Anyone know how to remove a brinks alarm

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone know how to remove a brinks alarm

Thanks

Anyone know how to remove a brinks alarm

I just purchased a newer home for my family. Well it has the brinks security system in it. I was given the master code to use it, but the previous owner canceled their monitoring with brinks. I thought well Id like to still use it for the door chime noise so I can tell when one of the kids have opened one of the doors. Well after a few weeks now this darn thing is beeping in the middle of the night ( 415 am ) and I have to wake up and go hit the cancel button and go back to bed and all is fine. I contacted brinks and they said in order for me to stop the beeping in the middle of the night I would have to subscribe to their monitoring, well I ask how much and they said 35 dollars a month.. i was like WTF! I told them heck no ,that was no in my budget and besides i dont really need the alarm. I then asked how do i disable this beeping, they said only way would be to remove it, and I would have to pay the service call fee. I said to the sales person on the phone.... okay.. noooo but thanks for asking!
    Im not paying 150 dollars for someone to come out and remove the darn thing I didnt even want in the first place. So im left with this beeping thing in the middle of the night which is getting old fast.... I think I can remove the dumb thing, but I dont feel like having the alarm go off if i cut the wires.

does anyone have any ideas?

thanks
    rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

never mind.
    I figured out how to de power the system with no alarms going off. I had to crawl my big a$$ into the attic and follow some wires to where they came thru the ceiling in the garage that were connected to a power transformer as well get all itchy in the process. then I had to disconnect the battery in the main panel and wallah! no more brinks . now all i have to do is cut wires and take that panel box out of my closet. and throw the thing in the trash.
    but this has got me to thinking.... the house is hard wired already, i wonder if there is stand alone systems on the market i can use the exsisting wires??

Rob

Thanks

The glass breaker sensors, motion sensors, switch contacts etc can usually be used with other systems. Don't rip it all out if you think you may want to put in another vendor's system someday. The labor to run new wires would be a considerable portion of the setup fees, unless you go wireless of course.
    2011 Ram 4x4 Quad Sport, 5.7L Hemi 5-Spd, Flame Red, 60,000 kms
    2010 Journey R/T AWD, 3.5L , Stone White, 120,000 kms
    2007 Grand Caravan SXT, 3.8L 4-spd, Inferno Red, -SOLD-
    2001 Dodge Dakota Club Sport , 3.9L 4-spd , Flame Red -FOR SALE-

Thanks

Yes thats what I was thinking. I have done some research and found a few systems that a do it yourselfer like me can install that I could use the exsisting window sensors as well the door sensors. I left the brinks system in until I purchase one of the stand alone units I found. that way I know what wires are from what window / door etc. and make my install allot easier.

Rob

Thanks

Man Rob, you seem to come here and ask questions and then fix it yourself before you get an answer. Why you even asking?

Yea, there are several options for the alarm. Good move leaving the system in till you get a replacement. You may even look around for a cheaper service (my mother in law has one that is like $15/month? for monitoring and uses her cable internet instead of the phone lines, which some crooks cut).
    Just a note: If you have five dollars and Chuck Norris has five dollars, Chuck Norris has more than you.

Thanks

We have an alarm system, and you can toggle the door alarm on and off by pushing and holding one of the buttons on the keypad. We no longer have monitoring, but the system is still on, and I can turn on the chime if I'm expecting one of my kids home late, or I can look at it to quickly see if there are any doors or windows open.

I have dogs, so I don't need any other alarm.
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 99K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 65K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 65K mi

+ Reply to Thread