Remote key fob programming 97 Grand Voyager 3.3

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Remote key fob programming 97 Grand Voyager 3.3

Thanks

Remote key fob programming 97 Grand Voyager 3.3

Hi. Bought a second hand RKE fob from ebay, exactly the same type and number as my original. But can't get it programmed to the receiver. Have changed the batteries but still no go.

Could it be because the receiver is max'd out on amount of key fobs that can be programmed to it? (think its 4)

Anyone any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Programming RKE

I had the same problem with my 98 Grand Caravan. I repeatedly tried the standard methods with no luck. I finally found an alternative method on this web site where you can pop off the top of your dashboard (easier than it sounds) and ground a pin on your RKE module. Worked like a charm! I can't remember the exact pin but the info should be easy to find with a search or two.
    As for the maximum fobs programmed, I believe that is a total number at any one time, not the number of programming operations. I assume you don't have have 4 fobs programmed currently.
    Last edited by 98Caravan; 01-23-2008 at 08:28 AM. Reason: added info
    1998 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3 175K Miles
    2005 PT Cruiser TE 2.4

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 98Caravan View Post
    I had the same problem with my 98 Grand Caravan. I repeatedly tried the standard methods with no luck. I finally found an alternative method on this web site where you can pop off the top of your dashboard (easier than it sounds) and ground a pin on your RKE module. Worked like a charm! I can't remember the exact pin but the info should be easy to find with a search or two.
    As for the maximum fobs programmed, I believe that is a total number at any one time, not the number of programming operations. I assume you don't have have 4 fobs programmed currently.
    Thanks for that info. I will have a look now. No it wasn't 4 fobs I own, but just stating that I thought it was a maximum that could be programmed to a RKE module.
    Right, time to go looking. Thanks pal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Witty View Post
    Thanks for that info. I will have a look now. No it wasn't 4 fobs I own, but just stating that I thought it was a maximum that could be programmed to a RKE module.
    I think I've found that post you were on about. Is it this one below? If not then I thought it was very helpful. Although I haven't tried it yet he explains it quite well and tells you why it works. Good one.

09-28-2006, 07:16 AM
    daveh1010101

NO DEALER or SCAN TOOL NEEDED!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to confirm that very RARELY is a scantool or dealer's assistance needed or require to add an initial remote for the keyless entry system.

I HAVE CONFIRMED THIS PERSONALLY ON 7 DIFFERENT CHRYSLER VEHICLES AT THIS TIME.

(95, 97 & 99 Chry. T&C / 94 Eagle Vision /96 Concord, 2- '97 Intrepids)

Follow the steps below (RKE Module Pin out diagram needed, info can be found on this forum)

PREPPING:
    1. Remove the upper dash panel to reveal the RKE Module
    2. Unplug the RKE module (Some models have 2 plugs (ie. early Intrepids, eagles ect.)
    3. Locate the GROUND & PROGRAM ENABLE WIRES. (Check forum for wire colors/location) these varies by year & model)

****Steps 3a, 3b & 3c IS OPTIONAL (For ease of FUTURE Programming)****
    3a. Run a Double Conductor Wire (16 or 18 awg) from the RKE Module (in dash) to any location BELOW the dash panel or glove compartment for easy access.
    3b. Splice one wire to the PROGRAM ENABLE wire and splice the other wire to the GROUND wire (THIS Ground Wire is PREFERED) on the RKE Module connector. (MARK which one is the PGM ENABLE WIRE at BOTH ENDS with tape or a marker)
    3c. Below the dash connect a S.P.S.T. (Single Pole Single Throw) Toggle switch to the 2 wires. (Note which position is ON/CLOSED)

Programming an Initial RKE Remote
    4.With Keyless Entry Remote(s) in hand Close ALL Doors insuring alarm is DISABLED (If appl.).
    5. Turn the Iignition Key to the ON position (DO NOT START)
    6. Ground the RKE Modules Program Enable Wire.
    For those whom install the switch toggle it to the CLOSED or ON Position.
    7. Press and hold the unlock button on ANY REMOTE and HOLD IT. (You will hear a chime)
    8. Release the button and press it again (single press) on the 1st remote. (You MAY hear a chime again)
    9. Press ANY Button on the next remote. This is #2 (You will hear a chime)
    10. Press ANY button on additional remotes (IF NEEDED) (you will hear a chime)
    11. When finished Turn the Ignition Key OFF
    12. Remove the GROUND from the RKE Module's PROGRAM ENABLE Wire or turn the toggle switch off.
    13. Test each remote to see if it works.

NOTE: If there is a problem with programming you may need to:
    a. Remove the GROUND from the RKE Modules PGM Enable wire BEFORE turning off the Ignition Key.
    b. Ground the PGM Enable wire BEFORE turning ON the Ignition Key
    c. After hearing the 1st chime imediatle press any key on the remote and once that chime is heard imeduiatly press any key on the next remote. ect.
    d. Do NOT leave this terminal grounded! or the toggle switch ON/CLOSED

WHATS HAPPENING:
    Physically Grounding the RKE Modules PROGRAM ENABLE Terminal does the SAME thing as the BCM (Body Control Module) does to the RKE Module when the scan tool/dealer tool "Enables RKE Remote Programming" You are simply grounding the PGM Enable terminal instead of the BCM doing it via the scan tool.

Now ENJOY Locking & Unlocking you vehicle via the Remote!

Anyone having trouble I will TRY to help if I can. I am NOT on here that often but will respond when I do log in. D

Cheers 98caravan, & Dave who posted the original msg.

Thanks

Thats the one

Yep, that looks like the one. When removing the top of the dashboard you first snap off the plastic "A" pillar covers, then carefully pry up only the large top cover. It has snaps along the edge closest to you. It only takes a few minutes. The first time I went looking for the RKE module I had half the dashboard torn apart before I discovered the top came off (DOH!)
    Also, you can splice in a wire and switch for future use, as mentioned in the message, but all I did was take some solid wire, slip it into the proper connector hole, and hold the other end to ground. Hopefully I won't need to program too many more remotes for my Caravan.
    Last edited by 98Caravan; 01-26-2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: additional info
    2005 PT Cruiser TE 2.4

Thanks

Reprogramming

Quote Originally Posted by Witty View Post
    Remember, when you reprogram your remotes, you have to do all of them at the same time. If you only program the new one the old one will stop working.
    2005 PT Cruiser TE 2.4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 98Caravan View Post
    Remember, when you reprogram your remotes, you have to do all of them at the same time. If you only program the new one the old one will stop working.
    Will do, thanks again. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Tried to do what the instructions said, but didn't get anywhere with the new remote. I unclipped the top of the dashboard, and found the red plug for the RKE receiver. There are numbers by the the wires, the number 4 is the ground wire, and number 5 is the RKE program enable wire. Followed the instructions without installing a switch. I pushed a wire into hole number 5 and grounded it. But when I tried to reprogram the remote I didn't get any indication that it had worked. No chime or anything, and the original one still works. What am I doing wrong? Am I not quite getting it right going off the instructions?

Thanks

Are you sure you were on the right pin and had a good ground? Here is the diagram I used (remember you will be putting the wire in from the back, with the connector attached to the module) Does your current remote still work properly?

rke connector.gif
    2005 PT Cruiser TE 2.4

Thanks

Help . I have my dash in bits and can't find the RKE module. I have a black box marked May & Schofield alarm/imobiliser with all black wires going into it and another connection block close by. any ideas?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply