Replacing Rear spark plugs on 1998 T&C AWD

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Rear spark plugs on 1998 T&C AWD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IENGR View Post
    I was told that pros do it by crawling from under the van up to plugs , need to raise the van on jacks etc. :-(
    I don't care how high you put it or what temperature it is or how many rubber socket extentions you have.. It ain't easy.
    I say pay someone who does it every day.
    2005 T&C Limited-105K, 99 Volvo S70-220K, 01 Accord EX-153K, 94 Volvo 940-316K, 99 Avalon 156K

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

It's *not* hard....at all. It *is* time consuming - because I remove the wiper cowl and intake plenum. It's *not* something you need to pay someone else to do - as long as you can read your service manual, not difficult at all. *DO* be careful with the vacuum lines as you mark and remove them - they are very brittle. Ideally, you'll have at least all day to dedicate to this task.

IMO, removing the intake plenum is wise because it gives you a chance to inspect the valve covers - all the bolts on my rear valve covers were way loose, and probably the real reason it was leaking, but I went ahead and replaced the valve cover gaskets as well. Many folks complain that removing the wiper cowl and intake plenum are too much work - but it makes access a breeze and you can actually torque the spark plugs properly when you re-install them. And you can easily check the torque on those rear valve covers.

I'd far rather spend my time removing a few extra pieces than waste a lot of time trying to get that perfect angle while reaching up in a cramped space with less-than-ideal leverage.
    2003 Honda Odyssey EXL (3.5L)
    1997 Town & Country LXi (3.8L)
    1992 Honda Accord LX (2.2L)
    1990 Chevy K2500 (5.7L TBI)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chad_webb View Post
    It's *not* hard....at all. It *is* time consuming - because I remove the wiper cowl and intake plenum. It's *not* something you need to pay someone else to do - as long as you can read your service manual, not difficult at all. *DO* be careful with the vacuum lines as you mark and remove them - they are very brittle. Ideally, you'll have at least all day to dedicate to this task.

IMO, removing the intake plenum is wise because it gives you a chance to inspect the valve covers - all the bolts on my rear valve covers were way loose, and probably the real reason it was leaking, but I went ahead and replaced the valve cover gaskets as well. Many folks complain that removing the wiper cowl and intake plenum are too much work - but it makes access a breeze and you can actually torque the spark plugs properly when you re-install them. And you can easily check the torque on those rear valve covers.

I'd far rather spend my time removing a few extra pieces than waste a lot of time trying to get that perfect angle while reaching up in a cramped space with less-than-ideal leverage.
    Then again, in the whole Time=Money scenario, I'd much rather pay someone $150 to have it done than mess with an all-day job. I find it kind of funny that I'm actually saying that as I typically justify doing stuff like that myself for the very same reason, namely "Time", as I can usually do it quicker (and by extension cheaper) than a local garage.

So, in the whole bang for the buck laundry list of things to do or have done, I'll replace my own brakes, oil, shocks, struts, filters, bushings and even head gaskets, but I'll gladly pay someone else to do the spark plugs (unless of course I'm doing them at the same time as the head gaskets, which I'm not). Go figure.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro (5-Speed manual)
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2009 Mazda3 i Touring (5-Speed manual)
    2012 VW GTI (6-Speed manual)

Thanks

I get criticized often for turning down OT so I can work on my vehicles.
    I am reminded that in most cases the OT will more than pay for someone else to do the work for me.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    2013 Chrysler Town and Country L
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

Thanks

It's all about the complexity of the job. Some things are just to much hassle.

If it's a straight forward thing that you can see progress, then I don't mind doing them ... but if it's a hassle, forget it.

I learned long ago that such things like exhaust pipes, even if all preformed are TOO much of a pain.

Thanks

You need to remove the wiper/cowl assembly. Makes it much easier to reach the back plugs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brrossi View Post
    You need to remove the wiper/cowl assembly. Makes it much easier to reach the back plugs.
    Now that I know how to remove the effing wiper/cowl assembly, it's a job that I am much more likely to attempt myself when the time comes.

But had I not gone through that process while trying to replace the alternator, I wouldn't even consider it.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

Thanks

I have a 2000 T&C LXI with all wheel drive. I found it not too difficult to change the plugs and wires from below. I used a lift but Drive on ramps will work too. They are tricky to see/feel, but it can be done fairly easily. I am 6'2, my arms are long, but my hands are big.
    While your there check your P/S pump and lines. If they are rusty, replace them. Also check your belt and tensioner. The pressure hose is avalable in the aftermarket now, about $20 vs. $60-$70 at the dealer.

Thanks

Since I didn't see it mentioned other than mopar or napa preferred...

In having a tuneup done on my 1999, mopar wires were important.

The other two that were installed(Bosch and another brand I don't recall) sent feedback into the stereo. Static noises both on both AM/FM and CD.

Replacing with Mopar wires resolved this.

Thanks

changing plugs on 99 minivan

if anyone is interested I did a posting on this a few months ago with a bunch of pictures.

a bit of a challenging job if you are not a professional mechanic. however, the weekend mechanic can do it.

here is a link:

http://johndallara.home.mindspring.com/chryslerminivan/

anyone who has a question or wants some help go ahead and email me.

johndallara@mindspring.com

meanwhile ... back to work on the '92 caravan ...

JD

+ Reply to Thread