The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

P1684 and P0442

30K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  RIP 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Chrysler Town and Country Van and the check engine light just came on this morning. I got the following codes and would like to know what they mean:

P1684 and P0442

I just had the oil changed and am wondering what could be wrong now. :nut: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
1684 just means the battery has been disconnected. Disregard this one.

0442 means you have a small leak in the Evaporative Emissions or EVAP system. Check all those small vacuum hoses for cracks.

#4 ·
I am working on solving a evap code myself on mine, I am starting with one of the common problems which is the gas cap..........

here is the kicker...a aftermarket cap that has no little tether on it to hang the cap by is $12.99 at my local parts stores.

a factory cap with the tether is $5.85...which is what I bought.....one of the rare cases that a factory part is cheaper than the aftermarket :ThumbsUp:

#10 ·
Yeah I know about the price that the auto parts store wanted, i just replaced my gas cap, and it didnt come with the hole to put that hanger in so you dont loose it. But a tab was there so you can push it out and place that plastic piece in so you dont have to obsolete that retainer for the gas cap..should of done my research on that..

#5 · (Edited)
My 2003 3.3 eng. had the same P0442 leak that eventually developed into a P0455 Gross leak. Turned out to be a small approx. 2 inch long rubber coupling hose under the air cleaner box. It connects a metal tube from the evap. cannister to a plastic tube going to the purge solenoid. A bad crack occurred because these tubes were way out of alignment. The air cleaner box must be removed to get to this hose but is very easy to do . Jim

#6 ·
0442 error. I have a 2002 Caravan with the 3.3L engine. I pulled off my airbox looking for a 2 inch hose, and didn't find one. One metal line and one rubber line that connected to the washer bottle. Your thread (rangercreek) stated a 2003 model. Could my 2002 be a different layout perhaps? In any case I will continue my search for the cannister, purge solenoid and test pump (underneath), and look for more hoses.

#8 ·
0442 eroor code

I have a 2002 T&C with 3.3L engine and just fixed my similar error code (456) by removing the air cleaner box and locating the wrapped bundle just beneath and to the right of the air box mount. You were close when you first looked but missed the 2 wrapped vacuum lines and 1 wiring bundle that leads to the vacuum leak detector solenoid near the passenger headlamp. It's there so look again.

The culprit, in my case, was a T fitting with cracked rubber hose on both sides. I purchased a 6 inch section of vacuum line from Kragens, removed the T fitting since I don't want it in there to cause any more problems, and replaced it with the new line. Fixed the vacuum leak and error code is gone.

Before doing this, I followed the mfgs. diagram, went under the car and traced all lines from front to back of the vehicle and then removed the left rear wheel splash guard to check on the fuel filler and other hoses in the fender. All those lines are made of a more durable plastic or aluminum material and were fine - the line I ended up replacing next to the air cleaner box was rubber that had cracked from heat and age. Luckily a simple fix.

Hope that helps. :thumb:

#7 ·
Aftermarket gas caps dont have the tether because they arent made for any specific application,that same cap could be used on a Ford Ranger for example,or a GM pickup.If it has a tether,the dealer will automatically get the sale over the parts stores....that is if the driver HAS to have the tether.Personally,the tether is a convenience and a great way to avoid losing the cap (and tripping the engine light).I replaced it recently just as a matter of course.

#11 ·
2003 Chrysler Town and Country Mini-Van

:help_wsig My check engine light came on in May I took it to Auto Zone and they checked it for free and told me it was the gas cap. Well, I tightened the gas cap and reset the check engine light by unhooking the battery cables. It was fine until July. Then when I took it to have it inspected they did a diagnostic test on it and said it was the code P0442 a leak. So, now I'm stumped and confused. I'm a 39yr old woman trying to survive with two kids. I can't afford to have it worked on, I can barely make the payments...So, I wondering is the anyone out there that can take me step by step through the process of trying to solve this on my own? I'm desperate! :help_wsig

#12 · (Edited)
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0442

As stated in the link this could again be as simple as a poorly sealing gas cap or as challenging as any of several vacuum lines in the EVAP system. This can be tough to track down without using the normal smoke machine test equipment used to trace the leak.

I take it your service engine light came back on before the test? Does "took it to have it inspected" mean for your states emissions testing and now that it failed you have a short period of time to get it fixed? Most states emissions testing usually includes a pressure test on the gas cap using a purpose designed tester. Did they do that?

If this "inspection" has nothing to do with state emmissions testing, other than having a constant service engine light, your van will run just fine.

#13 ·
R.i.p

Yes, I took it for its state Emission testing and it did not pass they said due to that particular code. I asked them if it was due to to the gas cap and they said no It was due to a leak that was very small. I even went back to auto zone and had them test it again and this time they said it was the same, an "emissions leak." So, as of now I'm driving it illegally because it's my only means of transportation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.