The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

obd-II engine code P0404 (EGR Valve)

58K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  rangercreek 
#1 ·
I received this error code on our 2005 Chrysler 3.3 Town & Country. From what I have been reading, it sounds like the EGR valve either needs to be cleaned or replaced. I, for the life of me, can not find the EGR valve. Can someone point to me where it is? I have a picture of a new one and see nothing under the hood that looks anything even close to it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
Bryan

#2 ·
egr

Not sure how you can miss it , it right on the front of the motor on the left hand side as you face it . If its being done at the dealer you are looking at $200 . Just had it replaced on our 2004 . These should last longer than 56000 miles , it is stuff like this that tickes you off.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Shouldn't be hard to see? Man, I must be an idiot. Do I need to remove anything to be able to see it? Does it look anything like this:

The above picture is what shows up when I go to buy a replacement one online for my year and model T&C. I don't see anything under the hood that looks like this. Am I just that blind?

Thanks!!!

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Shouldn't be hard to see? Man, I must be an idiot. Do I need to remove anything to be able to see it? Does it look anything like this:

[image removed]

The above picture is what shows up when I go to buy a replacement one online for my year and model T&C. I don't see anything under the hood that looks like this. Am I just that blind?

Thanks!!!
Dude, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that I've already told you (twice) that not all vans have an EGR valve. Yes, no? While I don't (yet) have documented proof of this, it is my understanding that unless your van was originally delivered in (or very near a border with) California, Washington, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, Maine or Canada, you DON'T have an EGR system installed in your car.

So, it's like vipergg said, "Not sure how you can miss it, it's right on the front of the motor on the left hand side as you face it." What that means is that if you don't see it, you don't have it.

#11 ·
Location of New Gen EGR

I have on 04 T&C and just got a p0404. I too was looking around for the EGR but I believe it has the new electronically actuated one. If I'm looking at the right thing(?????), it is right up front to the left side of engine just above the alternator. The tube from the top of engine goes down to it. It is all one piece with 2 bolts holding it to engine and 2 bolts connecting the tube. There are no vacuum hoses on it. The solenoid part is about 5 inches long and about 3 inches in dia.and looks like a small motor. Can anyone confirm this is the EGR??? I'll try and put a picture up tomorrow. Also, I called the dealer and was told $75 but when I asked him to describe what it looked like, he said it was basically generic picture that connects to vacuum hoses. I read somewhere on the net the the comp has to be "reprogrammed" when this EGR is replaced. Any thoughts????

#7 ·
Theres no way you can miss it. It's out in the open on the left side as you face the engine. The EGR in the picture would be attached to a stainless steel tube. I realize your engine may not be so equipped, but the others have not said why you would throw a P0404 code if you don't have one? Anyone? I'm curious now. (my 2001 NJ Caravan does have a EGR)

#8 ·
I'm curious now. (my 2001 NJ Caravan does have a EGR)
I believe that your New Jersey Caravan is a sympathetic casualty of the New York laws. When we bought our 1998 in Ramsey, NJ we were told that we had to opt for the New York pollution controls as NJ is a border state. That said, we bought our 2003 in New Hampshire (which is surrounded on all sides by CARB wannabe states/countries) and it does NOT have an EGR system. Go figure.

#10 ·
I know I have one and why. I was just curious if/how a non-equipped engine could throw a P0404 code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.