loud rattling sound when accelerate

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: loud rattling sound when accelerate

Thanks

loud rattling sound when accelerate

I have a 2000 Chrysler T&C AWD that makes a rattling sound when I accelerate. At idle the engine is quiet but once I step on the gas, it starts rattling. It sounds like some of the rod knock videos I've seen on youtube but unlike those on the videos, mine only gets noisy when I step on the gas. I've also noticed that after topping up the coolent, it's quieted down just a bit but noticed that it's dripping coolent under the car. BUT before all this happened, I took my van in to the dealership because there was a noticable ticking coming from the engine. They took the engine apart and was told that it was just noisy lifters and that it would cost $1500. to replace. I called another dealership and was told that getting an oil changed might reduce the noise. So I had that done but that didn't help...so after about a month, coming off the freeway, that's when the rattling started and since then I haven't driven the van in fear of seizing up the engine. It's been about 3 weeks now. Any idea what could be going on or please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    MBL96826

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Bad water pump?

Can you track down the source of the noise in the engine compartment, and/or track down the source of the leaking coolant?

- G
    1998 Grand Voyager @282,000mi, 3.3L FFV V6

Thanks

I"ll bet it's just the exhaust donut. NOthing else ever really goes wrong with those units

Thanks

Your not going to like this, but I have the same van (is yours an lxi?) and I had the same thing happen. I First I thought it was the AC compressor, then I thought it was the torque converter as the sound seemed to be comming from the bell housing of the transmission. Removing the sheetmetal inspection plate confirmed the sound was comming from the bell housing. I called my local dealer and they said my torque plate (flywheel) was cracked, they were sure of it. I asked them how they could be so sure, as I did not want to pull the transmission (remember it is an AWD) for nothing. The service manager said "well, we just did three 2000s last week, just pull the transmission and you will see your problem". He was right. The flywheel was cracked big time. The center where it bolts to the crankshaft was cracked all the way arround, leaving an octagonal piece on the crankshaft, with the rest loosly wrapped arround that like a doughnut. There were spider cracks all over the outer part of the flywheel, too. The part was roughly $125.00. I was talking with a tech professor at Vermont Technical College about this and he showed me a shelf full of cracked chrysler minivan flywheels that looked just like mine
    But wait, it gets worse. I bought this thing new, and soon after we got it it started to make a whistling noise under acceleration. The dealer said yup, we here it, but have no idea what it is. With the transmission out, I saw a long crack on the cross over pipe, with a black carbon mark on the transmission. Great! I thought, this must be the noise! It was, but the cross over pipe turned out to be a $550 dealer item.
    I hope you do not have the same problem I had, but it is worth a look to at least hopefully rule it out

Thanks

Is this cracked flywheel a problem on just the AWD vans? I've never heard of it before- but if that professor has a shelf-full of bad units from the CHRYVans then perhaps its a bit more severe than I thought. I'm assuming that getting regular transmission inspections/fluid changes would be the best way to counteract such problems from causing the transmissions to auto-destruct.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysler1924 View Post
    Is this cracked flywheel a problem on just the AWD vans? I've never heard of it before- but if that professor has a shelf-full of bad units from the CHRYVans then perhaps its a bit more severe than I thought. I'm assuming that getting regular transmission inspections/fluid changes would be the best way to counteract such problems from causing the transmissions to auto-destruct.
    The flywheel / flexplate is a motor to trans connector. It will not harm transmission when it disconnects, just your waiting time for tow truck. It makes lotsa noise before it disconnects.

Thanks

Anything as massive as a flywheel - dealing with hundreds of foot-pounds of torque - sure as heck can do damage to your transmission, when it "disconnects". Hopefully, it might not tear-up the internals, but can surely punch a hole in the bell housing.

It all depends how it fails...

-Jim

Thanks

These became a problem when they were lightened by chrysler to reduce vibration and make the driveline smoother. I say flywheel, it is actually a torque plate, just a stamped steel disk with a ring gear welded on to it. For whatever reason ??? 2000 seemed to be a bad year. I do not know if it is an all wheel drive thing or not. It is a problem. A number of people (me included) have asked NHTSA to ask Chrysler to issue a recall to correct this problem. The thing that really annoys me is Chrysler KNOWS this is a problem, yet the new torque plate looks the same as the old one did, no stronger.
    I have a theory that it may be an assembly issue, specifically not being torqued correctly to the crankshaft at the factory. It seems to be more of a problem with the vans made in St Louis, I have not heard of any from Windsor having this problem, but I have only spoken with a few owners, this is just my $.02c worth.
    I would recomend removing the tin plate on the flywheel to check this if a noise is noticed. If there is a noise eminating from this area, and you can rock the torque plate/torque converter back and forth AT ALL, your torque plate IS cracked, and will go blewey. I would suspect if it totally lets go, you will need a new transmission, and torque converter at the least, as I do not think the bell housing would be able to contain this much revolving mass letting go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JCamasto View Post
    Anything as massive as a flywheel - dealing with hundreds of foot-pounds of torque - sure as heck can do damage to your transmission, when it "disconnects". Hopefully, it might not tear-up the internals, but can surely punch a hole in the bell housing.

It all depends how it fails...

-Jim
    The torque converter is supported by the shaft with splines coming out of the trans. So the connection to the fly / flex has no support factor.

Thanks

Sorry, there's some confusion going on here - someone wall calling the trans drive plate or "flex plate" a flywheel...

If what's meant is the flex plate, then, sure, let it self-destruct! (not).

-Jim

+ Reply to Thread