The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

***HELP, check engine code 43 and 12***

18K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RIP 
#1 ·
:help_wsig Hi there.

I have a 1998 plymouth voyager minivan with 113,000 miles. I just had the water pump replaced and timing belt serviced (engine was not reaching operating temperature, was leaking coolant and heater was not working properly). Since I got the van back, the engine has been sputtering and stalling and the check engine codes 12 and 43 are now showing. Took the van back to the mechanic and he says the #4 cylinder is misfiring. What should we be looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are planning on traveling during the holidays.

#2 · (Edited)
Mil code 43 can mean several things but, I'll assume your mechanic connected a scanner and is seeing "P" code P0304: http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/generic/p0304-cylinder-4-misfire-detected.php

You'll have to determine if it is spark related (most likely) or fuel related first. Could be as simple as a loose spark plug wire or as bad as a cracked block or head. If you and your mechanic start scratching your heads do a compression check.

Disregard code 12. It just means you previously disconnected the battery.

#3 ·
He may be showing a 43 and a 12. It is a 1998 model.

Here are the codes for you: http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

Code 43 may be:

-43 Peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time
OR
-43 Cylinder misfire
OR
-43 Problem in power module to logic module interface

Code 12 may be:

-12 Battery or computer recently disconnected

Good luck.

#4 · (Edited)
DSMLVR - Mil code 43 indicates either coil or a misfire conditions. One can produce the other but, I think it's safe to assume the Service Engine light is flagging a misfire because his mechanic is saying he's seeing a misfire on #4. IMHO the most logical way the mechanic determined that would be to connect a scanner and read the "P" codes. I'm assuming he is seeing a P0304 code indicating a misfire on #4 cyclinder. Codes P0353,352,351 indicate coil failures. At face value at least, that tells me the coil is good and the cause for the misfire lies elsewhere.

Mil code 12 is irrelevent. I'm getting these codes from a 96-98 Haynes manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.