It had been sitting a while. Batt was charged up. Before I started it, I added gas from two 5 gal. gas cans. Filled it all the way up. If I overfilled it, would this cause a no start? It has never not started before. Won't even turn over? Just a relay click. Gas gauge has been "odd" ever since I bought it. Gauge when it wants to.

#42 ·
What is skim?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.