The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

99 Caravan 3L noisy lifters

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  shipo 
#1 ·
Hi all, My 99 Caravan has 60,000 miles and in general has been pretty good, the usual repairs, brakes, 1 cv joint, speed control. I am religious on oil/filter changes and Tranny fluid changes especially on these trannys. I have always had noisy lifters on this vehicle starting at 30,000 miles just one or two and only on idle. Now it has gotten a little noisier and just anoying if I have to sit and wait for someone and have the car idle. Has any one else experienced this problem? I have tried engine flush and Wynns lifter aditive. no help.
Thank you
lenl

#2 ·
Leni, I have a 99 also and always thought the lifters were somewhat loud compared to other engines. I'm at 135k now with no problems. Always change the oil at 3k. Depending on your climate, you might try heavier oil or an additive like STP. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

#3 ·
Our 1998 has noisy lifters following a cold start as well. Errr, at least it used to, the secret is to find an oil filter with a very good Anti-DrainBack valve. The filter that works the best on our van is a Motorcraft FL-1A (available at both Walmart and Autozone, and I'm sure many other retailers), and starting from the second start after you spin it on, you will get absolutely zero valve train clatter.

#4 ·
I could be wrong, but doesn't switching to synthetic oil also help dampen that noise?

#5 ·
Nope, not even a little. Unless I miss my guess, the problem is that on the Gen 3 vans, the oil filter is tilted at about a sixty degree angle (just guessing here), and some how it seems that the anti-drainback valve on most oil filters is simply incapable of preventing the oil in the system above the filter from draining back into the oil pan. While I'm sure that there are other filters that are capable of keeping the valve train quiet following a cold start, the only one that I absolutely know for sure that keeps it quiet is the FL-1A Ford/Motorcraft filter.

Filters that I know that DO NOT keep the valve train quiet:
  • Bosch 3500
  • Bosch 3402
  • Napa Gold 1515
  • Napa Gold 1348
  • Denso 150-1002

Filters that I've run in the past but don't remember if they keep the valve train quiet:
  • Mobil 1 MI-204
  • Mobil 1 MI-301

#6 ·
Thanks for the replys, The lifters are noisy on initial start and also after it has warmed up. When it is warm there are only one or two that are ticking. Quite annoying. I usually use a good quality FRAM filter and have been pretty religious on oil changes, also tried a flush and Wynns noisy valve additive. I think Wynns is a carbon buster to remove debris from the engine. anyway it didn't help much. I sometimes think the oil pressure might be a little low and the lifters are not getting enough oil. I dont think they are adjustable like the old chevys. I am going to maybe try a thicker additive. If this does not help I will probably replace the lifters.
Thanks again.
Long live Dodge
Lenl

#9 ·
Another vote that Fram is junk due to the glued paper end-caps. I am about to switch to the FLA-1 myself as I use it in another car, and it ups the oil capacity by about 1/2 quart.

Some synthetic actually is nosier than Dino. Mobil 1 is noisy in some motors. Penzoil Platinum is the darling of group 3 synthetics, at the moment, over on Bob Is The Oil Guy due to good UOA numbers. It also is reported to be quiet. So if your thinking synthetic check that forum out.

Marvel Mystery Oil added to Dino crank case oil will clean/quiet hydraulic lifters in a few days of use, if the problem is due to crud in the lifter. This is from personal experience on many motors over a 20 year period. I use it in everything I own, unless I have switched it to synthetic. It cleans up motors and actually makes them run smoother, again personal experience. That would be my first step to see if it quiets them down, as well as switching filters at the next oil change.

#10 ·

dont use mobil 1 , I tried this in my 3.0 when I had it and the thing sounded like a diesel after I put that in . Went back to Dino 10W-30 and it quieted right down . You also could try going thru the Auto-RX treatment , I have read that this will fix this problem too in a lot of cases .

#11 ·
Fram no good ehh. Well that shows you what advertising can do. Im going to have to switch oil filters. I have not seen Marvel mystery oil around here but I have seen Lucas Heavy-Duty oil stabilizer. I saw the deal abut it on bobtheoilguy and the foaming. some people swear by it? Ill have to give this other stuff a look see.

Thanks

Lenl:ThumbsUp:

#12 ·
MMO = Snake Oil :p

I saw an analysis of MMO a couple of years back and it turns out to simply be a very light oil with some detergent in it, oil that will effectively reduce the viscosity of your engine oil if you add it to the crankcase, and oil that can potentially harm your fuel injectors if you add it to the gas tank.

Like the SeaFoam post that is currently active, these products seem to be answers to questions that nobody has asked. Follow the care and feeding recommendations in the Owner's Manual of your car and your car should deliver hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.