2005 Dodge Caravan Blower Problem

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Dodge Caravan Blower Problem

Thanks

2005 Dodge Caravan Blower Problem

I am having a front blower problem with my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. The front blowers are not adjusting. I have very little heat. The back blowers are working fine.

I have checked the fuse and the relay and both are in working order.

Any help would be appreciated!! It is cold!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Belvidere IL (No it's not a ChiTown Burb)
    Thanks

No heat, or no airflow? If it's the latter I'd suspect the blower resistor.
    2001 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3 100K plus...

As of 5-25-09 I am no longer employed at Chrysler.

Thanks

Resistor

open your glove box, squeeze in both sides and let it drop down. Directly behind there, is the blower resister, its approx. 3" x 1.5" with a 5/16 screw on each end and two wiring connectors. (one big one small)

Remove that, there is a piece of wire that runs from one end to the other on the back side that has a small bullet shape thermal fuse built into it (prob. red on one end). You can test for continuity with a multimeter on each side of the bullet shaped fuse. It is a thermal fuse that goes bad often. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you get one from Radio Shack and replace it for $1.49 (240/10a/144 deg) take the resistor and these numbers and they should be able to help you. Let me know if you need the specific R. Shack part #, I may have it at home.

Just clip the stiff wire ( don't cut at the base, I cut where the wire is bent at 90 deg. on each end to leave some to work with) and remove the old thermal fuse. Slip the new one in and solder it to the old wire and clip the excess. Tin your wires first with a bist of solder and work quickly so you don't overheat the new fuse. Too much heat could ruin it to.
    Reassemble.

Hope this helps. (of course you could just buy a new resistor for $20-$30)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jteam For This Useful Post:

jglen490 (10-16-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jteam View Post
    open your glove box, squeeze in both sides and let it drop down. Directly behind there, is the blower resister, its approx. 3" x 1.5" with a 5/16 screw on each end and two wiring connectors. (one big one small)

Remove that, there is a piece of wire that runs from one end to the other on the back side that has a small bullet shape thermal fuse built into it (prob. red on one end). You can test for continuity with a multimeter on each side of the bullet shaped fuse. It is a thermal fuse that goes bad often. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you get one from Radio Shack and replace it for $1.49 (240/10a/144 deg) take the resistor and these numbers and they should be able to help you. Let me know if you need the specific R. Shack part #, I may have it at home.

Just clip the stiff wire ( don't cut at the base, I cut where the wire is bent at 90 deg. on each end to leave some to work with) and remove the old thermal fuse. Slip the new one in and solder it to the old wire and clip the excess. Tin your wires first with a bist of solder and work quickly so you don't overheat the new fuse. Too much heat could ruin it to.
    Reassemble.

Hope this helps. (of course you could just buy a new resistor for $20-$30)
    Thank you so much for the instruction. I had the same problem and had no idea what the problem was. I know nothing about cars. I googled the problem and came across this thread. I checked for continuity and had nothing. I called all the auto parts stores around and none of them carried the blower resister, they said it was a dealer only part. I stopped by a dealer and picked up the part for $25 (including tax). Got home and it took me about 2 minutes to get it replaced and working again. You probably saved me a bunch of money by not taking it to the dealer to get fixed.

Thank you so much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Thank you so much for the instruction. I had the same problem and had no idea what the problem was. I know nothing about cars. I googled the problem and came across this thread. I checked for continuity and had nothing. I called all the auto parts stores around and none of them carried the blower resister, they said it was a dealer only part. I stopped by a dealer and picked up the part for $25 (including tax). Got home and it took me about 2 minutes to get it replaced and working again. You probably saved me a bunch of money by not taking it to the dealer to get fixed.

Thank you so much.
    Glad you found the forum and a fix to your problem.
    2011 Chrysler T&C Limited 3.6L V6
    2004 Honda CRV LX 2.4L I4
    2000 Honda Civic VP 1.6L I4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nrdhrd View Post
    I am having a front blower problem with my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. The front blowers are not adjusting. I have very little heat. The back blowers are working fine.

I have checked the fuse and the relay and both are in working order.

Any help would be appreciated!! It is cold!!
    The issue w/your van is that the BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR has gone. The part is located behind your glove compartment. The unit costs about $22, easy repair!

Thanks

Thanks to all

I have a 2004 Caravan and the blower stopped working. After a couple of hours searching I found this website and read this thread. That was after 2 hours of pulling apart the dash testing the fan switch and blower motor, fuses and relays. I read this post and after pulling out the resistor block, sure enough found the fuse was shot as described. No Radio Shack in Canada. Digikey has the part, Part # 317-1135-ND for $1.19 Canadian. Didn't want to pay for shipping and have to wait a day in the 90 degree heat. Looked around in my junk and found a thermal fuse connected in an old coffee pot heater. It is a 169 degree C. Little hotter than speck, but now I have A/C back. Before winter and the heater season I will have the correct part and install it.

Thanks to all on this site.

Thanks

Bad resistors are normally caused by blower motors with a lot of mileage on them.Electrical motors build resistance as they get old and that extra draw can pop a resistor.Just replacing a resistor may not solve the problem over the long haul.If the resistor goes again,you need a blower motor....and another resistor.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 2002CaravanSE For This Useful Post:

lexmom52 (11-30-2011)

Thanks

As above you'll need a blower motor soon...
    2003 GRAND CARAVAN SPORT
    1997 RAM 1500 SPORT 4x4
    2003 ALERO

Thanks

Well that may be true. But it wasn't the resistor that blew. It was the temperature fuse. I discussed with an electronic tech, and could be that one or all of the resistors did overheat and caused the fuse to fail, or I ran the heat too long on reciruculation, or there was additional load on the blower fan that caused an increase in current draw, then heat, to cause the fuse to blow. The additional load could be caused by a weak blower motor (as stated), or it could be stuff caught in the fan, or it could be the filter is plugged.

+ Reply to Thread