The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Tuned up today, now have high idle

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  emb2580 
#1 ·
Today we had someone give the T&C a tune up... new plugs & wires, oil change, brakes all around. the guy that did it had to remove the intake to get to the rear bank plugs. Once he got it all back together I noticed it was idling much higher than before. I told him this is not right but he insists that the TB is just gunked up and sticking and that it's not used to having new plugs in it., but I know something is not right. it's at 2000 in park, and i'm trying to think what is the problem I did find a tiny hose at the back of the intake that he forgot to hook up, it brought the idle down a little but still higher than it should be. all I can say is thank god he did the brakes too, because it will reach 20mph w/out any pressure on the gas. what else should I check? And yes, either I would have done it myself or take to a shop because if it were my van, I wouldn't let any old fool work on it.

#3 · (Edited)
Sounds like air is getting in after the throttle plate/idle orifice-

Look for any air intake leaks...loose hoses/lines, missing cap around the throttle body and downstream of the throttle. Also check the other end of these hoses/lines and the hoses/lines themselves. Check the hose clamps at the throttle body. After that, maybe the intake manifod gasket? Maybe it wasn't replaced or installed?

Also check the throttle linkage at the TB. Does it appear that it is closing all the way or is it hanging up mechanically or commanded open electrically (Vtech's post)? Removing the intake at the TB will give a good veiw of the throttle plate and idle orifice.

I hope the guy that says the van isn't used to having new plugs isn't the same one that did the brakes!

#4 ·
#5 ·
Idle speed

Yes sir, it was a small (size of a coffee stirrer) vacuum line that he forgot to hook back up, but just out of curiosity what should this van be idling at normally in park? in gear?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.