Rust strut tower

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rust strut tower

Thanks

Rust strut tower

Hi Folks
    My loyal 99'T&C has developed some rust on the strut tower, but it is on the passenger side ( not on the driver side like everybody has).
    The top layer has been rusted through about a 2" crack, and the bottom tower is about rust down about 1/8" deep.
    It is not too bad, but I want to keep the T&C as long as possible and It really runs well.
    Anyway, I took her to the local body shop and get the quote for 120.00 to fix the tower.
    The shop owner is well aware that the rust problem on the strut towers for 96'- 00 Magic wagon, and he also know about the repair kit.
    So he suggest to grind off all the rust and use the aluminum putty to patch up. But he said eventually the rust will still come back.
    Now the rust on the strut tower is just about only cosmetic issue and not yet effect the safety.
    Should I go ahead fix the problem for 120.00 or wait till it get worse and use the repair kit?
    Thanks for all replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Could anyone post a photo of what a "bad" one looks like? I looked through the archives and only found a couple of photos on ones that had been repaired.

Aluminum putty? I thought the recommended repair adhesive was some kind of structural epoxy that runs about $33-55/tube, and you need 2 tubes/strut tower.
    2003 Honda Odyssey EXL (3.5L)
    1997 Town & Country LXi (3.8L)
    1992 Honda Accord LX (2.2L)
    1990 Chevy K2500 (5.7L TBI)

Thanks

Tough to say T&C man without putting eyes on it. In those situations I always say if in doubt, do it. Why take a chance with you and yours? $120 sounds like a good price.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 206K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

I had it started on both sides on my 2000 T&C. I was upset as I have owned since new and always washed the mud and salt out of all the areas where rust starts, like the strut towers. The cracks were about 1 1/2" long. They started where the seam is in the center over the strut where the hole is for the strut to mount. I removed the wiper assembly and the front struts, then sandblasted all the rust from the top and the bottom. After sandblasting it was clear that the rust was MUCH worse than it looked. Next I welded in new metal, then epoxy primed it. Then I seam sealed the joints (why didn't chrysler think of this!!!) and coated everything with undercoating. That was several years ago. I have been keeping a close eye on it and it has not reappeared (yet). It is super important to clean this area very well.

Thanks

Hmmm, some vans thow belts, some don't. Some vans develop debilitating rust on the strut towers, some don't. Our 1998 hasn't done either. Hmmm (again), I wonder if there is some sort of a correlation there? Kind of like vans that thow belts get rusty towers and those that don't, don't.

Donning my nomex and ducking for cover.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro (5-Speed manual)
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2009 Mazda3 i Touring (5-Speed manual)
    2012 VW GTI (6-Speed manual)

Thanks

Well, the belt never came off my van either, in 75,000 miles. I was replacing the power steering pump, belt and tensioner so I decided to throw the gates kit on for piece of mind. An ounce of prevention... As for the rust, I don't think vehicles can see any more salt than mine do in the winter. I wash it off as best I can, but it still does damage. My strut towers were better than the ones I've seen in the local wrecking yards. They did not look too bad, before I sand blasted the rust revealing the true extent of the damage. Here, too I did the work to prevent more expensive trouble later. I keep my vehicles a long time, and I keep them in tip-top condition. I also fixed some rust starting on the rear lift gate, one wheel well and rocker panel seams. My van looks much better than other vans the same age. Other vans are rusting in places where mine still has no evidence of rust, like the bottom of the sliding doors and quarter panels

Thanks

Get the strut tower replacement caps from Chrysler dealer. I think they are less than $50/side. They say to use an epoxy but I always weld them in. Drill some extra hole in the cap and weld it good. Won't ever rust thru again as long as you drive it.

Thanks

I am aware of the repair caps. Mine are not bad enough for these, and hopefully if I keep after them they won't be. There is a design flaw in the way the strut tower is manufactured. There are two layers of steel in the tower sandwiched together, with an open seam between the two. I welded, epoxy primed then seam sealed this seam so hopefully mine is done rusting now. Time will tell...

Thanks

I think that the "Design Flaw" view of the strut towers has been disproved. As I undrestand it, the vans that had the towers prepared according to the design specificaitons develop absolutely zero rust on the towers.

I'll take a shot of my towers tomorrow and post it. The towers have withstood over 9 years and 150,000 miles of NYC and Boston metro area winter road salt, and as will be clearly seen, they look practically new.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro (5-Speed manual)
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2009 Mazda3 i Touring (5-Speed manual)
    2012 VW GTI (6-Speed manual)

Thanks

rust

If you live in a salt area do it now and get everything coated up and fixed . In a high salt area this could get real bad in a single season . Leaving any rusted area exposed to salt will destroy that area in a short time.
    2014 Dodge Grand Caravan AVP
    Deep Cherry Red
    5000 miles
    2008 Isuzu Ascender
    Midnight Blue Metallic
    72000 miles

+ Reply to Thread