The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Stow-n-Go seat conversion - Follow Up!

46K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  mrfixit454 
#1 ·
Hey all, I wanted to post a follow-up to my comments in this http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=5353&highlight=conversion thread about converting a Caravan without the stow-n-Go seats.

I have gotten the seats and finished the conversion, and let me tell you it was EXTREMELY easy. It only cost me $350 bucks to do it myself.

I am short on time, but I plan on taking the whole thing apart and putting it back to a bench seat configuration, then photo documenting the whole thing and putting it up on my website so that everyone can check it out.

If this has been covered since I have been gone, then please let me know. If I posted this in the wrong section, please let me know.

Look for me to revive this thread soon, and thank you everyone for your support. I enjoy reading the forums!

-Dave

#4 ·
I'm new and can't wait for your "how to" I just bought my '05 Grand Caravan and was humbled outside Costco when I realized my second row bench seat wouldn't be folding neatly into the floor. (My wife only laughed at me for a few minutes). I was just checking the floor of my van today at lunch and noticed that there are the mounting hooks under the carpet so I know it can be done. Personally, I would also be happy with a 2 person to 3 person bench conversion (sans stow n go) That would be cool to have 3 people sit in the second row.
like the others, I can't wait for the photo documentary.

#5 ·
I am going to attempt this tomorrow. junkyard has the seats for $250 and I hope to talk them down to 200. the problem is that the carpet is different for the floor peice so I am going to try to adapt my floor peice to work as it is now. It looks as if the floor peices fold in the same places, so hopefully I can just swap some of the plastics around to get a functional floor board.

#6 ·
no way is this possible, i thought they were to totally differend floor designs on the vans for that. i thought i remember reading somewhere that the stow and go vans sat lower because of this. IF this is really true, im so doing this.

#11 ·
Stow n Go Conversion

I recently bought a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE with YES fabric and the middle row bench with integrated child seat. I found Rollx Vans on Ebay who convert vans for handicap use. They remove the stow n go seats and covers and sell them on ebay. $60 for the cover and $90 for the (2) seats plus shipping. The change out is simple.

Tools
1. Narrow blade screw driver (for prying off caps covering nuts)
2. 7/16" socket for removing nuts holding cover in place.
3. 15mm socket for removing/installing nuts on brackets

1. Remove bench seat.
2. Remove bench seat floor cover.
3. Remove brackets in compartment for rolling bench into.

The new buckets are a left and a right unit. Make sure you have the correct one on the correct side. The easiest way to tell is the backrest lever is on the outside of the bucket.

4. Place completely folded bucket in a vertical position making sure the mounting/hinge bracket goes over the studs.
5. The mounting bracket will stay on the studs, so completely fold the seat into the floor.
6. Install the three (3) nuts onto the studs, and tighten completely.

Once both seats are installed, install the stow n go floor cover .

Remember, the bench seat cover will not work with the stow n go seats. You will have to use the cover designed for the stow n go seats.

When removing the bench seat brackets, there are two (2) nuts to be removed. The stow n go buckets use three (3) nuts for attachment. Rollx Vans provided the extra nuts for attachment, along with all covers necessary to complete the job.

The whole process will take 30 min or less. You may want to get some help in removing and installing the cover as it is large, and just plan easier with two (2) people.

Good Luck!!

#15 ·
Is this only a 3rd row conversion, or both 2nd and 3rd? I thought that the non-stow-n-go vans had the well in the back (therefore you could convert the back row), but no wells for the 2nd row flip-seats. Do the '05-'07 non-stow-n-go vans have the middle row storage wells?

Even if they don't, just converting the 3rd row would be very nice.

....not that any of this matters for my '00 GV:rolleyes:

#16 ·
Well, I guess I should read the 2nd page before posting.....:jpshakehe

#18 · (Edited)
Stow n Go Conversion

I have a 2008 DGC SE with the integrated child seat bench. This was a fleet vehicle (rental) that was equiped this way, that I bought used with 14K miles on. Maybe that is why it is equiped the way it is. The 2009 DGC have stow n go standard across the board. I can't answer the question for a Gen 4 DGC or T&C, but I have read that the conversion will work. Maybe someone else on this thread can reply to it.

