Rear brake noise

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rear brake noise

Thanks

Rear brake noise

I keep getting a clunking sound when braking that seems to come from the rear brakes. I've got a 01 caravan with rear drums. The last time this occurred my mechanic machined the drums and manually adjusted the rear brakes. He mentioned that the drums were out of round- though he had machined them less than 10K before. I have now put another 7K on the van and the rear brakes are making that familiar sound once again. What gives? Do we have to manually adjust the rear brakes every 10K? How can I tell if the rear adjusters are not working properly? Previously I had a pulsating pedal when braking that I thought was linked to warped rotors, though the pulsation decreased when the rear brakes were adjusted. Anyone have similar problems?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

There should be no need to manually adjust drum brakes every 10K. You can spin the adjuster with a flat-blade screwdriver and see if there is a lot of slack. Just don't tighten it so far that the shoes drag constantly. I would check and make sure a spring hasn't popped out and that the wheel cylinders are still tight. Pulsating pedal is a sign of a warped disk, also of an out-of-round drum. After its machined once, that almost always cures that problem forever.
    2001 Chrysler T&C LXi 127K

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gino45 View Post
    I keep getting a clunking sound when braking that seems to come from the rear brakes. I've got a 01 caravan with rear drums. The last time this occurred my mechanic machined the drums and manually adjusted the rear brakes. He mentioned that the drums were out of round- though he had machined them less than 10K before. I have now put another 7K on the van and the rear brakes are making that familiar sound once again. What gives? Do we have to manually adjust the rear brakes every 10K? How can I tell if the rear adjusters are not working properly? Previously I had a pulsating pedal when braking that I thought was linked to warped rotors, though the pulsation decreased when the rear brakes were adjusted. Anyone have similar problems?
    Do you regularly use the parking brake? The rear drum adjusters are actuated by the parking brake cables. Try holding the parking brake release and pumping the parking brake pedal several times.

Thanks

Rear Drum Brakes Are Inferior

Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    Do you regularly use the parking brake? The rear drum adjusters are actuated by the parking brake cables. Try holding the parking brake release and pumping the parking brake pedal several times.
    HA. This is really something. Seems everyone has a differing opinion on how to get the sorry drum brakes to adjust, or IF the adjuster works at all.
    A "clunk" is a weird description, but folks use all kinds or words to decribe car sounds.
    I started a new thread on the 3rd generation forum and got some pretty good help. See it here. http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=5211
    I think they sorta work to adjust themselves, but "sorta" would be the key word.
    I guess I got to hold my release and pump the parking brake as you suggest, just to see.
    2005 T&C Limited-105K, 99 Volvo S70-220K, 01 Accord EX-153K, 94 Volvo 940-316K, 99 Avalon 156K

Thanks

Rear brake drag on my 02 drums

The dealership turned the drums once and said if the problem doesn't go away it probably is a warped drum...well I changed the drum myself and adjusted the brakes to put the new drum on when the problem didn't go away. Now it seems that it's dragging or catching on a certain spot, probably every half turn. What should I be looking for next, my first thought is the emergency brake, would it drag this way (every 1/2 turn) or would be a continous drag? What else could it be? thanks for reading

Thanks

Bowen is correct when he stated:

I started a new thread on the 3rd generation forum and got some pretty good help. See it here. http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=5211
    You say you get a CLUNK when applying the brakes. It very well could be that the rear adjusters are not working correctly. Read that previous thread that Bowen posted. It sounds like your rear brakes are so out of adj that they are reaching thier full extension to hit the drums, thus the CLUNK. Chrysler minivan rear drum brakes are notorious for not adjusting correctly. You say it was worked on and adjusted and no noise. NOW , after driving for awhile, the clunk is back. Just try adjusting your rear brakes and see what happens. Again,for more detailed help, check out:
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=5211
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

The only Mopar brakes that I have had that were noisy were the rear disks on my '03 fullsize van that I traded to get the Grand Caravan.
    It was like they released a tad sooner than the fronts causing a chatter like you get when you are just barely letting off brakes at a stop light.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    2013 Chrysler Town and Country L
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong gentlemen, but don't the rear brake adjusters work the same now as they always have, upon backing up they are supposed{I know} to adjust if needed. Has Ma mopar change this for the minivan?{really, I'd like to know} Do we have to use the E-brake to adjust?
    Maybe the star wheel is sticking or not turning...I'm old school, when one does the rear drums{remember "front drums"?...talk about having to get out and adjust!} get the "brake hardware kit{s}" and replace all the springs and star wheel...if no new star wheel, then pop the cap and clean and regrease the old star wheel.
    99' Grand Voyager, 3.3L, 97k{my current ride}
    01' T/C LXi, 3.8L, 88k{wifes current ride}

Thanks

Oh, let's see if we can bust my "myth #2"...once a drum or rotor gets a warp, it inherently comes back{bad casting/bad flow when cast}...? I've had a couple of cars get a warp in the brakes and after a cutting they just seemd to come back.
    My 96' dakota always locked up the right rear brake drum 1st time hitting the brakes each day, then it was fine...OEM shoes get moisture soaked I was told by dealer and that drum was supposedly slightly smaller ID so the shoes really grabbed...problem was it did it any/every day till I replaced those shoes with aftermarket..problem solved. Wrong vehicle I know, but I thought I'd share a similar problem and it's resolve.
    99' Grand Voyager, 3.3L, 97k{my current ride}
    01' T/C LXi, 3.8L, 88k{wifes current ride}

Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong gentlemen, but don't the rear brake adjusters work the same now as they always have, upon backing up they are supposed{I know} to adjust if needed. Has Ma mopar change this for the minivan?{really, I'd like to know} Do we have to use the E-brake to adjust?
    In my personal experiences with the mini vans, I have found that the rear brake adjusters on the drum brakes do not always work properly. I can not tell you why, but they appear to not adjust right. Even after cleaning them up and lubing them, they don't seem to adjust out as they should. It may just be ME but I see alot of them. Those who find that you go thru front brakes pads quicker then you think you should, chances are, your rear brakes shoes are like new, as in NOT USED.
    Adjustments are not made by using the E-brake, but you should STILL USE THE E-Brake.
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

+ Reply to Thread