2005 Grand Caravan AC draining water inside cabin

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Grand Caravan AC draining water inside cabin

Thanks

2005 Grand Caravan AC draining water inside cabin

The carpet is wet in the passenger front seat area. I thought it might have been from some of the heavy rains we get in Florida leaking in through a door seal, but now believe it is from the evaporator drain.

I got under the van and found the drain tube and ran a piece of heavy insulated wire up into the drain and nothing came out so I don't think it is necessarily plugged, so apparently it is draining straight into the passenger compartment. The water runs down along the door sill into the wiring trough.

How do I remove the padding that is under the carpet at the firewall. The water is coming from behind this padding and it is attached to the firewall somehow.

When I inspected the the drain tube from under the van I found a green o-ring about 3/32" in diameter and about 5/8" OD that was split and fell off the tube. This o-ring actually looks similar to an AC tube fitting o-ring.

Could this little o-ring actually be the only thing that is keeping the drain water from the evaporator from leaking inside the passenger compartment???

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

That is covered in TSB 23-010-04A SEP 04 A/C - Water Leaks Onto Passenger Front Floor.
    If you want a copy of this TSB, send me an e-mail and I will send it to you.

trdstr2000@sbcglobal.net

Subject: MINIVAN LEAK INTO FRT FLOOR.
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

E-mail is on the way. Keep us posted on how it works for you.

Thanks

I Think I Fixed my Leak

I had the van up on ramps. I got back under it with the air conditioner running and saw what was going on. The water was dripping out the tube that runs through the firewall, but because of the "U" shaped cut at the end of the drain tube the water was actually running up the tube and into the passenger compartment. So I went to the local auto parts store and bought a short 90 degree 5/8" ID heater hose and stuck it on the end of the tube. Eureka, the water does not run into the passenger compartment now.

Pete

Thanks

Check to see if you needed a dab of sealer at the firewall area (around the outside of the tubing) before you put the tube/hose on. It may seep abit right there. Otherwise, sounds like a good fix.

Thanks

This is a common problem. Both of my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravans had wet passenger side carpet. I researched and found out Chrysler has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) regarding this issue (condensate not draining properly - backing up in evaporator or draining back to firewall along the outside of the drain tube through the firewall seal). The fix is a $5 tapered rubber elbow (MOPAR part # 56000724) that attaches to the plastic drain tube. This extension is long enough to cover the slot in the bottom of the plastic drain tube, and also elbows down on the other end to avoid "backflow" (from air flow created when driving). At an idle, the drain appears to function properly, but will not when driving. This cheap and easy fix that applies to the 2001-2007 Dodge Caravans (and Chrysler Town & Country). The drain tube can be accessed from the top by removing the air filter housing and reaching in towards the firewall with the right arm. Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks

I have the same prob.. Thanks,, I'll give it a try ... 2005 grnd crvn

Thanks

Our 2003 T&C van has this exact same problem. My question is this: if Chrysler is aware of what appears to be a multi-model design defect, why don't they issue a recall and pay for the repair on their own dime>??

Thanks

Do the math

If Chrysler made 1 million mini-vans and one quarter of those came in for service regarding this issue you have just made over 1.2 million in sales of parts (250,000 x $5) this does not take into account the diagnosis fee that all dealers will typically charge and the labour to install the $5 part. Money in their pocket because of their screw up. You gotta love it.

Thanks

Thanks, The info helped me with a leak on my wife's van.

+ Reply to Thread