The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2001 Town 'N Country , timing belt or chain

26K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  13ducati13 
#1 ·
I called my local dealer for the 60K service. Cost $510 basically to change fluids in the van. He told me that it probably has a timing chain and not belt. Can anyone confirm this?

#3 ·
Thanks so much...that means I have a chain ...woohoo.

The check engine light came on in the van about 2 months ago. I changed the spark plugs and the light went out and just came back on last night.

The dealership claims they need to reset the light in order for it to stay out, I usually just pull the battery. Is that the same thing?

Also do other places like Pep Boys, etc have the technology to check the code for the check engine light or do I have to go to the dealership? They want $80 for a diagnostic fee and even if I fix whatever is wrong they won't remove the diagnostic fee.

#4 ·
That dealer is full of something.

Whatever problem caused the light to come on has to be fixed, then the light will go out on it's own over time/starts/trips, or you can reset it and if the problem is truly corrected and doesn't reoccur, then it will stay out.

What was the code that was set than made you change the plugs?

#5 ·
I didn't have a code. I just read on this forum around 60K-70K miles the light comes on and usually means oxygen sensor or sometimes plugs...so I just replaced the spark plugs. Checked the air filter it looked clean...blew it out with the compressor and put it back in. Also cleaned the carbs out.

I usually do all the maintance work on the vehicles myself. I'm going to change the transmission fluid this weekend.

#6 ·
I didn't have a code. I just read on this forum around 60K-70K miles the light comes on and usually means oxygen sensor or sometimes plugs...so I just replaced the spark plugs. Checked the air filter it looked clean...blew it out with the compressor and put it back in. Also cleaned the carbs out.
Good Morning again.
I don't know if I understood you correctly but I think you said that your Check Engine light came on at 60-70K and that you read that minivan's Check Engine lights do that all the time, to let you know you need to do maintenance?
That is not true. YEARS AGO, they did that but not in the past 20 years. If you got a light, that meant something was wrong, not that you should just do maintenance.

I also do not recommend "blowing out" a dirty air filter with compressed air. You may blow small holes in the air cleaner with that high pressure and it can allow dirt to enter later. If the filter is dirty, REPLACE IT.

You cleaned the "carbs out"? Do you mean you cleaned the throttle body throat?

I just want to get my mind straight on this.
Thanks.

#7 ·
Good morning

I was just reading through this forum and saw that most people when they took their van in when the check engine light came on it was either the oxygen sensor was bad or a bad spark plug/wire. So I replaced the spark plugs. The light then did go out for 2 months. So something else now may be wrong.

The air filter was clean and I just went over it with the compressor. I looked brand new. I bought the car off of my parents at around 58K so they may have replaced it.

Yeah I cleaned the throttle body.

I called the oil change place down the street and they said they can check the light for me and let me know what's wrong. Not sure if they will charge me or not. I'm going to let them change the oil/filter. Again I usually do this all myself...not the most trusting guy out there when it comes to dealerships, etc. Cars are not my #1 thing to fix, I work on motorcycles but I get by.

#9 ·
The check engine light will only come on when the ecm detects a sensor reading that is abnormal. It could be something as simple as a loose gas cap. OBD II scaners have come way down in price. My autoXray scanner was about $500. several years ago. Actron makes a nice one for about $150.00. This is a nice tool for a DIY person.
If you do not want to invest the money in purchasing a scan tool, Advance auto parts will scan and turn the light out for free. )You need the scan tool to turn out the light.) They will even give you a print out of the codes.
I utilized this free service once when I was on day two of a three day business trip, and the light came on.

#10 ·
Ok I ran the on-off-on-off sequence and I code some codes that came up:

P1684
P0135

Any links on how to find out what the code means?

Thanks for the info about Advance Auto Parts. If I can't find out online what the codes mean I'll swing by after work to check it out.

#11 ·
1684 means memory in the PCM has been cleared within the last 50 key on/off cycles, not a problem. 135 is the heater in the upstream O2 sensor. If yours is a 2001, probably would be ahead to change them both out. I did both sensors on my 2000 at 93K.

#14 · (Edited)
The upstream sensor is located in the top of the exhaust manifold just behind the engine on the 3.3 and 3.8 ltr engines. Best to put it on jack stands and get at it from below unless you want to do some disassembly. You'll need a purpose made socket with a slot in it to get by the wire harness. Let the engine run 2-3 minutes to warm up the exhaust. It will come out easier.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1a/3f/7b/0900823d801a3f7b/repairInfoPages.htm

Autozone will connect a scanner and read your codes for free.

#15 ·
Replaced the upstream oxygen sensor. Wish I would have seen superjett's post on the 2001-2002 part mixup first. Got the old sensor out and have to return the 2001 sensor for the 2002 sensor. Going in was a piece of cake, getting the old one out was pretty much a nightmare. Just frustrating and have a lot of scraped knuckles but it's done now and more importantly the light is out so that makes my wife happy. :beerchug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.