2000 T&C - remove sliding door interior panel

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2000 T&C - remove sliding door interior panel

Thanks

2000 T&C - remove sliding door interior panel

I saw instructions to remove other year/model panels, but need to know exactly how to remove and replace the interior driver-side door panel of my 2000 T&C. I need to replace the exterior chrome door handle. Also, any suggestios where I can get a replacement handle? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Wow. Are you seriously willing to rip apart the door panels just to replace a chrome door handle? Kudos to you if you feel you can tackle that! I've heard horror stories about people carefully removing door panels to replace/service window motor regulators and such and how the interior door panels never go back on correctly ever again.

Perhaps try a Haynes manual, or even better- the factory service manual if you can find one.

I've got a 2000 Limited as well, and I think the handle would have to physically be broken in order to get me to attempt that. And at that, it would have to be the driver's side sliding door. If the passenger side one broke, I probably wouldn't fix it as I generally NEVER use that door.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysler1924 View Post
    Wow. Are you seriously willing to rip apart the door panels just to replace a chrome door handle?
    ....says the guy who wants to rip apart the steering wheel/airbag assembly to tweak a degree or two off-level...

-----

The game is not to RIP APART - but conscientiously remove.

Remember, somebody fastened all this stuff together - no giant surprise that it can actually come apart, as well...

-Jim

Thanks

Eh, I never said I wanted to rip it apart and tweak it myself. As I said I dont have near the knolwedge to do it. I just want to know why it happened, and if need be- pay a mechanic to do it.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JCamasto View Post
    ....says the guy who wants to rip apart the steering wheel/airbag assembly to tweak a degree or two off-level...
    He never did answer the question where he is getting all his money at 21 years old to buy his expensive vans.

Also his new Diehard battery went dead on the 24th, see his post, guess his $4000 alternator is defective again. The reason I ask, if he is working near any military airplanes or bases, Chrysler had an issue in the 90's where some military frequencies were discombobulating the main PCM on a few vehicles, some minivans and only in the western part of the country.

I read that in a magazine, it may have been Popular Science.

Thanks

Perhaps try a Haynes manual, or even better- the factory service manual if you can find one.

...I think the handle would have to physically be broken in order to get me to attempt that. And at that, it would have to be the driver's side sliding door.
    I was hoping someone would have the instructions from a service manual, as I obviously don't have one. Of course, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a good rule of thumb, but t is broken and it is the driver's side sliding door (as stated in my post), and I need it fixed. The local dealer quoted me a price of $130 for the handle (it comes with the housing) and $135 to replace it. I think I can get a replacement part for a lot less online, and with the right information, I can replace it myself.

Thanks

stop in a friendly body shop and pick their brains.

Thanks

Better & cheaper yet: Go to the junk yard - pick the best - and learn on the rest.

-Jim

Thanks

Eh, I never said I wanted to rip it apart and tweak it myself. As I said I dont have near the knolwedge to do it. I just want to know why it happened, and if need be- pay a mechanic to do it.
    If your van tracks straight, but the wheel is off to one side...it is because when the last front alignment was done they calibrated the wheels with the steering wheel not centered....or something is bent.

Removing the wheel and re-installing it is a bandaid, not the fix to your problem.
    Best Regards,
    David
    08 Chrysler T&C Touring
    96 Chrysler T&C

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JMO44 View Post
    I was hoping someone would have the instructions from a service manual, as I obviously don't have one. Of course, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a good rule of thumb, but t is broken and it is the driver's side sliding door (as stated in my post), and I need it fixed. The local dealer quoted me a price of $130 for the handle (it comes with the housing) and $135 to replace it. I think I can get a replacement part for a lot less online, and with the right information, I can replace it myself.

I have a manual for this van. I have also taken the door panel off before too. It isn't very difficult, but you will want to pick up some plastic retaining clips from Napa or the dealer because you will likely brake a couple while removing the panel.

Check autozone.com for body parts. I had a mother in law incident with my 06 T&C, whereby the driver side mirror was physically altered. The dealer wanted $178 for the mirror. Autozone.com got the same mirror $70....for a 2006 no less. I don't know if they carry door handles, but they might.

FWIW, don't listen the the nay sayers. I have had every bit of interior plastic off my 1996 T&C over the last 9 years. Replaced vent window actuator. Factory Stereo. Passenger slider locking mechanism. Driver door handle. I have NEVER had a problem reinstalling parts. My secret is I keep a supply of brand new plastic retaining clips on hand and don't try to re-use the old ones. They cost about $.10 each, so less than a dollar for the whole door.

I will check my manual and post again later with more specifics about how to remove the skin.
    Best Regards,
    David
    08 Chrysler T&C Touring
    96 Chrysler T&C

+ Reply to Thread