Window won't go down

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Window won't go down

Thanks

Window won't go down

The driver's side window of the 2002 Grand Caravan Sport won't go down. Passenger works, rear wings work.

Awhile back it was intermitten. Somedays it would go down and others it wouldn't. Mostly through the winter and I thought it was ice build up. Well it is 85 degrees now and it doesn't go down at all.

Could it be the switch or a problem with the window track?

Are any special tools required to get the door panel off?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

psal2, I will be following your footsteps at sometime in the future, as the drivers window on my 01 Grand Caravan Sport, will not close on first attempt. (Occurs less than 1 in 40).

Since your challenge is now a hard fault, it may be easier to trouble shoot.

I had switch problems (replaced it on my old GM however I had used the window a lot over the years)

Mechanical - binding problem would place high current demand and the window motors internal self resetting fuse would open (until it cooled) without the engine on you would likely see a dimming of interior lights during this high current draw, depending on the age of your battery you may see dimming while operating the good passengers window too.

To determine if it is the switch (and associated circuitry) you might consider removing the 18 pin connector at the window switch and test out the motor by connecting a ground and a fused 12 volt source to the corresponding wires. Connect them one way for up and the opposite way for down. Per the Shop Manual you will need a trim stick (a 1" putty know often works for the DIYer) start at the bottom of the switch and bezel assy and pry up to remove from the door trim panel. If you choose to go ahead with this I will provide the 2 pin numbers and colors (chances are your 02 MAY have the same sw assy pin out and colors.)

cheers.
    2001 Grand Caravan Sport

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 60Anglia105E View Post

To determine if it is the switch (and associated circuitry) you might consider removing the 18 pin connector at the window switch and test out the motor by connecting a ground and a fused 12 volt source to the corresponding wires. Connect them one way for up and the opposite way for down. Per the Shop Manual you will need a trim stick (a 1" putty know often works for the DIYer) start at the bottom of the switch and bezel assy and pry up to remove from the door trim panel. If you choose to go ahead with this I will provide the 2 pin numbers and colors (chances are your 02 MAY have the same sw assy pin out and colors.)

cheers.

I am not that electrically/mechanically inclined and not really sure what I could use to do this. Can you give me an example of a fused 12 volt source? The only thing I can think of is the radio (and I don't want to pull that). Can I use jumpers from the passenger door?

Now give me a piece of wood and I can make something but electrical stuff boggles my mind.

Thanks

well, if you can get your hands on a cigarette adapter with 6 foot length wires, strip the ends bare 3/8" that would do. If you pick one up at the local auto store ask for one that is not fused (if it is make certain it is at least 10 amps, if less then buy a 10 or even a 20 amp fuse for it) then you can rely on the adapters fuse in the fuse panel.

You are looking for pins 6 & 8 on the 14 pin connector (I incorrectly stated 18 pin in my earlier post), per the manual for my 2001, 6 is Orange with a Light Green tracer (a thin line of light green) and Orange with white tracer respectively. After removing the wire harness from the switch, place the wire harness in your hand with the tab (the tab holds the connector in place you needed to push on it to remove the wire harness connector from the switch assembly) at the bottom and wires going away from you. In this orientation they are numbered 1 thru 7 from left to right on the bottom and 8 thru 14 from left to right on the top. 10 and 12 should have no wires. If all the above does not match, then your wire coloring and harness may differ from mine.....in which case a dealer may be a better option.
    Last edited by 60Anglia105E; 06-25-2007 at 03:28 AM.
    2001 Grand Caravan Sport

Thanks

I had the same problem on our's, replaced the motor/gearbox, it worked for a bit, then stopped again. You could hear the relay coming in/out, but no movement. I took it apart again, the motor still worked fine.

This time around though, I greased the cables on the back side of the vertical metal guides, and it's worked flawlessly for 2 months or so now.

Taking the panel off isn't that hard if you've done it before, but for a first-time, get a Haynes/Chilton/factory manual to get a better idea.

Thanks

Thanks all. I will see what I can do. Might be a few days. I am picking up a manual and I did pick up an OEM door panel removing tool at Autozone. Maybe, I won't break as many of the clips.

I will let you know.

Pete

Thanks

Still haven't gotten to this but my wife was at a local mechanics place the other day and he said it was the motor. Said he is replacing Dodge window motors all the time.

Sounds like they have a problem. Any idea what the motor to the window will cost?

Pete

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psal2 View Post
    Still haven't gotten to this but my wife was at a local mechanics place the other day and he said it was the motor. Said he is replacing Dodge window motors all the time.

Sounds like they have a problem. Any idea what the motor to the window will cost?

Pete
    Partly why they replace so many is because there are so many. There are at least twice as many Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth minivans on the road than any other manufacturer. Power window motors are subject to failure, no matter who the vehicle manufacturer is. More problems with Chrysler products is mostly because there are more of them on the road.
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 99K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 65K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 65K mi

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Talking Cheap fix ...

Try this, it worked for me! (2x in 2 years)

Open Door,
    Place finger on the switch for the down position,
    With your other hand, Slam door closed real hard ... while finger is still on the button, watch window resume operation.
    Repeat if necessary.
    Enjoy!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex For This Useful Post:

larryz (10-06-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Try this, it worked for me! (2x in 2 years)

Open Door,
    Place finger on the switch for the down position,
    With your other hand, Slam door closed real hard ... while finger is still on the button, watch window resume operation.
    Repeat if necessary.
    Enjoy!
    Okay...I get it...first thought was I was on the outside and my finger was on the inside...ouch...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply