The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

odometer

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  donk 
#1 ·
hi,i ahve a 1999 grand voyager.the odometer stays on when the ignition is turned off and the car locked.is this normal?
i have been getting a dead battery after two to three days of no use and think this could be linked,new battery fitted.:help_wsig

#3 ·
hi,i have had no electrical work done since owning the car,only had it six months.
i have connected an ameter to the battery and have found a .4 of an amp drain.This goes when i pull the fuse marked IOD.Have disconnected most items i can think of but still getting the drain,any one know if a drain of this size would kill the battery.

#4 ·
well if you let it sit long enough it could drain the battery. Maybe a previous owner had electrical work done on it, well most likely because that isn't normal. sounds like a relay that is stuck on though.

#6 ·
Normal draw with ignition off is 5-25 milliamps(ma), you have 400ma. Fix the cause and things will return to normal.

#7 ·
The IOD fuse powers the BCM. The BCM controls every electrical circuit in the van except engine electronics and airbags. Yes this drain as with any drain above the norm will eventually kill a battery if the van sits long enough. Have you disconnected the instrument cluster yet?

#8 ·
Thanks for all or your replies.The problem has been caused by a worn key.
I have been able to remove the key without pressing the key release button.
Guess i should have read the owners manual it would have saved me a weekend of stripping the dash down as i did not know about the button.
Just put it all back together in the dark,curent drain now 0.025.
Six months of pain sorted by your replies.Thank you once again.:ThumbsUp:

#9 ·
Just as another reference point, my no-load current drain on my '97 is about 40-50 mA, even though the book lists 5-25mA as the "allowable". Still not worth tracking down, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Just put it all back together in the dark
LOL. It seems thats the only way I get to work on my vehicles these days as well. Gotta wait til the kids go down (1 and 2 yo) before I can go fiddle with the vehicles, and too much crap in the garage to pull in the van :D

#10 ·
Re: Key Problem

ok, tell me, if it's simply a worn key, what was your solution to that problem? I have noticed a similar problem with my van, with the display sometimes doing as you described, as well as I can remove the key while the engine is runinng. This happened fairly recently and I was contemplating replacing the ignition switch because of it. Would simply replacing the key do it and where did you go to get the key and how did you get it coded?

#11 ·
ok, tell me, if it's simply a worn key, what was your solution to that problem? I have noticed a similar problem with my van, with the display sometimes doing as you described, as well as I can remove the key while the engine is runinng. This happened fairly recently and I was contemplating replacing the ignition switch because of it. Would simply replacing the key do it and where did you go to get the key and how did you get it coded?
In my case I have a 99 DGC Sport with electric locks and no keyless entry or chipped alarm key. The vehicle came with a plain "Valet" key that is thicker but has the same cut and since it was not worn I had a local hardware store make a copy for about $3 and now the key cannot be removed unless it is in the lock position and my problem was solved.

Frank
99 DGC Sport with 114400 mi
07 T&C SWB with 6500 mi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.