The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

How has the reliability been with your 4th gen? Tell your story...

59K views 329 replies 45 participants last post by  Mopar-Mofun 
#1 ·
So after a discussion that gets brought up constantly about the reliability of these 4th gens, I thought it'd be a good idea to have everyone share their reliability experience with their 4th gens and the cost associated with it along with your current mileage

If you own a 5th gen and once owned a 4th gen, please chime in and tell us how reliable your 4th gen was as well.

I'll give you the rundown of my van which is currently sitting at approximately 204,000 kms.

We bought the van in 2008 with 78,215 kms and paid $14,700 CDN for the van

Here is the rundown:

$1500 for 2 sets of tires (including repairs for leaks (like 5 receipts for tire leaks lol) etc...)

$800 for 2 radiators which includes a tranny drop and fill

$50 for 5 quarts of tranny fluid

$1500 for CTC robbing my mom

$300 for blower motor and resistor

Brakes- $650

Batteries, Oil, Coolant, and other stuff- $660.

Water pump and Inlet tube- $300

So about $6000 including everything to date for 6 years. Would have been less if it wasn't for CTC and their useless repairs and outrageous labor charges. It seems so high because we were robbed all these years and paid high labor charges. Go figure. Now I found a good mechanic, so I'm saving a boat load of $$$.

In all, my van has been really reliable and i'm confident I can easily get another 200,000 problem free KMS out of her.

See less See more
#2 ·
'02 Caravan SE, bought new, now just past 150k miles. Most comfortable car We've had for long road trips. I won't go into minute detail for normal periodic maintenance.

Water pump, alternator, and both idler pulleys have each been replaced once. Van's been easy on tires; OE skins went 40k, then a set of Michelins went 80k. Currently on mid-grade Goodyears.

Front brake pads replaced twice. Entire rear axle brake system replaced at about 125k.

A/C system has never needed repairs. Still on the factory refrigerant charge. (I'm on borrowed time).

One ignition coil failed at about 145k. New coils and wires installed.

Driver's window regulator/motor ass'y gave up at about 140k miles.

My big complaint is the transmission. Front pump and some other components replaced at about 20k miles, under a recall. Erratic troubles with the PCM "losing its mind" about every other trans fluid change. Requires a re-learn procedure in order to shift correctly, just due to the change in friction characteristics with new fluid.

#3 ·
My big complaint is the transmission. Front pump and some other components replaced at about 20k miles, under a recall. Erratic troubles with the PCM "losing its mind" about every other trans fluid change. Requires a re-learn procedure in order to shift correctly, just due to the change in friction characteristics with new fluid.
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the van when new? As to the shifting issues after a tranny fluid change, its the typical bump shift, you didn't need to do a relearn, just live with it for 70 starts. I didn't notice it because we went on a long distance trip the same day we got the tranny fluid replaced.

You are right, great long road trip vehicles. Thanks for sharing.

#4 ·
I own the 1st year of the 4th gen (2001) and overall it has been a pretty reliable van. Mileage is somewhere around 150,000 miles now.
It has required more repairs than my Mazda, but nothing that really stands out.
Still has the original transmission, power steering pump, rack & pinion and struts. It keeps on going.
They usually tell you to stay away from the 1st year of a model change, but the Chrysler & my Mazda seem to be the exception to this.
I also own a 2009 Dodge GC.

#6 ·
We bought our van a little less than a year ago, with about 153k

Since ownership, numerous oil changes, replaced the tensioner pulley, today makes the 3rd brake job (due to a previously unknown issue), and tires. We have replaced the rear hatch handle, the headlights (one burned out), high mount brake light (also - burned out), both front rotors, and both front calipers. And a handful of wheel studs (due to the tire shop over tightening, I believe)

Oh, and we bought it from CarHop, who has a reputation of selling unreliable vehicles. Over all, I would say that our van has been pretty reliable.

My vehicle: 2002 Chrysler Voyager eC, 2.4L, 4spd Auto, 185k miles and counting

#7 ·
My van has been very reliable. The parts replaced in the last 2 years are (not including mods):

New alternator
New water pump
New steering rack

#8 ·
The van has been enormously useful, but reliability has been disappointing. It's a 2003 AWD GC with the 3.8 and now 155,000 miles.

Here's the list of repairs sans prices(maintenance excluded):
1. Transmission pump failed at about 25,000 miles and caused the tranny to slip in reverse. Pump replaced under warranty.
2. Transmission later started to downshift shift rough into second gear. Firmware was flashed, but the onboard computer failed and could not be flashed. New computer installed under warranty.
3. AC started to howl and was replaced under warranty. Compressor, condenser, etc...
4. Water pump leaked and was replaced under warranty.
5. Rear axle seal leaked and was replaced under warranty.
6. Alternator replaced.
7. Radiator replaced due to leak.
8. Transmission cooler hoses replaced at 60,000 miles due to leaks.
9. All metal coolant and radiator tubes replaced due to corrosion.
10. All four brake calipers replaced after seizing individually.
11. Transmission solenoid pack replaced due to leaks.
12. Lower intake, upper intake, valve cover, and oil pan seals all replaced due to leaks.
13. Sliding door lock actuator replaced.
14. Turn signal stalk replaced.
15. Transfer case output shaft seal replaced due to leaks.
16. Power steering reservoir replaced due to clogged metal filter.
17. Fuel injector wire bundle replaced due to heat damage.
18. Power steering rack replaced.
19. Inner and outer tie rods replaced.
20. Sway bar end links replaced twice.
21. Sway bar bushings replaced three times, and now needed again.
22. Front strut assemblies replaced
23. Tires replaced more times than I care to count. Normally I'd classify tires as maintenance, but this van eats them for breakfast. I can only get max 30,000 miles on a 70,000-80,000 tire. Multiple shops have told me the alignment is fine, but the outer blocks continue to be eaten alive. Expensive appetite.
24. Rust, rust, RUST! I don't see many vehicles this age with this kind of rust. It happens, but not often. I haven't had a vehicle rust on me since my 1983 Toyota 4X4 pickup. With the van I've had metal cut out and new Mopar steel installed, and the areas ground and treated three times. And it still rusts. I give up.

That's what I remember off the top of my head. This list doesn't include interior or exterior light replacements, brake pads or rotors, fluid changes, filter changes, alignments, regular paint polishing and sealing, etc...

We're shopping for a replacement now. While we've genuinely appreciated the utility of a van and the truly effective AWD while living in snowy states, we'll be shopping for something from a brand we trust a bit more in the reliability department. Most likely we'll buy a 2015 Subaru Outback as our interior space needs are now less than when we purchased the Grand Caravan.

#9 ·
Holy $hit tvguy - you got the ultimate Monday morning special, and even the robots must have been hung over for that one :jpshakehe

Not what you need to hear, but my experience has been just the opposite. Just a few of the more common DIY things that we all know and love. WP, PS clogged res screen, rusted inlet WP tube, O2 sensor, and some lower body rust repairs. It's been very good on brakes and tires, and MPG is adequate for a van.

In fact, I think so highly of these 4 gens that in April I drove down to N.C. and bought a rust-free '05 GC for my daughter. About the only major complaint I have about these vans is the rust factor - very unfortunate for an otherwise solid vehicle.

#10 ·
2001 Dodge Caravan SE - leased new for less than 80,000km - nothing but wear & tear (oil, brakes, tires)

2004 Dodge Caravan - leased new for less than 80,000km - never ending warranty issues + wear & tear (oil, brakes, tires)

2007 Dodge Caravan SXT - leased new to 68,000km - nothing but wear & tear (oil, brakes, tires)

#11 · (Edited)
I think my van has been pretty reliable but I don't know whether it's from quality manufacturing or my obsessive maintenance. Maybe a little of both? Current mileage (251 000Km)

What is listed below is things that 'had' to be done. Most of my costs accrued are from 'preventative' maintenance and upgrades

Repair/ Cost/ Comment

a/c lines, compressor and rear evaporator/ $900.00 Evaporator was covered by Chrysler. Other damage was caused by unsealed system.
front calipers $400.00 Pretty pleased as they lasted almost 230 000km
front and rear rotors/pads $400.00+/- Once, with labour
front rotors and pads $100.00+/- self-installed
front struts $350.00 I could have gotten away with strut mounts but went whole hog
alternator $210.00 -----
EGR valve $70.00 self-installed - no labour
sway bar end links $80.00 self-installed - no labour

Some things I've done that I probably didn't really need to:

Repair Cost Comment

sway bar bushings 5 sets x 20 = $100.00+/- Not a safety issue, more just noise abatement
front motor mount $100.00 due to a mis-diagnosis
liftgate high brake light $10.00 Thanks, 04!
headlight assemblies $75.00 Thanks Ebay!
Water pump supply tube $35.00 Thanks Amazon!

I'm too lazy to actually add it all up, but suffice to say, it's been fairly economical to operate given that it has over 250 000km. I likely missed a few minor things though.

