Transmission Limp Mode help!

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Limp Mode help!

Thanks

Transmission Limp Mode help!

We have a 96 Grand Caravan Dodge, 3.3ltr and it works absolutely fine
    until it gets warmed up like around 8-10 miles or 10 minutes of idle.
    I shifts up and down perfectly until then. Can you please give us
    some suggestions as to what may be causing this? Could it be something
    simple? We took it to aamco and they said it needs a complete rebuild
    and expect to spend around $2000. I find this very hard to believe
    after doing some internet searches. However, I would like to know
    what steps I should do first? I have several ideas in mind, but would
    like to hear from someone who as already been here.

thanks...Jon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Do you see and strange fluctuations on the tach when this happens? If yes, then it could be a bad engine speed sensor that is confusing the transmission. Mine went into limp mode and the tach went crazy. New engine speed sensor for $28 fixed my 1999 GC. What trouble codes are showing up?

Frank

Thanks

No fluctuations, just limp mode when it gets hot. If I let it sit for 30 minutes to 1 Hour it acts perfect again. Is it possible something is plugged up? not allowing the fluid to cycle and cool.

Thanks

Get a GOOD tech who knows more about actually troubleshooting the unit than scamming you for a rebuild to run a complete diagnostic. Ask him/her to give you the readouts and post them here for second opinion if you like. But a good tech should be able to pinpoint in plain english for you the diagnostic without just repeating rebuild

Thanks

If you can't find a good tech, I would head for the closest Autozone and have them check for error codes with a scanner. It's free. Could be the transmission itself but, most transmission problems are created by sensors and their circuits feeding the transmission bad information. Hopefully a code will show up to reveal the problem.

If nothing shows up, the first step in any transmission problem is to change the fluid and filter and inspect for metal particles in the fluid. Use nothing but ATF-3 or 4 fluid. Keep in mind when you drop the pan you're only changing about 1/3rd of the fluid. The rest is trapped in the torque converter. You'll either have to change it several times, driving it around beween changes (pump it out the dipstick with a pump) or disconnect the cooler lines and pump it out there. Inspect all sensors and associated wiring/connections for security/corrosion/worn areas.

If the worst happens, make sure they change the torque converter along with the tranny and flush the cooler. Particles can get trapped there and trash your new transmission.
    Last edited by RIP; 09-03-2007 at 02:10 PM.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 208K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justgrapejuice View Post
    We took it to aamco and they said it needs a complete rebuild
    and expect to spend around $2000. I find this very hard to believe
    after doing some internet searches.
    Ugh. I remember waaay back when an '87 chevy nova (same as toyota corolla) I had lost 2nd gear - 1st and 3rd would work, but not 2nd. Took it to AAMCO and they said it needed a complete rebuild. Prayed about it, and got a 2nd opinion from an independent mechanic, he said take it out and run it hard through the gears. Did that, wham! 2nd gear came back with a vengeance. That car went another 100,000 miles and no rebuild needed, and is still running today AFAIK (though it has been through a few more owners...), no tranny rebuild.

It was probably a sticking valve in the valve body. Total rebuild? Nah.

- G
    1998 Grand Voyager @282,000mi, 3.3L FFV V6

Thanks

According to the 99 Chrysler Transmission diagnostic manual if you loose 12 volt DC power to the transmission that is one of the failures that causes it to go into limp mode. I have read in the past where the wire harness that goes by the front of the transmission oil pan had frayed cables that caused problems. I know that on my 99 GC I had to secure the harness away from being frayed at the edge of the oil pan. As RIP mentioned, check all your wiring and sensor cables. My guess is that the issue is electrical in nature, and something opens up when it gets hot enough. Most important thing is to try to get diagnostic codes.

Frank
    1999 GC Sport
    2007 T&C SWB

When the failure is corrected please let us know what it was

Thanks

In a 99 GC there is a 20 amp fuse in the Power Distribution Center together with a transmission control relay EATX that sends power to the transmission. Maybe the 96 is similar and you can unplug them and clean them and re-install or possibly swap to eliminate the fuse and relay as being the cause.

Thanks

The transmission computer resets (41TE, 3.3, 2000) when you turn off the engine and 'relearns' after each start up and drive. While driving, everything seems fine as it relearns that it is missing information and the transmission sets in second gear (limp mode). When you turn off the engine (and power) the the information in the transmission computer is lost until the next time you drive. The vans computer, however, will retain the recording of the failure along with a few others such as transmission computer problems and shift problems. A bad sensor can lead to computer faults which in turn cause the transmission not to shift at the right time (again, limp mode) thus producing a bunch of intimidating-sounding codes.

I had a bad sensor, either the input or turbine shaft speed. Anyway, it generated a speed sensor code. Problem fixed for about $30.

Thanks

Temperature sensor??

I remember reading in one of the threads where someone's trans went into limp mode because a temperature sensor was reading high. Could it be you have a temp sensor that is reporting an inaccurate temperature and causing it to go limp?

+ Reply to Thread