The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

05 caravan with power steering noise

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Hokiefyd 
#1 ·
Im new to this forum but happy to see im not alone with the noisy power steering problem. maybe i should try the atf+4 fix also

#2 ·
Welcome. Your van already has ATF+4 in the power steering system. You may try emptying and refilling the reservoir a few times to purge the system. Replacing the reservoir has also proven successful. LOTS of information on this common problem here on the forum.

#3 ·
Try Lucas

I had a similar problem on our 02 T & C...I drained the reservoir and refilled with Lucas Power Steering Fluid...It quietened the pump down a lot and almost completely stopped the whining from the pump. Lucas can be bought at any parts house...

#4 ·
The van calls for ATF+4. To protect your warranty, you should stick with manufacturer recommendations. After it is no longer in warranty, you can use snake oil if you want, or Lucas, or bacon grease. But for now, stick with ATF+4.

#6 ·
Snake oil????????????? Dude COME ON!!!!! Lucas is nothing more than a cleaner/conditioner for the pump....As far as I know it wont void the warranty either...BUT then again they do LOOK for reasons to screw ya outta the warrenty anyway!!!:)

#7 ·
Sorry, I've got to "Dude COME ON!!!!!" right back at you. Chrysler recommends ATF+4 not Lucas PS fluid. By putting that stuff in your PS system you are betting that it is the correct viscosity and has the correct additives to keep the particular seal compounds supple and in good shape, not a bet I'm willing to make. In reality, you don't actually know for a fact that you aren't setting yourself up for problems down the road. While the Lucas PS fluid may well be a good product, it is the rough equivalent to Snake Oil as it is NOT a recommended fluid.

#8 ·
Lucas and other products are the same, to me, as the Prestone universal coolants. The fact is, different vehicles take different fluids in their PS systems. Fords use Mercon ATF. Chryslers now use ATF+4. GMs (to my knowledge) still use conventional PS fluid. Who knows about Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. All of these fluids have different properties such that the systems are designed to work correctly with the fluids.

I wouldn't put Dexcool coolant in my Chrysler. I wouldn't use a HOAT coolant in my GM. Prestone sells a one-coolant-fits-all product that is supposed to fill anything. Yeah, right. One product that is acceptable to all is optimized for none. Power steering additives, transmission additives, etc, are the same way. Who knows WHAT is in that product, who knows its viscosity, who knows what types of seal conditioners it has, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.