The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Radiator fan motor seized

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RIP 
#1 ·
Recently had a p1491 and found that one of the fan motors (passenger side) is seized and was blowing the 40A fuse every time they tried to start. Will remember to try turning the fans by hand before replacing $50 relays! I disconnected that individual fan and it seems to be enough for the moment (but the CEL is still on.)

What I'm wondering is does anyone know if an individual motor/fan can come out of the assembly to be replaced? A single fan is half the price at the salvage yard... I would pull it out and look myself but a wrist injury is preventing me from doing so at the moment.

#3 ·
So according to the manual:

There are no repairs to be made to the fan or shroud assembly. If the fan is warped, cracked, or otherwise damaged, it must be replaced as a assembly.
... Which to me is totally BS. If you have the time, tools or a friend willing to help it's not such a hard task. The hardest part is to remove the assembly. Once removed you will see that's really easy to change the motor! Just be sure to buy a good junkyard one! You may connect it, trying to see if it works and if it's the SES light will go off.

Check what Dorman did?:

Can you see what they did? :)

#4 ·
Yup. Only challenge there would be getting the fan off the motor shaft but can't imagine that being a major deal. Anytime I see the term "must be replaced" I get a smile on my face. Many of those can be fixed if you put a little effort into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.