The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Speedometer needle stuck on wrong side of pin

68K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  purpleron 
#1 ·
I took my gauge cluster out to change the bulbs. When I drove it to work, I noticed that the speedometer needle is on the wrong side of the pin (the one that keeps the need from reading below 0 MPH). Everything else works, including the odometer. Anyone deal with this? It's for the '01 Voyager with the 3.3l.

#2 ·
Do a search. It has been covered before in here. Mine has done it a few times. Did not fix it, just drove it and it fixed itself. Oh yea, my real fix was: MAKE AN APPOINTMENT with the dealer to have it fixed. The day came to take it in and it was working that morning BEFORE I took it in, and has work in over a year and a half since, with no problems. :rolleyes:
You know the drill. It is working so we can do nothing here at the service department. :jpshakehe

#3 ·
Very simple fix. I believe on your van you have just a single button to reset the trip/odometer.

With the van off and key removed, just hold that button down until the cluster begins its Reset/Diagnostic. The gauges will start dancing and reset back to normal.

#4 ·
This is probably the easiest fix that I've ever received on a forum…just push a button. I've been actively involved on this forum for some time and this is the first I've heard of this diagnostic. The dashboard Christmas light show is pretty cool too. Thanks!

#5 ·
I had a Ford F-150 rental truck do the same thing. It also wasn't adding miles.

However, guilt took over. For grins, I reset the trip odometer, and Viola! It was fixed.

#8 ·
When I received my new cluster the needles were on the wrong side of the pin after shipping. All I had to do was to turn the cluster upside down and let gravity put the needle back on the correct side of the pin. I suspect when it was removed that gravity let the pin get on the wrong side. The needle is not restrained by a spring and the elctronics will put it back in place on the right side of the pin through a cluster reset as described in earlier posts.

Frank
99 DGC Sport 124150 mi
07 T&C SWB 10300 mi

#18 ·
Very happy to see this well known simple fix is helping so many keep bucks in their pocket and out of Chryslers'. It's on this forum several times and just about any forum dealing with Chrysler products. Unfortunately for some, they head to the dealer where they sometimes change the cluster charging several hundred bucks. Keep smilin.

#19 ·
My friends at the car lot had that same problem last week on an '02 caravan.. My friend Jay fixed it by unhooking the battery for a few minutes.... If only I had read this earlier, I could have saved him the trouble...

#21 ·
Just for the record, my 2 1/2 year old battery PERMANENTLY fixed the speedo needle "peg"... Since I replaced the battery in spring 2008, the needle doesn't jump or bounce when the engine starts. So I guess that is the first indication that the battery is getting weak.

#24 ·
Just to add my two pennies (cents!) worth. I had this problem after a flat battey and the Chrysler dealer looked me in the eye and said we need to take out the dash and turn the speedo module upside down and shake it!.
It would be about an hours labour so £120 (about $180?).
I remembered something from this site and looked it up and fixed it myself.

Many thanks Guys

#30 ·
Reactions: Road Ripper
#32 ·
My faulty battery caused the speedo to get stuck at 8mph and the rev counter at 2300rpm. I tried the trip button reset trick and the gauges go through the complete check process but always return to 8mph and 2300rpm. If I disconnect the battery the needles fall to the pins but on reconnection always jump back to the "new" positions - like the body controller has acquired some new values and won't relearn using the reset trick. Are the wrong readings an MOT fail? Apart from this I'm ready for the retest . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.