The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Town/Country Harmonic Wheel Installation

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  aggiejet 
#1 ·
Well, I have sucessfully replaced the timing chain and sprockets (maybe a little presumptuous, since I haven't started the engine) on my 2000 Town/country 3.8 and finally got the timing chain cover bolted up. Now I need to reinstall the harmonic wheel/crankshaft pulley (whichever you prefer to call it) The factory service manual doesn't give clear guidance on this. The question being as to how far to install or drive the wheel/pulley onto the crankshaft stub. Common sense would say to drive it on till the hub is flush with the end of the stub, but that looks like it would be too far in. I'm trying to eyeball it with the water pump pulley, but that is just a swag. Anybody have any advice on this part of my journey.

Also, what have you guys used to reinstall the wheel/pulley. The installer available at the parts store won't work. None of the studs you screw into the crankshaft stub are the right size. I have used the bolt that holds the wheel on, but now it is really hard to turn and am afraid of overtorqing the bolt (specs call for 40 ft/lbs and I'm about there) and twisting it off. :eekkkk: Any advice there.

#2 ·
FSM (Alldata) shows an installer tool assembled from a long bolt, nut, thrust bearing, and a special plate/washer
that pushes on the pulley hub. Maybe the thickness of that plate is what sets how far the pulley will be driven.
Other than that special piece with unknown dimensions, I guess you can make
your own tool using a high-strength bolt from a hardware store (black socket-heads are grade 12).
I used something similar to install rivet-nuts

#4 · (Edited)
Are you talking about the seal inside of the timing chain cover when you are talking about the lip seal. You are not talking about putting oil on the shaft where the wheel slides on, are you? My Haynes manual talks about this same procedure, but no mention in the Factory Service Manual. It doesn't make sense to me to oil that shaft, as it is just pressed on and it is not keyed.

#5 ·
For those that are interested and following this thread. I succesfully reinstalled the harmonic wheel today by improvising the "special tool" in the factory service manual by using an all thread bolt about an inch longer than the retaining bolt, a nut and the extra thick washer that you use with the retaining bolt. I used a 17mm box end wrench to drive/screw the the nut down the shaft of the bolt after I screwed it into the crankshaft and drove the harmonic wheel in place. You definetly will know when it is in place. It gets dramatically more difficult to turn the nut. Thanks to everyone for their help. I will post a recap of this whole journey later, after I test run everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.