The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

96 grand caravan stalling!

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Chrysler1924 
#1 · (Edited)
:angrya: 1996 grand caravan, stalling!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have tried so many fixes, and this van still stalls! First started back in august, since then we have replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, plugs and wires, EGR valve... cleaned the throttle body, which was dirty, but not disgusting.
No codes.
Stalls after running for a short while, long enough for engine to get warm.
I've already heard it could be the ignition module, crankshaft position sensor, MAP sensor or a computer issue.
Any suggestions at to which of those sounds most probable?
Many thanks for your suggestions.:help_wsig

#2 ·
Two thoughts:

> Changing the crankshaft and/or camshaft sensor would be a good next move. They commonly cause stalling without generating a code as they should. The good thing? They are easy to change and cheap at around $20, sometimes at your dealership. Make sure you install them with the paper spacer on the tip. This spacer insures positioning.

> If it is stalling 2 to 3 minutes after starting, it could have something to do with the open/closed loop mode. Until the O2 sensors reach optimum temperature the engine runs on a predetermined set of parameters in open loop mode for 2 to 3 minutes. Once the sensors warm up, the engine runs on its normal variable parameters in closed loop mode. If this is the case I would suspect the PCM but, there may be other causes.

#4 ·
I had a problem similar to this, only that at higher revs (3K) right before a shift, I'd get a "miss" / buck of sorts. It would not throw a code. Replaced EGR valve, no change. Seemed to be a tranny problem, but it happened for my mechanic, and he said it was ignition related, not tranny. He said that these vans were notorious for crank sensors. So he replaced the crank sensor, as well as the cam sensor. I also had him replace the MAP while we were at it (I was travelling a long distance for Thanksgiving, and wanted to leave nothing to chance.) I personally think it was the MAP, as it occurred under heavy load -- a crank or cam sensor would have given me faults over the entire RPM range, in my opinion. It's been A-OK since November of 2006. So I think that you are going down the correct path with your diagnosis. Could also be a bad vacuum leak somewhere!!

#6 ·
I know this sounds completely 100% bizarre and not likely to have ANYTHING to do with your problem, but my 2000 all of a sudden developed a stalling problem, and replacing my 4-month old "new" battery (which even TESTED to be good) completely eliminated the problem.

....I have NO idea why, but apparently the battery is GOD on these vans...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.