I won't bother going into my mods...:)

EDIT: Sorry about the formatting. I guess it gets messed up in posting. I had neat little columns...Oh, well.

#12 ·
What mods do you have?

#20 ·
2007 Grand SXT

One of the best vehicles I have owned so far and it's my first mini-van, should have bought one 20 years ago when the kids were young. It's got 156,000 miles or 249,448 kms and so far nothing majour. Bought it 2 years ago through my sister with about 142,000 miles on it, all highway miles. Nice thing is the original owner kept all his reciepts for any work that was done. He's a really nice guy and let me have it for $3750, he bought a new 2012 GC to replace it. So far both sliding doors had their drive systems replaced/upgraded under warranty. I have replaced the coil pack, my first one for a Chrysler and I just recently had to replace the water pump and idler pulley. Other than this it's just been brakes and tires but, I haven't done any yet, van came with new brakes and UniRoyal tires. Best traction control of any vehicle I have driven. Without the traction control I can lay rubber in 1st, 2nd, and chirp in 3rd (sometimes). I have a laptop OBD2 diagnostic/dynometer program and according to it I'm getting 226hp at the tires with the 3.8L must be the K&N air filter. Just starting to get some surface rust which, I'll fix this summer with Por-15.

I'm very impressed with it starting in -35 winter weather and not plugged in, no block heater just battery warmer but, it's getting a block heater this summer. It failed to start once last winter (-38), so I wrapped the motor in blankets, stuck a car warmer under the blankets for 4 hrs. and away she went. I have to admit that I have lots of experience working on these vans with my best friend who owns 5 of them, he gave one to each of his daughters and one to his wife. We have done things like put fuel injection on a 2.6L which gave it the power of a stock 3.0L. We even put a 5 spd manual trans up to a 3.0L van with AWD. We also put custom cams and a MegaSquirt on it. Next we are putting a supercharger on it from a grand prix.

Ray

#22 ·
Yup I'm from Winnipeg (Winterpeg) and it is a U.S. model in fact it is from Minneapolis Minnesota, block heaters are optional on U.S. bound vans and standard on Canada bound vans. Previous owner kept it in a heated garage all the time, must be nice to do that.

Ray

#24 ·
Maybe it would help to break this Thread down into categories/systems, similar to what the Haynes Manual uses, to facilitate providing information and to glean information from what's provided, like:
1. Engine
2. Cooling, heating and air conditioning systems
3. Fuel and exhaust systems
4. Engine electrical systems
5. Emissions and engine control systems
6. Transmission/transaxle/driveline
7. Brakes
8. Suspension and steering systems
9. Body
10. Chassis electrical system

#25 ·
07 Caravan SXT SWB

The van from a reliability standpoint was pretty good . Think we had 2 issues in the 107000 miles of driving before we got rid of it. Had the famous chrysler EGR valve issue and that had to be replaced and the fan solenoid went out on it and that was replaced .
Had the 3.3 liter which was a great engine albeit a little underpowered. 2 brake jobs , couple set of tires . Great that it was reliable but doesn't really matter if it has poor body integrity. Had the famous rust issue along the hood and passenger side and was why we got rid of it at 107K, still ran great . Now have a 2014 AVP model hopefully it will be a little more corrosion resistant .

#30 ·
Despite all the troubles I've had with my van, I've been pleasantly surprised by the affordability of Mopar OEM parts compared to my German and Japanese cars in the past. While repairs have been more frequent than my Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus, the parts are less expensive in many cases. Plus the van has been relatively easy to work on despite a V6, front wheel drive transmission, and transfer case crammed into a relatively small engine compartment.

At 155,000 miles and going on 11 years of ownership (has it been that long??), I don't hold any animosity when things go wrong these days. Repairs should be expected at this age. Sure, I could be angry at all the early repairs, and there were times I regretted venturing into my first Dodge, but the van has served its purpose well all these years with far more practicality than a similar volume SUV. I still don't mind driving it daily and trust it for long family trips.

#31 ·
'01 Grand Caravan. Bought used with 62,000km(40,000miles) retired at 190,000km(110,000miles)

No idea as to what mileage these repairs were made, or in what order for that matter but here goes...

Brakes 3 sets of pads on front, 2 sets of rotors. Once set of shoes on rear, with drums and wheel cylinders.
A/C compressor
Starter
Tie rod passenger side
Stablizer links and bushings
Quick struts (VERY DISAPPOINTING)
Rear shocks
Air bags in rear to compensate for very weak leaf springs
Valve cover gaskets
Intake and plenum gaskets
Thermostat (3 I think)
Plugs/wires
Coil pack
Exhaust from cat converter back

I'm sure there is probably more... but I can't recall any at the moment. Van is still on the road... I traded it on my '07 and I still see the '01 occasionally. I traded it due to body cancer and a very burnt smelling transmission.

