2005 Town & Country LX Electrical Problems

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Town & Country LX Electrical Problems

Thanks

2005 Town & Country LX Electrical Problems

2005 Chrysler Town & Country LX
    49,205 miles
    DRL's <----

I bought this Town & Country after driving it and Car Faxing it last Thursday the 27th. Car Fax and dealer informed me that this was a Chrysler Fleet car used at a Pennsylvania dealer for "rental" when people were having their cars repaired. After 49,000 miles of that it was auctioned off.

The car as far as drive train, etc., is very nice and I am satisfied. But, have now noticed that I some electrical gremlins that I did not notice during my daytime test drives:

1) All interior courtesy lights, radio clock display, PRND3L, Odometer, marking lights, headlights, taillights and even rear license plate light go through periods of lights very, very noticeably (annoyingly) flickering. Even the DRL's will do this I have now noticed.

2) Sometimes when this happens all gauges move up and down rapidly (from their true indication down below and back to true over and over) until all of this returns to normal. I have called out to Christine but have received no answer.

3) When all of the above happens, sometimes for bonus points, the brake and ABS lights flicker on and off rapidly but then go back to normal when all else does, too.

4) For two days my radio was possessed as well, and it could not be turned off, nor could I change any channels or switch from AM/FM. Suddenly, today, I was able to turn it off and change channels.

5) Sometimes while driving and listening to the radio, etc., with the heater on and such, everything will shut off for perhaps a 1/4 second and then come back on.

6) Despite this, and with the brief exception of the radio, all power options, HVAC, etc., functions correctly otherwise.

I will say I would like to look at the grounds for this vehicle, but I do not presently own a factory shop manual (I own a HELMS for all of my GM's) so I am at a basic loss. Plus, we are suddenly having a cold snap currently, and am intending to go to the dealer on Friday and let them have a look. Does anyone have any ideas of what this may be that I could do before taking it in? I do almost all of my own work on all of my cars and if pointed in the right direction with the proper tools I can likely take care of it or give it a darn good shot.

I'm a little disappointed because I went out of my way to buy another MOPAR after how completely fantastic my bought new 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 has been from anything to family vehicle to daily driver to boat hauler.

I promise that whatever the answer is, if it is found out, I will update this post, too, for those that may do a search.

Thanks for any advice or tips you may provide.
    1987 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible LB9/G92/J65/5-speed
    1989 Wellcraft Scarab III w/ twin 454 Mercruiser Bravo's
    1990 Camaro IROC-Z L98/G92/J65 & only 33,000 miles 11.66 @ 117.20
    1992 Four Winns Liberator 2012004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 (Off Road pckg, 4.10's, Tow pckg)
    2005 Chrysler Town & Country LX
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" -- Johnny Rotten
    Moderator at Thirdgen.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Your battery is about to die.
    2005 model, the battery lasts 4 years to the day, then kapoot.

Thanks

Yup. I would almost bet money on it. My 07 had a weak battery and exibited the symptoms you were describing to a "T" except my power locks would go nuts too. New battery and all is well.
    HyperFox
    Proud to serve my country! Support your Canadian Troops!
    2007 Dodge Grand Caravan Stow-N-Go
    Visit my blog: http://hyperfox2007.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I admit, I've dealt a lot with weak batteries but have never seen a car react in this way. The fact that two people come up with this answer makes me very hopeful that this is all that is wrong.

I'll do a load test on it tomorrow as well as just check the battery health, though I'm tempted to go out and do it right now at 0433 EST, lol. I think I'll go ahead and pick up a spare Optima Red Top on my way home tomorrow (I'll make sure it fits before I buy).

Thanks, I hope you all are correct, that would be nice. I promise I will update as soon as I know something one way or the other.

Thanks

I agree with the previous posters. However, did you get a warranty from that dealer when you bought the van? Any kind of warranty? If you did, I would have them check it out. If it has the original battery, I would replace it anyway.
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DSMLVR View Post
    I agree with the previous posters. However, did you get a warranty from that dealer when you bought the van? Any kind of warranty? If you did, I would have them check it out. If it has the original battery, I would replace it anyway.
    Seems to me that really cold temperatures seem to cause all kinds of trouble. I do know it is hard on the power steering pump. Also where you have wiring connectors maybe with semi loose connections, the cold shrinks the wire and might cause trouble.
    2005 T&C Limited-105K, 99 Volvo S70-220K, 01 Accord EX-153K, 94 Volvo 940-316K, 99 Avalon 156K

Thanks

Weak batteries cause all sorts of odd problems with modern, electronically-laden cars. If it's not the battery, it may be a problem with the alternator, but I'd lay a small amount of money on the battery. The battery SHOULD be only 2-3 years old, but you never know. The fact that the van was a previous loaner may mean that it was subject to all sorts of odd treatment. It may have been left for long periods with the radio running, the dealer may have used it to jump dead batteries in their lot, etc. They may have even switched batteries out on another new car looking for a problem on it...you never know. Dealers do weird things. On the plus side, you can be pretty sure that it was always serviced well and on time. After you get this (hopefully easy) problem solved, you should be good to go for a nice long while.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

2-3 year old batteries often fail especially with a cold snap.

Just replace the battery in Mom's chrysler after 37 months. All old electrical gremlins fixed.

Allen
    2005 T&C Touring. 3.8L Midnight Blue. 139K

Thanks

Update:

Seeing so many certain it was the battery I went ahead and did that. In my limited time of driving it after putting in the battery it seems to have corrected everything. I am still a little shocked. I am no stranger to either new cars (OBD I's) and (OBD II's) and have never experienced a bad battery doing anything like that to a single one of my GM's. My '97 Camaro SS # 379 is a perfect example of that. Anyway, a huge thanks to you all on that. Easy fix.

I still took it to the dealer, as they have to fix under my warranty from purchasing the spare tire winch. It would not wind the tire up and left it hanging on the ground, apparently, so it was cut and the spare tire and carrier was in the cargo area. So, they ordered when I bought the van a new one to install and it will be tomorrow morning.

Basically all should be well. I still hate to admit I really like this van.

Thanks

And, if you're still feeling nostalgic for the eGremlins, you can fire up the crazy disco dancing dashboard - if you push and hold the trip odometer reset...

-Jim

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply