The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

replacing nivomat

44K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  cdarnold 
#1 ·
Can you replace the nivomat by regular shocks ? I am far from ready to change mine but I'm just curious, btw the nivomat are reliable or not ?

thanks guys

#4 ·
Volvo has used Nivomats for years on their independent rear suspension wagons. They last about 130,000 miles on these applications, but the shocks DO wear out eventually.

As was mentioned, you can't put regular shocks on a Nivomat vehicle since they are designed-in and supplement the regular springs. Several Volvo parts houses sell conversion kits with new rear springs and regular shocks, as the replacement Nivomats ARE expensive.

#8 ·
nivomat

Have them on our 2004 and they seem to work well . I hook up my 18 ft boat that probably has a 250-300 lb tongue weight and it keeps it pretty level. Expensive , yes . Never get them at the dealer they will be be over $400 a piece . If you search around the web or even ebay motors they will always be less then $250 a piece or less . Not cheap but a lot less than the dealer.

#9 ·
Yes you need new springs! Putting on new shocks will not carry the weight, removed from the Nivomat failures. I have had 3 vans with these "cheaply made" shocks Nivomat, and every one of them showed severe spring fatigue at the end of the life of the shocks which all crapped out at 100KM. Very noticeable when you fill the van with more that 3 people. This time around I am going to improve the springs first. For 700 a pair and new springs, it would be much cheaper to buy a complete rear end and purchase other types of shocks. Leave them in volvo's get them out of our american cars.

Add up my purchases of Nivomat shocks 6 sets over three vans and I could by a truck.

#11 ·
Stan, it's unfortunate that you've had problems, but you appear to be in the minority. Cadillac is now also using Sachs Nivomat shocks in their new STS models. They're a proven design, but nothing is perfect. There will be some failures out there.

#12 ·
For 700 a pair and new springs, it would be much cheaper to buy a complete rear end and purchase other types of shocks. Leave them in volvo's get them out of our american cars.
Again, sorry to hear that you are having this problem. It is not a common one.
You can buy them alot cheaper then that. Check on the internet.

#18 ·
I guess I will not by a volvo, they have them too.
Volvos have had them for years, and GM has used them often as well. They really are reliable shocks, in general.

#20 ·
I am seconding that they are crap shocks. I bought replacement Nivomats last spring (bought from PartsTrain.com, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM, their customer service sucks and they will not back up their garbage they sell) and put them on the wifes van. They are not even 11 months old and the left one is blown out completely and the right one is leaking. I am looking into getting rid of this GARBAGE from under my wifes van as it is UNACCEPTABLE to have to replace a shock absorber that costs $450 a pair, every year. I could replace regular shocks on all four corners of the average car, every month, for that kinda dough (shocks for my Dodge Dart are under $15 apiece). Garbage, Stear CLEAR of these shocks and PartsRippoff.com.

My .02 on Nivogarbage.

#21 ·
I am looking into getting rid of this GARBAGE from under my wifes van as it is UNACCEPTABLE to have to replace a shock absorber that costs $450 a pair, every year.
Your situation is not normal. Were they genuine parts you put on?
Also do you do lots of towing or heavy loads maybe?
Just wondering why you are having abnormal trouble...:Wow1:

#22 ·
I have never had to replace one of these shocks. I have put about 100K on my last two vans. I live on the road from ****. I have had to replace the front sway bar bushings and end links several times a year, as well as front struts, tie rod ends, etc. Why would you have to replace the nivomats so often? I could see maybe once, but every year?
I have been quite impressed with the performance of these things. Great ride, handling and load leveling. I have used my van to move pianos, 2,000 square feet of hard wood flooring, multiple sheets of sheetrock and plywood, etc. with NO PROBLEMS.

#23 ·
I bought my ’01 Town & Country AWD back at the end of 2005 with 82K miles on it. The nivomats were shot (clunking over bumps that could also be felt in the floorboard, also wallowed around over bumps) so I called around. My local muffler and brake shop said I didn’t need those great big things and put regular shocks on it. I could tell something didn’t seem quite right immediately but drove away anyway.:eek:

Now, after two years and 30K miles of bottoming out the suspension :eekkkk: over bumps with anything heavier than a box of Kleenex in the back seat one of the shocks gave out. I’m putting the correct nivomats on it. Found a set on Ebay for under $300 total. Quite the deal considering the Chrysler dealer quoted me about $725 for the job. I guess we’ll see just how good a deal I got when they show up and I put them on.

#27 ·
My local muffler and brake shop said I didn’t need those great big things and put regular shocks on it.
Ahh, love it when parts replacers try to out-engineer the engineers!

Now, after two years and 30K miles of bottoming out the suspension :eekkkk: over bumps with anything heavier than a box of Kleenex in the back seat one of the shocks gave out.
So you've found out that the springs that come with the Nivomat shocks are actually softer than the standard springs. Kind of contrary, since you'd think that the trailer tow prep package would include stiffer springs, but that's the way it is.

Good on ya for going out and finding a deal on them! Hope the install goes well.

#28 ·
Are they harder to install then regular shocks? Are there any special connections or anything?
They are completely self-contained, no air lines, no electrical connections.

I do understand that they're not easy to compress by yourself, unlike a regular shock. But other than that, they should be relatively easy to replace. You'll need a 15mm socket for the upper and lower shock bolts (don't ask me how I know!). :)

Edit: no wait! It's a 19mm I think. Either 15mm or 19mm. One fits the rear shock bolts and one fits the front stabilizer bar bracket bolts.

#31 ·
Are you doing this with the rear suspension fully extended? Or is the back just up on ramps? You may have to put the rear body on tall jack stands and let the rear axle droop. Then use a floor jack under each side of the axle tube to lift it up until the Nivomat lines up with the lower mount.

#32 ·
I've got the shocks on (after breaking a bolt and then breaking a drill bit off in that broken bolt :mad: ).

The ride height is back to what it should be.:thumb:

I also had new sway bar bushings and links installed. Took care of that clunking in the front end. Don't know what I'm going to do now that everything rides like it should and doesn't make any noise.

Thanks to all for their help.

I've attached a picture of the correct shock next to the wrong one if anyone is curious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.