#32 ·
Mine is a 2005 and it has been very reliable. We bought it about 3 years ago with 85,000 miles on it and it currently has about 114,000. I changed the battery, serpentine belt, plugs and wires, and transmission fluid and anti-freeze when I got it as preventative maintenance. Only unplanned repairs have been the multi-function switch for the turn signals ($40) and I replaced the power steering fluid reservoir ($35) because it was clogging up and making the pump noisy. To date, it has been the most comfortable and reliable vehicle we have ever owned.

#34 ·
My 03 SXT is acceptably reliable.

Tires, brake, spark plugs/wires, drive belt, bulbs, ATF change, and engine coolant flush are not in consideration, as they have not shown premature failures.

Problems to be solved:
Leaking rack and pinion
Leaking crank shaft rear main seal
Slow leak of a tire due to rim problem (2psi/month)

Work performed:
Engine
upper intake and valve cover gaskets, water pump, water pump inlet steel pipe, heater return steel pipe, coolant rubber hoses, EVAP hoses, oil pan gasket.
Transmission: Solenoid pack.
Others
Driveer side window regulator, sway bar linkage rods, rear shocks, front struts, rusted leaf spring rear mount assembly (not necessary but did not know)

Orginal OE parts in excellent shapes:
Alternater: good voltage output, good ripple voltage amplitude and shape.
Starter: less than one crank to start and good voltage waveform
Rear drum brake: just painted a few days ago
Outer tie rod ends.

#35 ·
My 03 SXT is acceptably reliable.

Tires, brake, spark plugs/wires, drive belt, bulbs, ATF change, and engine coolant flush are not in consideration, as they have not shown premature failures.

Problems to be solved:
Leaking rack and pinion
Leaking crank shaft rear main seal
Slow leak of a tire due to rim problem (2psi/month)

Work performed:
Engine
upper intake and valve cover gaskets, water pump, water pump inlet steel pipe, heater return steel pipe, coolant rubber hoses, EVAP hoses, oil pan gasket.
Transmission: Solenoid pack.
Others
Driver side window regulator, sway bar linkage rods, rear shocks, front struts, rusted leaf spring rear mount assembly (not necessary but did not know)

Original OE parts in excellent shapes:
Alternator: good voltage output, good ripple voltage amplitude and shape.
Starter: less than one crank to start and good voltage waveform
Rear drum brake: just painted a few days ago
Outer tie rod ends.
Is this what you call acceptable? :help_wsig It is horrible... now I feel much, much better! And you have 3,000 miles less than me... it is perfectly proving my point!

#36 ·
Those problems will not immediately kill the engine or immediately be safety issues unless being neglected for a long time. Bottom line is no sudden failure.
It is definitely not acceptable to my neighbor who just expects changes of filters, oil, etc for their Sienna.
Sadly, Chrysler will change to the ugly design of next generation van and start a completely new generation when I will be about to buy a new van. I usually do not buy a new car with many changes from previous years. New technologies need time to be matured.

#39 ·
Sounds like a lot of bad luck with your van. But, depending on millage, some of that looks like it could be just regular maintenance - gaskets, seals, belts, bearings, ect.

Also sounds like you live in a very corrosive environment to have to replace the spare tire assembly, rocker panels, IPM (depending on what the problem was), and some of the other things you listed.

My vehicle: 2002 Chrysler Voyager eC, 2.4L, 4spd Auto, 187k miles and counting

#42 ·
The mileage is much lower than your van... those major gaskets are not regular maintenance as the manufacturer do not recommend when to change them, not even the main belt...

That's the Canadian winter effect... but these vans are build (or supposed to be) for such harsh conditions! As we may see. almost everyone has rust issues big time... we'll see soon the new models how they resist to winter weather.

#40 ·
I'm pretty sure his spare tire wouldn't drop and was "suggested" to replace the mechanism. Mine wouldn't drop and after a while of tinkering, I got it down and the mechanism's totally functional with no issues what so ever.

By far, the suspension on these vans are awesome! Never had to touch a single thing and the van drives nice and straight~ no issues there.

