Stow-n-Go seat conversion - Follow Up!

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Stow-n-Go seat conversion - Follow Up!

Thanks

Miron - 2005 dodge Grand Caravan with the rear 60/40 fold down seats, and the middle row bench with the carseats built in. it already had the compartments in the floor where the stow n go second row fold down into, so I just swapped the cover to the compartments and put the new seats in. I think what made it so easy was finding another van with stow n go at a junkyard to get the parts from. once you take the whole assembly out, it goes back in 100 times easier.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turbotec View Post
    Miron - 2005 dodge Grand Caravan with the rear 60/40 fold down seats, and the middle row bench with the carseats built in. it already had the compartments in the floor where the stow n go second row fold down into, so I just swapped the cover to the compartments and put the new seats in.
    Obviously it's not the case for my 2002 van... next van will be smarter
    2002 Town and Country LXI - 3.3L - 133,000 miles
    1988 Dodge Grand Caravan LE - 3.0L - 270,000 miles (Gone but never forgotten)

Thanks

2005 stow and go to 8 passenger conversion

Hi, I just joined the forum because I was interested in this thread about converting a 4th generation grand caravan to stow and go from a bench seat. With 5 kids, I'm starting to feel the need for room for one more passenger. I'm wondering what would be involved in a conversion the other way (to replace my second row stow and go with a third row bench seat). Does anyone have an idea of what would be involved? Are there a different set of cargo covers that have the front hooks for the seat or rails for the seat?

Thanks for your time!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wcampbell78 View Post
    Hi, I just joined the forum because I was interested in this thread about converting a 4th generation grand caravan to stow and go from a bench seat. With 5 kids, I'm starting to feel the need for room for one more passenger. I'm wondering what would be involved in a conversion the other way (to replace my second row stow and go with a third row bench seat).
    Welcome to the forum!

I don't think this is possible. The mounts on the floor are not there for the width of the 3rd row seat, on the passenger side of the van. We have an '06 GC SE at work, and I just took a peek. The 2nd row bench only goes about half-way across on the passenger side (allowing for walk-through room to the back), and there are no brackets at the very outer edge, where the 3rd row bench would mount.

If you need more seat belts than you have now, you may wish to consider the Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna, as they have options for 8-passenger seating. A full-size van or larger SUV (Suburban, etc) might also be a good choice.

Edit: actually, another option would be to get a 2001-2004 Grand Caravan or Town & Country. They had the optional Quad Command seats in the 2nd row, so the brackets you need for a full-width 3rd row bench are there. You can put a 3rd row bench in the 2nd row of a 2001-2004 van...so it's possible to have two 3rd rows. I see two potential problems, one of which would be a non-starter for me:

1) You'd have no easy way to get to the 3rd row. You could fold the bench back down in the 2nd row and climb over it. If you had car seats in the middle row, that'd be tough.

2) Liability-wise, these vans were never intended for that many passengers. Even though you may have 8 seat belts, I'd hate to think that you'd open yourself up to potential liability if you get into an accident with more seat belts than were designed-in. For me, that's a deal-breaker, and I'd opt for a different vehicle. But to be sure, that choice is yours.

Again, welcome! Hope to see you around.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

The vehicle happens to be my wife's favorite ride, and she's fighting moving to a full size van tooth and nail So I guess I was trying to modify what I have.

I'll have to take a look around and see what's out there for 8 passenger minivans then.

Again, thanks for the info!

Thanks

We had this dilemma when I wanted to make our 6 seater Pacifica have a bench in the middle for a 7 seater. The cost and time involved was too much, not to mention the safety issues like mentioned. We sold it and bought the Town and Country which has been serving us well seating and storage wise.
    2005 Town and Country Limited
    2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab
    2006 32' Dutchmen Colorado 5th Wheel Bunkhouse
    2002 VW Jetta TDI
    "Once you go diesel, you never go back!"

+ Reply to Thread