Power Steering Noise Fix - Changed the Reservoir

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Noise Fix - Changed the Reservoir

Thanks

Let me know. I was in MN and it whine alittle when first started.

I purchased my van at Hayes in Lawrenceville. Good service so far.

Allen
    2005 T&C Touring. 3.8L Midnight Blue. 139K

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bowen View Post
    Well I can now add some information as I just left the dealer and had it changed. With the cold noise he quickly says it had to be changed. I will add more details soon.
    OK. It cost me about $117 at the dealer: New Reservoir $ 27, + 2 Qts ATF+4 $18, + Labor $72
    He says the problem is very common above 50K miles or 75K for sure.
    The reservoir has 2 lines: the large rear one goes to the pump suction. The other smaller one is the return. He took the return line off, cranked the engine, and turned the wheel so that fluid ran into a bucket vs. back into the reservoir. When it starts to "puke" (his word) meaning the system is out of fluid, he put just maybe a cup or so of new fluid into the reservoir to let it pump this out as well. (To be sure all the old is out) Then quickly shutting the engine off. (two person job) Now the steering system is empty. Next, he replace the reservoir and refilled the fluid, after re-attaching the return line.
    All work is up top on the engine and quiet easy to get to. It took them about 35 minutes to do.
    The Result? I cannot be SURE until in the morning, but I FOR SURE can already tell a difference, the power steering is really quiet. The tech said the old oil was really dirty looking. Kinda looks like this thing needs a filter added so that it can be changed, but the whole plastic reservoir is not real expensive.
    The job is a little messy as the "puking" splattered some fluid on the exhaust which had the burn itself off, so if you try it yourself I suggest a rag maybe over the return line down into the bucket.
    I could have done this myself now that I see how he did it, but it's DANG cold down here today and I wanted it done.
    The hose you see on the right in the picture is the one that returns fluid to the reservoir.

There is some discussion that they might someday do a recall on this; I am saving my ticket.
    2005 T&C Limited-105K, 99 Volvo S70-220K, 01 Accord EX-153K, 94 Volvo 940-316K, 99 Avalon 156K

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bowen For This Useful Post:

carlosandcamy (01-02-2011)

Thanks

Thanks for the write-up. So did the technician know what you were on to when you asked for the reservoir to be replaced? Has he seen this problem before...and seen the reservoir fix the noise? That would seem to confirm our suspicions -- that the reservoir (screen) has a big part to play in this noise issue.

Glad to hear you're running quiet again.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

I have found just draining the PS fluid out of the reservoir and refilling it with atf+4 fixed my whine which was getting pretty loud . If it comes back i'll change it again because you only get out less than 12 ounces just draining the reservoir but in my case that was enough to fix the whine . The fluid that came out was really dark . I would try just changing the fluid first if you don't want to stand outside in freezing weather for an hour , the fluid change is about 15-20 minutes tops ... this also indicates to me that it is not necessarily a clogged filter causing the noise . Think mine was also a little low as it was a little below the 2 fill marks before changing . I left it just a touch above the top fill mark after the change. If it stays quiet I may change it again in the spring when the high temp is higher than 15 degrees out ..
    Last edited by vipergg; 01-02-2008 at 07:41 PM.
    2014 Dodge Grand Caravan AVP
    Deep Cherry Red
    5000 miles
    2008 Isuzu Ascender
    Midnight Blue Metallic
    72000 miles

Thanks

Power Steering Noise

Mine was making the same noise so I replaced the reservoir ($19.00 at dealer) and the noise is gone. I will flush the system soon, after reading other posts that tell how. One point to make, before removing the reservoir put some shop rags down and plug the holes in the old reservoir with paper to avoid getting ATF+4 all over the engine. It make a real mess and some smoke.
    Joey

2003 T&C Lx 3.3 87,000 miles
    2007 Gmc Yukon Xl Denali

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DENALIJOE View Post
    Mine was making the same noise so I replaced the reservoir ($19.00 at dealer) and the noise is gone. I will flush the system soon, after reading other posts that tell how. One point to make, before removing the reservoir put some shop rags down and plug the holes in the old reservoir with paper to avoid getting ATF+4 all over the engine. It make a real mess and some smoke.
    HA! Yeah even the dealer I took mine to let some fluid get on some pipes. Shipo mentioned how BAD the ATF+4 smells in the can. I promise you it smells 2X worse burning off. Mine still smells after two days, and only a small amount spilled. I don't know if it ran out when he took the old reservoir off, or when he cranked the van and pumped all the fluid out.
    Whatever the case this FIXED my cold morning groaning, moaning, weeering whinning!
    2005 T&C Limited-105K, 99 Volvo S70-220K, 01 Accord EX-153K, 94 Volvo 940-316K, 99 Avalon 156K

Thanks

One vote for making this thread a sticky. Just about everyone who has one of these vans for a decent period of time is going run into this problem.
    2014 Chrysler Town & Country 30th Anniversary Edition
    2007 Acura MDX
    1996 Mustang Cobra
    1995 Lincoln Mark VIII

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOnBlackCobra96 View Post
    One vote for making this thread a sticky. Just about everyone who has one of these vans for a decent period of time is going run into this problem.
    Unfortunately I caught this thread a little late and I'm being tagged for 550$ from the stealer ship who has JUST called me and said the whining "noise" hasn't gone after changing my power steering pump. They want to change the reservoir now after the fact and I told them I felt as if they're experimenting with my van

They've changed the pump already, is there anything I can get them to do to not charge me for the pump change and just the reservoir change...I know this is a little late but any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thx,
    PO'd at stealership

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
    Unfortunately I caught this thread a little late and I'm being tagged for 550$ from the stealer ship who has JUST called me and said the whining "noise" hasn't gone after changing my power steering pump. They want to change the reservoir now after the fact and I told them I felt as if they're experimenting with my van

They've changed the pump already, is there anything I can get them to do to not charge me for the pump change and just the reservoir change...I know this is a little late but any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thx,
    PO'd at stealership
    There's no real formal procedure. Just complain, tell them to reinstall the old pump, and give you a refund. The dealer should have known that the reservoir was the real problem. Worst case scenario is to call Chrysler customer support. I did that for a power steering problem on my '05 that happened while within warranty but didn't manifest itself until it was out of warranty. Chrysler agreed to split the bill, which is one reason why my next vehicle will likely be a Chrysler.
    2014 Chrysler Town & Country 30th Anniversary Edition
    2007 Acura MDX
    1996 Mustang Cobra
    1995 Lincoln Mark VIII

Thanks

Wink help with your question

Quote Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post

Thx,
    PO'd at stealership
    Hey there. We have had a good result in the past with contacting Chrysler/Dodge Corporate office. My husband explained everything, got a little mad on the phone with them, said he is a good customer and feels ripped off, etc... I took my van to the local dealership for this same noise and they replaced my water pump and charged us for it! I don't want to take the van back because of the labor rate, which is way more than the part. Good luck. We will be replacing the reservoir entirely and not just the filter this weekend.

+ Reply to Thread