#44 · (Edited)
Actually it was not replaced... it was fixed with the 'little' help from a big hammer :) My guy is very smart... he never does that! I remember there is there a useless little part that is causing this situations... it was eliminated and everything is fine since than... but this was a small $25 job and no new parts involved... the rest is killing my budget... under 10,000 miles per year and so many repairs is completely... I do not find the word.... reminds me of the cars from the 70-80

#43 ·
It is true... I did it only after replacing tie rods (twice)... should be done after replacing joint balls too...

#45 ·
Yes, no transmission or suspension or AC issues... knock on wood!

While driving every time I hear any mechanical strange noise around, my heart starts beating faster: what is it now? Luckily it is not my car making it :cool:

#48 ·
the next future headache for cars will be software updates like your PC ....
I'm sorry, I can't get to work because my cars software updated, I got the blue screen of death, and now my car won't start.

Get ready for car software updates:
http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/04/technology/security/car-update/

With everything going wireless, it is happening in cars as well.
The cars network was not designed for wireless, or security, so it is uncharted territory for some car manufacturers.
There are some good articles on the web concerning these issues.

#50 ·
Lol. Cars do NOT need wireless capabilities outside of BT. And even with that, the RADIO is the only thing that should be accessible via a BT connection. Best way to do this, do NOT connect the radio to the vehicles onboard computer system. That's the problem with some of these vehicles today - their systems are too integrated with each other. Why does my stereo need to know what gear my transmission is in? Why does my ECM need to know if my headlights are on? (I know that's not exactly how everything works, but still) the ECM and TCM should have communication with each other, since they are two systems that work closely with each other. Outside of that, all of this other communication that goes on within a vehicle is ridiculous.

#49 ·
I cannot speak for my van prior to about 155k, as we did not own the van then. My van may have had the radiator replaced before, I don't know. You also have to take into account that you and I live in two different climates. As you stated previously, the Canadian winters are pretty harsh, where the winters here, not so much. Also, during the winter, many places use a highly corrosive material for road salt. That will accelerate corrosion and failures in areas that crap is able to reach (ie; your rocker panels, radiator, exhaust systems, some areas of the engine bay, ect), if not cleaned off frequently. (By no means am I trying to imply that you do not keep your vehicle clean, so please don't get me wrong on that point). Did you buy your van new, or was it second hand like mine? That's something else to take into consideration as well (if it was second hand) - how much care did the previous owner(s) put into the vehicle. I do agree, that auto makers (all of them) do need to build better quality products, but until they do (which will likely never happen), we are stuck with vehicles that will need continuous care and maintenance in order to stay on the road.

#51 ·
Yes, it is a second hand car bought by my dealer from US having just 74,000 miles :) The only history I know is that transmission was fixed twice and then completely replaced under warranty... it was stll under warranty when I got the van but I never had any issue with it. My guy installed new brakes: rotors+pads and also performed some of the repairs within the year of warranty he gave me. I am sure he would not give a bad car with one year warranty... he is one of the most honest men I ever met! Another thing were the sparking plugs, front seemed OK but the rear ones had never been changed... but this is indeed maintenance issue :)

Bottom line: I do not consider I did a bad deal considering the price :) but comparing with my old van who had double the mileage (200k miles and 13 years old when bought), I expected that a van 5 years old and 74k miles to do much better! The frequency of repairs is similar!

#52 ·
I could be wrong, but doesn't the owners manual call for 100k miles on spark plugs for the V-6 variety? Based on that, all 6 plugs were probably factory, but sounds like someone got lazy when they did do the tuneup, and decided "I can't get back there, so I'll leave them (since it hadn't been 100k)"

#53 ·
Actually the manufacturer of the sparking plugs is telling how often to change them... the owner manual is just recommending some type/brands... Whatever I have seen here the posted mileage is 100K kilometers not miles... the truth is I never felt anything wrong but I thought that after 119,000 Km is a good idea to change them... I don't think it is about being lazy, it's about not being an easy task :) I once tried to replace the cables for the rear sparking plugs of my old van and trust me it was impossible to do that in a parking lot... my hands just could not bend enough to reach back there :eekkkk: After several trials I entered that same CTire where I just bought them 5 min. earlier to ask for help and the "nice" customer representative said: we just replace all cables for $90! I told him that he may wait 90 years for that money! :angrya: I called my mechanic to save me :)

#55 ·
I do find it funny though, my boss (whenever I even mention changing the plugs in my van) always asks "Is it miss firing?" I tell him no. His response - "If it isn't missing, don't bother the plugs" … I don't get him some times. Lol. He has the attitude of "Wait until it breaks, then fix it" … where my view is "keep it maintained, and it won't break".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.