The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

'05 GC SXT Power Door Issues

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  BlackOnBlackCobra96 
#1 ·
The passenger-side power sliding door on my '05 GC SXT is not fully opening and closing. The door opens about three inches, and then stops. If I open the door all the way, then press the button to close it, it stops in the same place, about three inches from fully being closed. When I manually slide the door back and forth over the area where it stops, the door does not seem to be binding. It is below freezing where I am, but there does not appear to be any obstruction from ice. Everything else on the van works fine. Any thoughts as to what the problem could be?

#2 ·
Power Doors

We had the same problem, once for sure, maybe twice. They replaced the door hinges if I recall correctly. I can check my service papaerwork later when I am at home. What ever they did, fixed the problem.

Mike

#3 ·
Also do a search for similar issues that may involve a broken wire in the caterpillar tracking for the wires that carry power to the door from the vehicle frame. There has been alot of write ups on this very issue. Problems relate to door hinges as stated above and the fual flap sensor on the drivers side door even though yours is the passenger side door.

KC.

#4 ·
ESADORNED - After reading these responses and mulling it over, I think you're right that it is a broken power wire in the caterpillar tracking. As the caterpillar bends while the door is opening, it must create a short right. I suspect that the short is right where the caterpillar bends when the door stops, which would stop power to the door motor. Do you have more info?

#5 ·
Door Stopping

Does the door just stop or do your hear a springing sound when the door stops?

Mike

#7 ·
No noise

Then I agree, it might be a short. Ours you definatley heard a springing noise (as in sprung) when the door stopped.

Mike

#8 ·
Yea, I really need to find my volt meter to figure out if there is a short in mine too. It is getting really annoying.

HERE is the thread with some pics that can get you started.

#9 ·
Just an update...I wimped out and brought the van to the dealership. I told them that the problem is likely a short in one of the wires located the catipillar drive. They called back and said that the problem was with the wire harness (I presume we're talking the same thing) and would cost $274 to fix. I probably could have bought the part myself and fixed it, saving maybe half the cost.

#10 ·
EXT Warranty

I am so glad I purchased an exended warranty on our 2004. It has paid for itself. Allthough the damn rear heat tubes werent covered by it, if it were I would really be jumping for joy.

Cudd

#11 ·
I am so glad I purchased an exended warranty on our 2004. It has paid for itself.
How much did the warranty cost? What repairs were covered, and how much did they save you?

I'd like to know the details of how it has paid for itself.

#12 ·
My sister-in-law got the 7-70K extended warranty for her near identically equiped '05 T&C. I wish I had as well. Issues so far:

Battery covered under 3/36
Airbag sensor covered under 3/36
Airbag sensor, originally out of pocket but refunded under recall
Powersteering pump and resevoir - out of pocket
Power Door - out of pocket

Probably others, but I spent at least $1000 on out of pocket expenses. Any vehicle that I get in the future will have the best warranty available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.