The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Dealer repair for EVAP Leak p0442 p0455 (pics)

126K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  A81 Sturmer 
#1 ·
While the van was at the dealer for steering rack problems again, I guess they wanted to be nice to me so the service writer told me the check engine light (p0442 p0455) had been on and they fixed the problem. I knew about the codes but I haven't had the time to look for any cracked hoses. I got under the van yesterday (after the same codes came on again) and started looking around. I noticed that the vapor canister looked like it had been wrapped a couple time with electrical tape. This wasn't there before. It looks like on the front side of the vapor canister that there is some type of port that they covered with electrical tape. I don't have a fsm for my van 2001 T&C Ltd 3.8. Does anyone have a drawing of the vapor canister so I can see what it is that they covered with tape. I took some pictures of the vapor canister. The picture with the wrapped up port in mention is seen through a mirror so to try to make it more visable. Can anyone make any light of this?

It makes me wonder how a Dealer can stay in business making these types of repairs!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure of 2001s but the 2000 Canister has 3 lines going in the front.
1. Fuel tank vent line. 2. Purge Hose. 3. Pressure hose from Leak Detection Pump.
I would take it back to the dealer, ask them to put it up on a rack, get the service manager look at it. See if he thinks that Chrysler wants the dealers to patch parts together with electrical tape like that. If he says yes, ask for the the number of the district rep.

#6 ·
From the 1st pic, it looks like there are missing screws, so they just taped the housing together.

#7 ·
I have error code 0455 and have found a crack in the hose as shown in your pics, can anyone tell me where I can find these hoses to purchase? Our local Kragen say they dont stock them, I have looked online but can't seem to identify them. What should I be looking for?
Thanks

#10 ·
Dave,

I looked at my 2001 factory manual CD and it shows a drawing of the canister that's just like your picture. Not much detail but there are only two hoses - vacuum and vapor. The gadget to the right of your cannister is the vent valve. It looks like there is a hose missing from the bottom of it but there is not, that's just the way it is.

I agree with Sunvanse that it looks like they taped the canister together.

Bill

#11 ·
hello everyone, I am new in this forum, I have chrysler Town & country 2002 LXI .a week ago when I pump gas , the gas nozzle did not shut off when the tank is full, cause spillage, after that the engine light went on, I plug it in the scanner and get the code P0455 large leak detected. I craw under the van and check all the hoses but I did not see any crack. a friend told me that it could be the gas cap, I got the new gas cap at dealer and put on , erase the code, after 2 days the check engine light went on again with 2 code P0442 and P0455, I dont know exactly where to find the leak? people told me that they have to use smoke machine to find the leak. Is there any other way to find the leak and pinch point the problem?Because I dont have the smoke machine... Beside the hoses and gas cap, what part of the EVAP system should I blame? purge solenoid?, charcoal canister, or leak detection pump? please help........

#13 ·
Anything that is damaged, cracked, leaking or loose in the evap system will cause those codes.
All repairs should start with a good visual inspection any anything obviously wrong/damaged should be addressed first.

#14 ·
When I received that message I replaced all of the hoses near the canister as well the
vent valve. these are the parts I ordered, it includes that "u" shaped hose near the canister. This is a 2001 Chrysler T&C 3.8.

Ordered from wholesalemopar.com

Once I cleared it, the problem has never come back

I also replaced the plastic clamps with steel ones.

Items Ordered:
Item: Emission system, Emission components, Hose, To vent valve, To vent valve - 3.3 & 3.8 liter 2001-03 - 3.3 & 3.8 liter 2001-03
Price: $2.19
Tax: $0.00
Qty: 1
Total: $2.19

Item: Emission system, Emission components, Hose, Load, Load - 3.3 & 3.8 liter 2001-03 - 3.3 & 3.8 liter 2001-03
Price: $1.94

Item: Emission system, Emission components, Hose, Frnt pmp to rr pmp, Frnt pmp to rr pmp - 3.3 & 3.8 liter 2001-03 - 3.3 & 3.8 liter 2001-03
Price: $3.25

Item: Emission system, Emission components, Hose, Purge, Purge - 3.3 & 3.8 liter 2001-03 - 3.3 & 3.8 liter 2001-03
Price: $2.44

Item: Emission system, Emission components, Vent valve, Vent valve - 3.3 & 3.8 liter 2001-03 - 3.3 & 3.8 liter 2001-03
Price: $6.75
-----------------------------
Items Total: $16.57

#17 ·
I am having the same problem on my 2001 3.3L. I also was told that the gas cap was the problem, but it did not fix the problem. Every time I reset the code it comes right back. I need to check those areas on my van also.

#18 ·
I agree that the best way to solve the (p0442 p0455) issues is a REALLY good visual inspection of all of the hoses on the emission system. Spend some time on the board and search p0442 and p0455 and you will find all the info you need. Good Luck

#19 ·
Dear Tomy, since you mention that this occured right after you overfilled, I would suspect that is the problem. If gas overfills and runs into the vacuum/purge hoses going to the vacuum canister, it can create a liquid blockage that keeps gases from properly circulating, also the gas may damage parts of the system. This has been mentioned quite a bit on Car Talk from people continuing to fill the tank past the click off and they warn against it. It may go away if gas has just filled the line after that gas evaporates. But watch the click off and stop! Otherwise you may need to replace some of the components listed above.

#25 ·
Thanks for the response on the white plastic clamps Bernard. Any reason you specify black?

Anyone have the PNs for the white plastic Chrysler clamps that crack that hold the hoses on the emission components? Is there a service bulletin or something that says to replace them with zip ties?

Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.