An Effective, and Affordable Alternative to Lucas UCL / Fuel Treatment

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An Effective, and Affordable Alternative to Lucas UCL / Fuel Treatment

Thumbs up An Effective, and Affordable Alternative to Lucas UCL / Fuel Treatment

** MY DISCLAIMER: This is an off-label use of a product. Although many people use this with success, please do your own decision making, etc. etc. and so on.. **

OK, moving on...

Although I am a fan of occasional use of Techron fuel system cleaner, I am generally not a fan of the usual fuel additives on a regular basis. This is my one exception, I have used it in both my vehicles for years, I use it every time I get gas. While I will not make any wild claims about using this product, I will share my experience, and share that thousands of other people have used it with similar success.

Benefits:

* Slight increase in fuel economy / miles per gallon. In my old van, I consistently see 2-4% better fuel economy. 27mpg Highway, with almost a quarter million miles.
    * It more than pays for itself, via the increase in fuel economy.
    * Provides a bit of lubrication and protection to the fuel pump, fuel lines, and injectors.
    * Helps keep the fuel pump, fuel lines, and injectors clean.
    * Quiets down the fuel pump, and injectors a bit.
    * Helps keep the top end/valves a bit cleaner.

What is it?

* TC-W3 Outboard 2-Stroke Oil. About 1 ounce per every 5 gallons of gas.

For some of you reading, this may sound a bit crazy, and not only are you entitled to your opinion, I'll say I thought the same when I was first presented with this idea.

Results are varied in different motors, and with different gas. I have the 3.0L in my van, and I always run Non-Ethanol gas.

The fuel efficiency increase is not a placebo effect (not in mine). I have done a few fillups without along the way to see if there was a drop, and there always is. The gain in mine is around 2-4% more miles per gallon.

There are different brands of the TC-W3 oil around, Pennzoil is popular. I buy the plain old SuperTech TC-W3 by the gallon at WalMart, it's 12 dollars and change a gallon. They also sell it in a pint bottle for 2 dollars and change, which is a great size to buy and try it out, and also makes for a great measurement bottle (has the oz markings in the clear view up the side of bottle), and one to stash in the van and use for fill-ups.

A gallon will last for well over 10,000 miles, give or take depending on where you drive city/hwy.

The only thing to make sure of is the TC-W3 rating, that rating is for the water-cooled outboard engines, and it will burn off completely and cleanly during combustion in a 4-stroke engine.

I will again state my disclaimer.. I'm using 1 ounce per every 5 gallons of gas. Thats 4 ounces in a 20 gallon tank. If you stop and get a few gallons and pour a whole pint in your tank, please don't be mad at me when you're spraying for mosquitos for the next couple hundred miles There is no smoke in the exhaust at the rate I'm using it. And while I can't say it keeps the valves and top of piston shiny new, or makes everything last forever, I CAN say it offers me an increase in fuel efficiency, a quieter fuel pump, quieter injectors, and the hope that those components are all a bit better protected. I have heard from others that use it say it makes their engine idle smoother; I did not experience that myself, but my van idled pretty smooth to begin with.

I also use it in my motorcycle, although in it I use a bit more - 1 ounce per 4 gallons of gas. I can say verifiably in my bike, it keeps the insides of the carbeurators squeaky shiny clean, and the idle is noticeably smoother. I do not keep track of my fuel efficiency on her, as it largely depends on how spirited my driving is during a given tank.

This trick is also used in diesel fuel, and its been around for a few decades now. It will not harm any sensors or anything else at the ratio used. Please do look into this if you are interested, there are many many writeups to be found of success stories with use, and if anyone gives it a try, please do post your results in the thread here for others.

Take care
    1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE 3.0L
    Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W40 Oil, Purolator PureOne (Oversized) PL30001 Filter
    Original Engine. Transmission Rebuilt at 224k mi, Running Valvoline ATF+4
    Everstart MAXX-27 (Oversized) Battery, 810CCA
    Power Steering Converted to Valvoline ATF+4
    Valvoline Zerex Original Green 50/50 Coolant
    225/70R15 (Oversized) Tires, Stock Rims
    NGK V-Power Spark Plugs, .044 Gap

243,000 miles and counting

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Benefits #3 & 4 are already covered in modern fuel, #'s 1 & 5 are related (increased fuel viscosity).
    that leaves 2 & 4 - if you've done the math and verified #2, good for you but #4 is hearsay (you need a control to be able to claim it)

Though I find it tough to believe that buying 'pure gas' and the additive provides a meaningful savings over buying the cheaper and more widely available E10 (but that would depend on your local 'market')
    anything that keeps the 3L Mitsu ticking is a good thing (those motors can't hold a candle to the virtually indestructible 3.3/3.8 Chrysler designs)
    relevant vehicle: '05 -=C=- T&C Ltd @~135K

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by atoman View Post
    Benefits #3 & 4 are already covered in modern fuel, #'s 1 & 5 are related (increased fuel viscosity).
    that leaves 2 & 4 - if you've done the math and verified #2, good for you but #4 is hearsay (you need a control to be able to claim it)

Though I find it tough to believe that buying 'pure gas' and the additive provides a meaningful savings over buying the cheaper and more widely available E10 (but that would depend on your local 'market')
    anything that keeps the 3L Mitsu ticking is a good thing (those motors can't hold a candle to the virtually indestructible 3.3/3.8 Chrysler designs)
    The improvement in fuel mileage is slight, but is a definite. As my van is long in the tooth, I keep an eye on the fuel mileage for indication of something going wrong. My comparison of mileage with and without the oil added, is with straight Gasoline (not E-10) for both.

Oh, we have the E10 Gasohol everywhere around here where I live, the non ethanol costs me around 40 cents more a gallon. As my van is older, and my motorcycle is older and carbeurated, i REFUSE to run E10 in either of them. My bike will barely even run right on it the few times Ive been forced to buy it, it ends up running lean, popping everyime I let off the gas, and I don't want the expensive repair costs down the road that the ethanol/water it attracts cause. For the newer vehicles designed to run the E10, perhaps it is not so bad, I do not know. For older ones, imo the E10 is just bad bad stuff.

I can tell you on my motorcycle, it does keep the carbs spotless on the inside, and that is an improvement over times with this bike where I did not run it, and carbs on other motorcycles in the past that I did not run it with. The cleanliness is remarkable.
    Last edited by Upgrayedd; 01-26-2014 at 03:59 PM.

But what effect does it have on the catalytic converter?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply