The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Rad coolant drain and vent plug - doesn't drain

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  shipo 
#1 ·
Hi first time poster, and i did a quick search for this problem.

2002 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3litre engine.

I want to flush and fill the rad, but when I open the draincok and the rad cap, nothing drains. In my Haynes manual it says to open a drain vent screw, but there is no such screw on my engine (at least it is not in the location depicted in the Haynes manual (Canadian model?), and not anywhere else obvious to me.)

Why doesn't coolant flow out of the draincok on the bottom left side of the rad?

Is there a trick or secret to this? seems so simple...
Thanks to all responders!

Ian.
Canada

(Notes: I put the heater to hot with engine on, tried running engine after opening rad cap and draincok, rad is full of coolant, overflow empty, I even opened the hose at the thermostat to allow air into the system(engine off) and not a drop out the drain).

See less See more
#2 ·
After reading numerous posts here and elsewhere about how flimsy the draincokc [sic] and after messing around with the one on ours for a few minutes, I simply decided that it wasn't worth the aggravation. Instead, I simply loosened the lower radiator hose enough to allow the coolant to drain out in a nice steady stream (a bit tricky that), and never touched the draincokc [sic] again.

#3 ·
I'm getting that it is simpler to use the lower hose... I see where it is easily accessible at the end not attached to the rad.

I read a good post elsewhere about the draincok having to be turned 90deg then tugged out 1/4", but that an O-ring gets caught under two tabs affixed to the rad. Tug too hard (ie with a tool) and the tabs break off requiring a new rad! The poster mentioned the draincok is like one of those 1157 bulbs with the tabs that you insert then twist.

thanks

#4 ·
drain

You have to actually pull out that drain**** to get coolant to flow and yes it can break so it would be safe to get a replacement "before" draining . When turning the drain**** pull out on the drain**** , it make take some force to pull it out . Also make sure to only use the range HOAT coolant in this era van . This 5 year 100000 mile coolant , though myself I wouldn't go past like 75000 before rerplacing but that is just me . This is funny it blanks out part of draincok

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.