2009 Chrysler Town and Country No Dash instrument cluster lights, dome lights

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Chrysler Town and Country No Dash instrument cluster lights, dome lights

2009 Chrysler Town and Country No Dash instrument cluster lights, dome lights

About a year ago this happened and then stopped. Now its back.
    My dashboard instrument cluster (odometer, compass, turn signal indicators, lights behind the speedometer and tach, shift indicator), dome lights, and key in ignition/door open chime do not work. Turn signals work outside, just don't show in the dash.
    The speedometer and guages work, but nothing that lights up. Radio and windshield wipers are fine.
    Once in a while, they come back on, but mostly they are completely off, turning the dimmer switch all the way up does nothing. Can't drive at night because can't see speedometer without the light behind it.

I thought the issue a year ago was the heater hose above the exhaust was leaking, and after I fixed that the issue went away, but now the dash lights issue is back after the van was parked at an airport parking lot outside for a week. Again I'm thinking moisture may be the issue, but I have no idea.
    Anyone else have this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

I've been waiting for my source for wiring diagrams to open up again to confirm this but it looks like it may take a while. Time to crawl out on a limb. As I recall the lamp drivers for dash lighting on a 2009 are in the TIPM (fuse box)***. It also controls interior lighting. Might try a wiggle/tap test on the TIPM and connections and disconnect the TIPM connections and inspect for corrosion or some sort of damage. Disconnect the negative battery cable first.

Prior to 2008 the Body Control Module or BCM handled those functions. In 2008 Chrysler incorporated most BCM and FCM functions into the IPM and called it the TIPM. That means the Totally Integrated Power Module or TIPM is the primary controller for most electrical functions in the van - a catch all. It's packed with circuit boards that fail to communicate at times. Corrosion is a known problem and often fatal requiring replacement.

*** If I learn otherwise I'll jump back on here. Can anyone confirm?
    Last edited by RIP; 01-13-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 214K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord

We have developed EXACTLY the same symptoms on our 2009 T&C. I have checked all of the fuses and relays in the box under the hood, and looked for loose connections in various wiring harnesses that I can loosely trace to the area. No change. Occasionally it lights up for a few seconds when the engine is first started.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

The link I posted for TSB's & electrical diagrams in the Tech section includes 2009
    The electrical diagrams are there.

Tech-tips
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/for...p/36-TECH-TIPS

My post:
    free TSB & Wiring Diagram Database
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...agram-Database

direct link:
    http://www.bbbind.com/tech_database.html
    2009 Dodge GC SXT - 3.8
    sold - 2001 Chrysler T&C LXi

Still have the issue no dash lights

I tried the following: Disconnected the battery. Pulled up the main fuse box/electrical box in the engine compartment next to the battery. That thing is wired in there good, I did not have the patience to completely remove it so that I could unplug all the connections.
    I'm assuming I have to take the battery completely out to get better access to the box.

After reconnecting the battery, still not dash lights. Drove the van around, did not come on. Next day drove it to church and the lights were on the whole way. Parked it at church and when I came out, the dash lights were dead again. How can it be on just fine, parked for 2 hours, and then off? So frustrating! When I get more time I will take the battery out, and figure out how the main electrical box (TIPM?) comes out, disconnect all the connections and check for corrosion.

"How can it be on just fine, parked for 2 hours, and then off?"

Could be as macro as a loose electrical connector, a pushed pin in a connector not making good contact or a bad solder joint opening a circuit on a circuit board. Then it could be as micro as a badly soldered microscopic connection on a silicon chip on the circuit board. Yup, maddening.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 214K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord

I've seen several similar posts in which the problem was 'solved' by replacing the battery. I have discounted this solution, since it starts easily, until we traveled over the weekend, and drove about four hours. After the long drive/charge, the dash lights stayed on consistently for the next day. After two cold nights, it began intermittently failing again. By no means am I certain this is the problem, but it's on my list of things to keep an eye on. Possibly I'll get the battery tested.

Thanks

Not the same vintage but a little insight..

One day I jump in the 94 and half way out my drive it just quits. I start it up again go about 30 more feet and it quits again. Understand it's starting just fine. Friend of mine tells me to replace the battery, I say but it starts great, he says your battery is 11 years old (was original) replace the damn battery. I did and never had it die after that. Batteries can do funny things with these computers on wheels.

Oh ya! just before the battery died last month in the 05 the spedo and guages would do really weird things when I started it. Replaced the battery and now everything works as it should.
    Last edited by BobReeves; 01-28-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Added comment
    2013 GC SXT 16,000 My ride.
    2005 Caravan SXT 3.3, 58,000, Wife's ride.
    2000 Silverado 4x4 256,000 reg cab long bed, winter ride and lumber go getter .
    Previous, 94 Caravan 3.3, sold at 255,000.

Update on 2009 Chrysler Town and Country: I took the battery to Advance Auto Parts where I bought it 2 years ago and they tested it and charged it and replaced it for free. Also they tested the alternator, that was fine. Before I put the new battery in, I took out the whole TIPM fuse box, disconnected all the connectors going to it, none were corroded. Put it all back together with the new battery and STILL NO DASH LIGHTS. They came on briefly a couple days later when I opened the door but quickly went out before I could sit down to start it. It has not been above 80 degrees all day here in Florida for a while, most mornings are still in the 60's. Pretty much if its not 80+ all day, there's no chance of seeing the dash lights come on for me. Its totally temperature related for my issue. In a couple weeks it will be hot consistently again, so I'm going to wait it out, when the lights come back on I'm selling this thing to a dealer ASAP!

Hmm, been searching this and another Chrysler forum for weird electrical problems I'm having w/08 T&C, and reading yours, I see you say above a couple days later when you opened the door, your lights came on briefly. I read that several people having intermittent electrical probs have had to replace the drivers door wiring harness, and that fixed their problem. I'd work on ck'ing that doors harness by opening and closing the door while observing your dash to see if any changes are seen.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply