Code P1698 and Faulty Instrument Panel

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Code P1698 and Faulty Instrument Panel

Thanks

Angry Code P1698 and Faulty Instrument Panel

The check engine light is on and the code read P1698. My instrument panel also works intermittently. This is a 1998 Dodge Caravan 3.3, 182000 miles. I DO NOT want to put much more money into this but must get it inspected. Please tell me there is something besides replacing the PCM, which I know is expensive and I have no idea where it is anyway!! HELP

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

There's a couple of things:

1) Check the battery (not just the voltage, have it load tested if there is even a shred of doubt). Low battery is an EXTREMELY common cause for host of "behavioral" problems in these vans.

2) Pull the IOD fuse for 20-30 seconds, then reinsert. I've heard this can sometimes fix the issue. Also heard it points to potential battery problems, but not certain.

3) The infamous bad solder joints on the instrument panel. Typically, the symptoms are the vehicle periodically refuses to start, but striking the instrument panel with your hand can get it to go (for awhile anyway). If striking the instrument panel has any noticeable effects on the behavior, I would tend to guess that's your problem. Search this site as there is a tutorial with pictures and everything IIRC.
    2003 Honda Odyssey EXL (3.5L)
    1997 Town & Country LXi (3.8L)
    1992 Honda Accord LX (2.2L)
    1990 Chevy K2500 (5.7L TBI)

Thanks

...and check the connections at the PCM and TCM. Your PCM is not receiving bus messages from the Transmission Control Module (TCM). Punch in P1698 here: http://www.iequus.com/support/obd2_definitions.php PCM is bolted to the driver side fender wall outboard of the battery. TCM is on the passenger side fender wall.
    Last edited by RIP; 11-26-2007 at 01:22 PM.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 208K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

The assinine 15 minute rule got me again. Here's a couple of links to help you:
    http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm Click on the pics to blow them up. The PCM is #11 on the right side on fig 2. The TCM is not identified but, it is the silver box on the left side on the fender wall just forward of the power steering fluid reservoir on fig 3. MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE CHECKING EITHER BOX.
    Last edited by RIP; 11-26-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 208K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

Thanks Chad...I will try these ideas. Dont want to spend 600 bucks for a pcm as midas quoted me!!

Thanks

Thanks RIP...I printed out those diagrams and hoping to fix it. Appreciate your response.

Thanks

Hi badvan,
    I have same type of problem as you on my 1999 caravan.
    Cluster + rear wiper failure - intermitant. Check engine indicates code P1698.
    How did you fix the problem ?
    Thanks.

Thanks

Replace the cluster. Replacements run from $40-80. It's a pretty simple swap.

I had the same codes and the same symptoms. Replacing the cluster fixed the problem.
    '99 Voyager SWB 3.0 4-speed -- 138K

Thanks

Hi, I'm new here, but I seem to be having this problem as well. ('98 Plymouth Gr. Voyager w/3.3L) Did your ABS light come on every time your instrument cluster failed to work?

Thanks

I think I am having the same problem so rather than starting a new topic, I will just add to this one.

Today on the way home, I noticed that my gear indicator and odometer started flickering. I thought it was just my eyes so I didn't think much of it. Then getting on the highway, I gave it some gas to merge. While cruising, I noticed that my battery light came on, then the ABS light up on top of the dash. Then the odometer and gear indicator started blinking. At the same time, all the needles on the gauges would be jumping ever so slightly. It seemed like there was a lose connector that plugs into the cluster.

Ones I got off the highway, I put the car in park and shut it off. I then right away went to start it back up and nothing. I turn the key to start and nothing happened. No lights came on, it's like I wasn't turning the key at all.

I then turned the key back to off and on again and it started that time. I haven't had any problems after that driving the rest of the way home.

Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? My biggest concern is getting stuck on the road. Would this cause my car to die on the side of the road? I thought maybe my VSS is dying?

+ Reply to Thread