door panel removal, power window repair

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: door panel removal, power window repair

Thanks

door panel removal, power window repair

Having trouble removing the drivers door panel on my 2001 voyager. The power window has been working intermitantly so I purchased the entire assembly from Rock Auto. I have read many posts and it sounds like it will be a bit of work but very managable. I pryed the panel off but don't know how to disconnect the rod that connects to the interior door handle. At this point I just put it back together and thought I will try to find some info. I did try EAUTOREPAIR.NET but they told me they don't cover that topic. I think this falls under the body shop area. I have read a lot of posts that mention taking the door panel off, so it must be something simple. Any suggestions about this and replacing the power window unit? Thanks, Vango

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Having done a little more searching I found a post by DSMLVR that had the step by step instructions for what I was looking for. On step #9 of door panel removal it say "Disengage clip attaching linkage rod to inside latch release handle (fig. 13). Is there any way to get this diagram or photo?

Thanks

Interesting little connection for sure. Look at what is "grasping" the rod at the latch, just before the rod bends down into the latch opening (hole). "Ungrasp" that clip from the rod and observe how the connection works. Too neat (sweet).
    Any help????
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 100,747 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 303,050 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 244,100 kms

Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I may not get back to this for a while. The weather turned colder. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

He's right. Its just a simple "keeper" on the bottom side of the handle. Its a $&$*% to get to sometimes but fairly easy to take off and a snap to reinstall.
    GASMAN :
    2008 Town and Country Touring
    Liquid Silver

1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 2" lift on 31's
    MUD TOY

Thanks

I now have figure 13 from DSMLRV. I'll be getting back to this when I get a little break in the weather.

Thanks

Had some decent weather so I did get the window regulator replaced yesterday. Anyone interested in doing this might be sure they have a T-30 TORX driver before they start. You'll need it to remove the tracks and motor. I was pushing on the glass retaining clips with no results. I went to my local auto glass shop and the guy told me to remove the clips. When I did that the window came off. I later checked the instructions that I have found on this forum and sure enough had I read them carefully, I would have known that! I found getting the old tracks out to be quite a challenge. My advice would be to come back to it after a rest and somehow it was easier. My thanks to DSMLVR, Gasman and Jeepman for their help.

Thanks

Glad to hear that you got it fixed.

Happy Motoring.
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

Congratulations. You succeeded. Bet you feel closer to your van now. I always feel more "in touch" with my vehicles after I have successfully repaired something. "Mission accomplished" is a boost in pride as well.
    The replacement of the power window regulator on the minivan is not an easy task. Be proud of your accomplishment. I would rather replace sway bar bushings / links, tie rod ends any day than tackle that job again. I am sure you would see some local mechanics, not familiar with your model of vehicle, struggling and asking advice from their fellow mechanics when working on one of those regulators.
    A "groaner" is that you can expect the other window regulator to go in a year or so - bad original equipment motors, I believe. Hope you took notes - surprising what you can forget in a year.
    The question is "If I had a vehicle that I didn't have any problems with and didn't have to do any work on it, would I look at that vehicle with less connection or pride?"
    Cheers
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 100,747 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 303,050 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 244,100 kms

Thanks

Drove to the local donut shop this morning using my window, feeling pretty good knowing that it would go back up each time. I feel pretty connected to this van, since I am nearing retirement age and will have to make this one last.

It's interesting that you mention the tie rods and sway bar bushings. I am temped to try that one for myself. Have no experience on the suspension. I have had mine done twice by the dealer but it still makes noise. It must be the OEM parts! I would like to try the NAPA parts that I hear mentioned. Will need to buy jack stands for this one, and I will wait for warmer weather. I think this will be physically more demanding, but much less of a puzzle to figure out.

Thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread