HOAT coolant vs All make coolant

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HOAT coolant vs All make coolant

Thanks

HOAT coolant vs All make coolant

Hello,

I am looking to buy some coolant to top my 2005 GCV. At my local store, I only see antifreeze/coolant which is compatible with ANYantifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks.

Can I trust a brand like Prestone to top up my coolant or am I better off going to the dealer to pick a jug of the OEM?

Thanks
    Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulg_ca View Post
    Hello,

I am looking to buy some coolant to top my 2005 GCV. At my local store, I only see antifreeze/coolant which is compatible with ANYantifreeze/ coolant regardless of color for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks.

Can I trust a brand like Prestone to top up my coolant or am I better off going to the dealer to pick a jug of the OEM?

Thanks
    Paul
    I've always been told to not mix the different coolant types...why take a chance?

Thanks

Paul:

Were it me, I would pick up a gallon from the dealer if you are just looking to top off. That way, you won't end up with an awful looking mess when you mix different colors even though they claim to be mixable.

I plan to do this for my wifes 05.

When/if you finally do decide to flush and/or change it, take a look at the Prestone Global GO5 amber coolant. I just did a complete flush/refill with this on my 01 Durango, and so far am very pleased. The D came with the factory green stuff that only lasts for 3/30, so I was not going to continue that way.

Don
    05 Linen Gold Pearl Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L (hers)

04 Flame Red Hemi 5.7L Dodge Durango SLT
    (Mine)

Thanks

Welcome to the ongoing and sometimes heated discussion of coolants. Here is my take on it: Coolant does a lot more than just keep your engine from overheating. It also contains additives to prevent electrolysis, lubricate the seal in the water pump, prevent foaming, and condition gaskets. The pros say there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all coolant. I agree. With the life of your radiator, heater core, water pump, and heater tubes at stake, and the cost of replacing those components FAR exceeding the extra cost of genuine Chrysler coolant, why would anybody risk it?

Read this article on coolant electrolysis and then let us know if you think saving a few bucks by buying a universal coolant is worth it? http://free-auto-repair-advice.blogs...l/electrolysis
    I'm a retired ASE Master/L-1 Technician. I still keep current with the latest automotive technology. I now have over 400 repair articles, TSBs, and wiring diagrams on my blog: http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com//

Thanks

When I did the head gaskets on the 1998 a few weeks ago I drained the coolant and replaced it with Peak Sierra which is a Propylene Glycol based antifreeze. I did that for two reasons, 1) it is supposedly less toxic to the environment in the event of an accidental spill, and 2) it is less toxic to engine bearings in the event that I don't get the slow coolant leak into the engine oil.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro (5-Speed manual)
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2009 Mazda3 i Touring (5-Speed manual)
    2012 VW GTI (6-Speed manual)

Thanks

Been using the plain old green Prestone for 30+ years. I just change it every other year, change the hoses and t-stat every 4 years. Been living in a desert for 14 years. Never had a cooling system problem on any of my vehicles. Works for me. My 06 RAV4 came with that extended life coolant. There went the apple cart.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 206K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

RIP, where do you find plain old green Prestone? I would love to keep using that in my 63 LeMans but I can't find it anyplace. Everything on the shelf now is 5-Year use with any color stuff.

Thanks

Dealer stuff is the best to use in the new ones (Chrysler Products) with the Red antifreeze.
    However you can use this safely. It is not red but is the same formula and alittle cheaper then the dealer stuff.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=10
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

The dealer stuff is "embittered" so that it tastes real bad to pets and wildlife. It is only a few dollars more than the G5 near colorless stuff sold at your parts store. The life you save may be your pet.

Richard
    2004 Town & Country Limited, Michlin HydroEdge, added OEM Rear Sway Bar, German OEM Headlights with Hella H7+30 and H9 bulbs, Centric Rotors, Akabono Ceramic Pads, front and rear, rear hitch.

2001 PT Cruiser Limited automatic, Goodyear TripleTread rear, Goodyear Eagle ResponseEdge front, performance sway bar bushings and front links, 9011 and 9012 bulbs, front tower bar, Centric Rotors, Akabono Ceramic Pads, front only, Champion dual plat plugs, Mopar performance plug wires.

Thanks

coolant

It might also be a good time to change the coolant (propylene glycol) in your toothpaste.

+ Reply to Thread