2005 Town & Country Air Bag Light

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Town & Country Air Bag Light

Thanks

Question 2005 Town & Country Air Bag Light

My Air Bag Light (ABL) comes on intermittently when I make a right turn and goes off when I complete the turn. I contacted my local dealer and he knew immediately "without looking it up" what the problem was and what the cost would be. I was told that I have a "clock spring" problem that costs about $400 to fix. The dealer said the car is OK to drive but the air bag will not deploy if I have an accident. My 36 month warantee is expired but I have only 30,437 miles. I have done nothing to break this part and it is obviously a serious safety issue.

I have seen the recall for Chrysler/Dodge minivans from 1996-2000 for the same thing and they say that it affects the electrical connections on the steering wheel. Primarily this would include the horn, cruise control and the airbag. For these older models, dealers will replace the clock spring for free on vehicles with less than 70,000 miles. The company will extend the warranty on the clock spring for vehicles with more than 70,000 miles.

Is this a common problem on the newer 2001-present minivans? Am I the only one? Any possibility that Chrysler will issue another recall for these newer minivans?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Yes, I seen posts on this problem for the year of your van. My airbag light comes on intermittently also. Seems it can go for months without a warning light. There was a post on reparing the clock spring, but it seems it may be difficult if you're not mechanicaly inclined. You have to take the steering wheel off and remove the airbag pouch. I think the clock spring part is under $100. I'm not aware of any recall for the 4th gen. vans. I think I may need to repair mine soon.
    2001 Town and Country LXI (125,000mi.)
    Replaced: brakes,rotors,calipers,serpentine belt,spark plugs,wires,alternator,battery,tie rods,struts,sway bar links,sway bar bushings (5 times),passenger door window motor,ATC module, transmission service, transmission solenoid pack, key cylinder, power steering fluid reservoir, PCM module, oil pan/valve cover gaskets, #2 fuel injector, Fuel filler tube and countless oil changes. DIY'er

Thanks

You must enjoy being ripped off

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION G09
    SUPPLEMENTAL FRONT AIRBAG SENSORS
    Dear: (Name)
    Customer satisfaction is very important to DaimlerChrysler. Accordingly, we are recommending
    that you bring your 2005 model year minivan (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) to your dealer to receive
    the following free service.

The problem is...
    DaimlerChrysler has determined that the supplemental front airbag

sensors on your vehicle may crack under certain conditions and allow
    water to enter into the sensor. These sensors were added to enhance the
    performance of your airbag system; however, a cracked sensor may not
    operate properly in a frontal crash. A cracked sensor can also illuminate
    the airbag warning light.
    What your dealer
    will do...
    DaimlerChrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor).
    To do this, your dealer will replace both of the supplemental front airbag
    sensors. The work will take about one hour to complete. However, additional
    time may be necessary depending on service schedules.
    What you must
    do...
    Simply

contact your dealer right away to schedule a service appointment.
    Ask the dealer to hold the parts for your vehicle or to order them before your
    appointment. Remember to bring this letter with you to your dealer.
    If you need help...

If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve,
    please contact DaimlerChrysler at 1-800-853-1403.
    Please help us update our records, by filling out the attached prepaid postcard, if any of the
    conditions listed on the card apply to you or your vehicle.
    If you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may send your
    original receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement:
    DaimlerChrysler P.O. Box 4639, Oak Ridge, TN 37831, Attention: Reimbursement.
    We're sorry for any inconvenience, but we believe that this service will help to ensure your
    continuing satisfaction with your vehicle. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
    Customer Services Field Operations
    DaimlerChrysler Corporation
    Notification Code G09

Thanks

Mine had the clock spring replaced at 4500 mi or so and it is a 2006.
    I would say that Chrysler should look into recalling the 4th gens too for it.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    2013 Chrysler Town and Country L
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

Thanks

It is a common problem in the 4th generation. I replaced it myself in my 2001. The part costs maybe $50 and you need pullers to take the steering wheel off. Getting the airbag off is no problem at all as there are two screws on the back of the steering wheel. Just make sure you disconnect the battery and wait 15-30 min before beginning work.

Thanks

The front airbag sensors are faulty on some '05's. The driverís side sensor failed under warranty. The passengerís side failed afterwards. Several people, including me, filed complaints on the NHTSA website and Chrysler subsequently extended the warranty and offered repair reimbursements. Corrosion caused the sensors on mine to fail, which may not be an issue where you live. Also, when mine failed, the light stayed on continuously, which is different from your issue. I cannot say if your issue is the same, but it is something to discern.
    2005 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L (100K miles and running strong)
    2001 Chrysler Voyager 3.3L Flex Fuel (220K miles and running strong)

Thanks

clockspring

I recently had to replace the clockspring on my 2001 Caravan. $50 for the part, 6 bucks for a steering wheel puller. It's a fairly easy job but precautions have to be taken with the air bag.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Feltzer View Post
    CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION G09
    SUPPLEMENTAL FRONT AIRBAG SENSORS
    Dear: (Name)
    Customer satisfaction is very important to DaimlerChrysler. Accordingly, we are recommending
    that you bring your 2005 model year minivan (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) to your dealer to receive
    the following free service.
    Is this a for real recall? I just bought a used 2005 with 82K miles. The 2nd day I had it the airgag warning light came on and will not go off. The manual says to call the dealer.
    After reading this thread I don't know if it's the clockspring deal or a faulty sensor, and more important, am I gonna have to pay?
    2005 T&C Limited-105K, 99 Volvo S70-220K, 01 Accord EX-153K, 94 Volvo 940-316K, 99 Avalon 156K

Thanks

It is the clock spring, and it is a common problem. I would call several dealers and play dumb, like you thoought it was covered by the warrenty. Several manufactures cover restraint systems for the life of the vehicle, not chrysler. When you get nowhere with any of the dealers, file a complaint with NHTSA and then call the chrysler customer care phone number in your manual. I would really (politely) light into them about known safety defects and their responsability to protect their customers lives with their products. You will probably have to repair this at your expense which I feel is unfair to you, but hey, it is worth a try. It is for this reason that I feel you should make a lot of noise about it. If you want to fix it yourself the only thing you need to be careful of is the airbag. I have done this repair successfully, and others involving the deactivation and removal of the airbag. It can kill you if it goes off unexpectidly in your face. As with most things, if you use common sense and take your time, you will be fine. If you do fix it yourself and are unsure of the success of your repair the van will tell you via the airbag light if there is any malfunction in the system.
    Good luck, and keep us posted.

Thanks

Of course it is a real recall, go to Chrysler's web site, go to where it says "for owners". Type in your numbers.......

+ Reply to Thread