The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2000 T&C - remove sliding door interior panel

13K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  JMO44 
#1 ·
I saw instructions to remove other year/model panels, but need to know exactly how to remove and replace the interior driver-side door panel of my 2000 T&C. I need to replace the exterior chrome door handle. Also, any suggestios where I can get a replacement handle? Thanks.

#2 ·
Wow. Are you seriously willing to rip apart the door panels just to replace a chrome door handle? Kudos to you if you feel you can tackle that! I've heard horror stories about people carefully removing door panels to replace/service window motor regulators and such and how the interior door panels never go back on correctly ever again.

Perhaps try a Haynes manual, or even better- the factory service manual if you can find one.

I've got a 2000 Limited as well, and I think the handle would have to physically be broken in order to get me to attempt that. And at that, it would have to be the driver's side sliding door. If the passenger side one broke, I probably wouldn't fix it as I generally NEVER use that door.

#3 ·
Wow. Are you seriously willing to rip apart the door panels just to replace a chrome door handle?
....says the guy who wants to rip apart the steering wheel/airbag assembly to tweak a degree or two off-level...

-----

The game is not to RIP APART - but conscientiously remove.

Remember, somebody fastened all this stuff together - no giant surprise that it can actually come apart, as well...

-Jim

#4 ·
Eh, I never said I wanted to rip it apart and tweak it myself. As I said I dont have near the knolwedge to do it. I just want to know why it happened, and if need be- pay a mechanic to do it.

#9 ·
If your van tracks straight, but the wheel is off to one side...it is because when the last front alignment was done they calibrated the wheels with the steering wheel not centered....or something is bent.

Removing the wheel and re-installing it is a bandaid, not the fix to your problem.

#11 ·
OK, found my manual

but it is for 96-99my, so I don't know exactly how different this is from the 2000. In my 06, other than the fact the door is power, the skin looks nearly the same....so I doubt yours will be much different. Easiest done with 2nd row seats removed.

1. close door and remove upper window frame trim. Look for screws and remove them if any. The remainder is clipped in place. My van had either 4 or 5 push-in fasteners/ clips.
2. remove the screws around the lower trim panel (look for access plugs for additional screws)
3. pry out the push in plastic fasteners with a thin scraper blade. (these are the ones that always break or get deformed). There may be as many as 12 push in style fasteners around the lower door panel.

With the panel out of the way you should be able to easily access your lock, latch, and handle.:cool:

Be your own judge, but I always be sure to have an old jar with a handful of these plastic trim clips in my workshop whenever i take a door or interior panel off. If you use new clips, the panel will go back on as good as the day it left the factory.:thumb:

If I recall there are some guide pins to help you align the door panel with the metal door. Even with this, you may have to use your scraper blade to help tweak a few of the plastic clips so they hit their hole.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.