I had had a 1997 DGC ES w/AWD that I WISH had stow n go. When chrysler came out with stow n go, the middle buckets were quite a bit smaller than previous "captains chairs", This was done in order for them to fold into the floor. As far as I know the stow n go feature was ONLY availabe on the long wheelbase DGC & CT&C. The short wheelbase versions were only available with the old style seats where they had to be removed from the vehicle to get the flat floor.

#21 ·
Miron - 2005 dodge Grand Caravan with the rear 60/40 fold down seats, and the middle row bench with the carseats built in. it already had the compartments in the floor where the stow n go second row fold down into, so I just swapped the cover to the compartments and put the new seats in. I think what made it so easy was finding another van with stow n go at a junkyard to get the parts from. once you take the whole assembly out, it goes back in 100 times easier.

#22 ·
Miron - 2005 dodge Grand Caravan with the rear 60/40 fold down seats, and the middle row bench with the carseats built in. it already had the compartments in the floor where the stow n go second row fold down into, so I just swapped the cover to the compartments and put the new seats in.
Obviously it's not the case for my 2002 van... next van will be smarter ;)

#23 ·
2005 stow and go to 8 passenger conversion

Hi, I just joined the forum because I was interested in this thread about converting a 4th generation grand caravan to stow and go from a bench seat. With 5 kids, I'm starting to feel the need for room for one more passenger. I'm wondering what would be involved in a conversion the other way (to replace my second row stow and go with a third row bench seat). Does anyone have an idea of what would be involved? Are there a different set of cargo covers that have the front hooks for the seat or rails for the seat?

Thanks for your time!

#24 ·
Hi, I just joined the forum because I was interested in this thread about converting a 4th generation grand caravan to stow and go from a bench seat. With 5 kids, I'm starting to feel the need for room for one more passenger. I'm wondering what would be involved in a conversion the other way (to replace my second row stow and go with a third row bench seat).
Welcome to the forum!

I don't think this is possible. The mounts on the floor are not there for the width of the 3rd row seat, on the passenger side of the van. We have an '06 GC SE at work, and I just took a peek. The 2nd row bench only goes about half-way across on the passenger side (allowing for walk-through room to the back), and there are no brackets at the very outer edge, where the 3rd row bench would mount.

If you need more seat belts than you have now, you may wish to consider the Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna, as they have options for 8-passenger seating. A full-size van or larger SUV (Suburban, etc) might also be a good choice.

Edit: actually, another option would be to get a 2001-2004 Grand Caravan or Town & Country. They had the optional Quad Command seats in the 2nd row, so the brackets you need for a full-width 3rd row bench are there. You can put a 3rd row bench in the 2nd row of a 2001-2004 van...so it's possible to have two 3rd rows. I see two potential problems, one of which would be a non-starter for me:

1) You'd have no easy way to get to the 3rd row. You could fold the bench back down in the 2nd row and climb over it. If you had car seats in the middle row, that'd be tough.

2) Liability-wise, these vans were never intended for that many passengers. Even though you may have 8 seat belts, I'd hate to think that you'd open yourself up to potential liability if you get into an accident with more seat belts than were designed-in. For me, that's a deal-breaker, and I'd opt for a different vehicle. But to be sure, that choice is yours.

Again, welcome! Hope to see you around.

#25 ·
The vehicle happens to be my wife's favorite ride, and she's fighting moving to a full size van tooth and nail :) So I guess I was trying to modify what I have.

I'll have to take a look around and see what's out there for 8 passenger minivans then.

Again, thanks for the info!

#26 ·
We had this dilemma when I wanted to make our 6 seater Pacifica have a bench in the middle for a 7 seater. The cost and time involved was too much, not to mention the safety issues like mentioned. We sold it and bought the Town and Country which has been serving us well seating and storage wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.