The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

New code...P0442

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  psal2 
#1 ·
Old thread http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=5597

New item. My wife brought the van in for inspection, I had cleared the codes a month ago and they did not come back until yesterday. Of course, I am not sure that the dealer can or cannot detect when a code is cleared (can they?) but either way, the timing sucked. It failed emissions.

I need to get into the air housing area to look for the cracked tube that everyone seems to have and hopefully find it.

The state inspection place (in Central PA) told my wife she needed to have the Dodge dealer fix it and then bring it back for re-inspection. If I can find the leak and fix it, does the local inspection place accept that? Or am I caught between a rock and a hard place with them.

Or if I just clear the codes with my reader, would they be able to detect that or could I do that and bring it to another inspection place?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Pete

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't imagine the inspector caring where it's fixed as long as there are no codes and he can perform a valid test. I'd just ask him. I'd also ask what I needed to do to generate a valid test after clearing codes.

The PCM has to record the van going through a few warmup cycles and reaching certain speeds for a period of time before it can present a valid inspection test. Because PCM tracks this, the inspector can tell if you are presenting a vehicle with an adequate history (a few cycles and some highway-speed driving) or if perhapse you reset your PCM across the street just before the inspection. This is done because some codes won't be generated until the same failure has been detected more than once and maybe several times which requires more than one warmup cycle (maybe why your code comes back after a while...). Likewise, some codes are self clearing after the fault has not been detected after several cycles.

#3 ·
The cracked hose would be UNDER NEATH the air cleaner housing assembly.
Also check the hoses under the drivers side going to charcol cannisters.
You can tell the guy you fixed it your self, have wife bring receipt for 2" section of rubber hose.
Usually if they can't test using the plug, they can do the manual roller test, which takes more time. Depends on your state.

#4 ·
The PCM does keep track of recent codes (maybe all codes?)and even time on the engine since first installed. However, there are from 7 to 9 "MONITOR" functions that must be in proper status else you will fail an emissions test. Resetting error codes will not put those in proper "states" . After a reset a number of good run cycles must occur for some MONITORS such as an evap. test. Refer to Chrysler service info if available. Good luck, Jim

#5 ·
I had typed up a response the other day, but must not have hit submit.

Anyway, to add to the info, if you can document that you found a problem and fixed it, and it's relevant, I can't see why they wouldn't accept that. If you do find a bad hose, take it with you and show they where the new replacement is.

Also, the evaporative system vacuum test only runs under certain conditions. 40-86F, 15-85% fuel level, cold engine start, etc etc, and will be part of a 'global good trip' I believe which will be set in the computer. I'm pretty sure they can read the results of the last global good trip when everything was tested.

#6 ·
Still not corrected. Took of the Air Cleaner, the 5/16 tube was good there. Garage said the gas cap is fine.

They do smoke test but not on Dodge (only GM and Ford).

How much does the smoke test normally cost? I am in Central PA and was wondering what kind of bucks I am looking at to fix this.

Thanks,
Pete

#9 ·
I bought the Rhino ramps (hope the 8000# is strong enough). Now to find a flat place to do this. My driveway slopes too much, street is up or down depending on the direction you face and the garage has too much in it to do it there.

Hopefully, it will lift it high enough to get under.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.