The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

P0442 & P0455

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Gino45 
#1 ·
I've got a 2001 SE and the check engine light came on a few days ago. I checked for codes as was described on this forum and came up with P0442 & 0445. I know this is related to the Evap system. Funny thing is that I had the engine light come on two months ago and the dealer mentioned that it was a small EVAP leak. They couldn't find where it was leaking and I guess they reset the codes since the engine light didn't come on for two months. Now I'm back at square one! I intend on checking my vacuum hoses, but was wondering how I clear out the codes without a code scanner. If I change a hose or two I would like to clear the codes so as to know that I've fixed the problem. Will I be able to clear the codes and the engine light by disconnecting the battery?

#2 ·
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=2502 has pics of 2 locations for leaks which I've experienced and fixed both for under $5 and 30 minutes of my time.

Yes you can reset the light, but the key to this is you have to make the engine run a vacuum test of the evaporative system to know if it is fixed or not. That only occurs under specific conditions, temp 40-86F, fuel 15-85%, engine is at ambient temp (or within 10F I think), etc etc.

If you check the 2 spots in the above thread, I would bet $$$ that one of them is bad. Our's is a 2001 also and the first one happened 2 years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.