2004 Caravan Instrument Panel Bulb

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Caravan Instrument Panel Bulb

Thanks

2004 Caravan Instrument Panel Bulb

The bulb that lights the fuel gauge has burned out and the dealer has quoted $300 to replace it. Is it possible to replace it myself?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Yes, this is something you can do yourself, and very easily. simply remove the cluster and change out the bulbs, (do them all as they tend to all go at once anyway). Now for the downside. The Bulbs are PC74, meaning that they have a special base on them so they will screw in. You can not get them at the auto parts store, you have to get them at the dealer, I believe for around $5 each. Another option, which is what I did, is to go to www.superbrightleds.com and order from them. If you get the white LEDS, you will have true blue gauges, not the green. (if you like the green, go with a yellow or green LED) If you need more specific information let me know. Hope this helps.
    Present:
    2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Express
    2010 Chrysler Town & Country Touring 4.0
    2004 300M

Past:
    2006 Dodge Caravan SXT (sold 6-11)
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (traded 4-10)
    1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager Conversion Van (R.I.P)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Concorde300M For This Useful Post:

FamilyGuy76 (03-08-2011)

Thanks

I literally changed my gauge bulbs just 15 minutes ago. Here are the steps:

1. Remove the two screws on the inside top of the dash bezel.
    2. Remove the lower portion of the dash bezel by gently prying it up. This is the black piece over the steering column.
    3. Underneath the lower portion of the dash bezel, there are two more screws that hold the main piece of the dash bezel. Remove these.
    4. You can now remove the dash bezel. It is helpful to shift the gear selector lever out of park to give you more wiggle room.
    5. Remove the four screws the hold the gauge cluster in place.
    6. Tilt the gauge cluster forward. Remove the wire clamp so that you can remove the cluster. This took some wiggling back and forth.
    7. On the back of the cluster, you can remove the bulbs by gently twisting them with pliers.
    8. Replace the bulbs with new. The bulbs are PC74 and you can order them from rockauto.com. I replaced all eight.
    9. Reassemble doing the reverse of above.

I cannot believe you were quoted $300. It's $10 worth of parts and 20 minutes of time.
    2005 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L (100K miles and running strong)
    2001 Chrysler Voyager 3.3L Flex Fuel (220K miles and running strong)

Thanks

You can also get the bulbs at most auto parts stores, without the gray plastic housing that twists in. They're kind of a pain to get out, but it's not too hard to do. Each pair should set you back less than $3, so less than $12 for all 8...and do replace all 8. If you don't, one of the other bulbs won't work when you put the cluster back in.
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 120K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 98K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 75K mi

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I will replace the bulb (all of them) this weekend.

2004 Caravan SXT
    1996 Caravan LE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOnBlackCobra96 View Post

2. Remove the lower portion of the dash bezel by gently prying it up. This is the black piece over the steering column.
    3. Underneath the lower portion of the dash bezel, there are two more screws that hold the main piece of the dash bezel. Remove these.
    4. You can now remove the dash bezel. It is helpful to shift the gear selector lever out of park to give you more wiggle room.
    6. Tilt the gauge cluster forward. Remove the wire clamp so that you can remove the cluster. This took some wiggling back and forth.
    7. On the back of the cluster, you can remove the bulbs by gently twisting them with pliers.
    8. Replace the bulbs with new. The bulbs are PC74 and you can order them from rockauto.com. I replaced all eight.

I cannot believe you were quoted $300. It's $10 worth of parts and 20 minutes of time.

Very helpfull guide as I also need to replace a bulb in the console.

'97 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 ES

Thanks

Smile Replace PC74 with #74 bulb

To replace the PC74 simply break the old bulb out of the grey housing and gouge out the glass stub with a jewelers screwdriver. Be careful to move any wire stubs to each side and verify that the socket without a bulb does not have a short (No continuity).
    Then simply insert an off the shelf #74 bulb. Check for continuity between the two contact tabs or apply 12v to them to verify operation.
    I have done this several times on three different caravan/T&C's with no problems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOnBlackCobra96 View Post

This is a great post, and I used it today with success. One thing I did not do was to disconnect the wire harness. I could not get it off, and found that I could replace all of the 8 bulbs with the harness still intact. This required a little finesse to reach the bulbs, but was totally possible. Thanks for your original guidelines. Saved me a bundle. Best regards,

Thanks

This is a good thread. There needs to be a 4th GEN FAQ on common issues and fixes.

Some questions for the bulb gurus here. On my van it looks like the gauge faces around the 3 o'clock position are dim. Are there bulbs in this area, or is it purposely dimmer to discourage triple digit driving at redline? Does anyone know on a manual 3-zone temp control what bulbs are behind the temp sliders? Also behind the rear defrost button? Last one for now, is the hazard button supposed to be illuminated? Seems like it should be.

Thanks in advance,
    TL
    '03 Town & Country LX 3.8

Thanks

It sounds like you have two bulbs out. The speedometer and the tachometer are each illuminated by three bulbs.

My recommendation would be to remove all eight bulbs, so you won't have to do it again.
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 120K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 98K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 75K mi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mmahamm For This Useful Post:

06DGC (10-31-2013)

+ Reply to Thread