The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Leaking steering rack

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  chad_webb 
#1 ·
I only found one thing in other posts about a Leaking steering rack. My questions are. What all needs to be replaced? Does the whole rack need to be replaced? Where do you all get your parts?

Thanks and who knew that there would be a Chrysler mini van fan site???

#2 ·
Can you see where abouts it is leaking?
Maybe at the hose? There was a recall for upgraded hoses about 2 or 3 years ago.

How much is leaking? 1 or 2 drips overnight or more like a puddle?
How often oil top ups, once a year? How much?

Can expect more drips in the winter = common for seals that are cold and stiff.....

Does the steering feel fine otherwise?

> Need more info, mileage/year of van?

#3 ·
Answers

2004 Town & Country LX model Mileage just went over 60,000

Can you see where abouts it is leaking? IT IS COMING OUT OF THE BOOT

Maybe at the hose? There was a recall for upgraded hoses about 2 or 3 years ago.
I CHECKED THE HOSE AND IT LOOKED GOOD. THE FLUID IS COMING OUT OF THE TIE ROD BOOT

How much is leaking? 1 or 2 drips overnight or more like a puddle? IT IS A GOOD SIZE PUDDLE NOW. STARTED AS A DRIP

How often oil top ups, once a year? How much? ONCE A YEAR. NOT THAT MUCH. i CAN SEE IT HAS GONE DOWN LATELY THOUGH.

Can expect more drips in the winter = common for seals that are cold and stiff.....

Does the steering feel fine otherwise? THE STEERING DOES FEEL FINE. THERE IS A VIBRATION AT 65-70MPH WHICH I DONT KNOW IF ITS RELATED OR NOT.

> Need more info, mileage/year of van?

#4 ·
I had a car with a leak into the steering rack boot. (Steering was fine)

It only required fluid occasionally (over 5 years, only one bottle of PS Fluid, a pint IIRC)

When the oil-filled boot finally tore it made a mess, but I cleaned up the gunk and installed a new boot. :eekkkk:

That should hold me a few more years (and it's a darn sight cheaper than replacing a steering rack).:beerchug:

#7 ·
I already tried the one guaranteed to work. needless to say it did not work and it leaks more now than before. I will tear it apart soon (this weekend to see what I can see. Hopefully it is only seal)

I just wanted to know if anyone else had seen this happen yet? Thanks for all the info and help so far..

#6 ·
I only found one thing in other posts about a Leaking steering rack. What all needs to be replaced? Does the whole rack need to be replaced? Where do you all get your parts?
This is really a great forum. Lots of help.
Steering racks can be expensive. On my Avalon the dealer put on a "remanufactured" rack, and it still cost $500, but better then $800.
I don't remember many failures being mentioned here with these vans. I suppose some with say the stop leak stuff might help. I used "Trans-X" once in the transmission with good results, but these products can swell seals TOO much I am told.
I would say it's not just a boot problem but a high pressure seal inside the boot.
Google "Mopar Parts" and you will find a bunch of options. Some want to look for genuine OEM parts, others want something cheap that works...:cry:

#8 ·
If you know of a reputable place that can re-seal the rack, I'd recommend removing it and having them re-seal the rack for you. Not because you can't re-seal it yourself, but because there's a good chance you may not get it right the first time, and you then get to remove the rack and repeat the whole process again.....and get to have the vehicle re-aligned....again. If your time is worth very little to you, then this may be the option for you.

Alternative is to simply replace the entire rack with a quality rebuilt or remanufactured unit, the idea being that you value your time a bit more. Not to say that a new rack is never bad, but less likely than a problem with your re-seal job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.