The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Strange noise from under the hood.

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  JCamasto 
#1 ·
I just noticed a strange sound thats possibly coming from my tansmission in my 96PGV 3.3L.

Its not the normal buzzing sound of the solenoids. Its completely random, doesn't make it when i hit a bumb, floor it, or the tranny shifts. The bestway i can describe it as someone draging there fingernail over a metal comb if that makes any sense.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Are you sure this isn't coming from the drivebelt end of the engine? There is a very common noise that sounds like a bell ringing or crickets chirping. I've seen some debate as to whether it is a bearing going bad or resonance from the belt slipping very slightly side-to-side across, say, the water pump pulley.

- G

#3 ·
the problem is its so random, that i can't duplicate it, but when i have my window down it sounds like its coming from the tranny. The acc belt is still in good shape.

Theres no change in performance when it does it, im just uber paranoid when it comes to the transmission lol

#7 ·
I noticed today that my '97 Grand Voyager 3.3 was making a noise similar to what you guys are describing. Mine does it with the van running in drive or reverse with my foot on the brake. Sounds like two pieces of metal grinding. The fluid looks fine and doesn't smell burnt. Any advice would be great.

#8 ·
You could also remove the ABS relay or fuse. That would disengage the ABS system if the ABS pump were to be malfunctioning, it would cut power to it. Just to eliminate that as the culprit, unless it is of course.

#9 ·
I get the "comb" noise occasionally ('02 DGC SE 100kmi) - only when in reverse, and then (usually) only with the LF wheel/strut higher than RF. Specifically, up on a small berm or curb, when I retrieve mail from the curbside box, then reverse back to our driveway.

Not ABS related, far as I have discerned - unless it's the tone wheel rubbing. ABS functions fine...

-Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.