The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

rear hatch stuck

24K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  TheDevilIKnow 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 T @ C Limited with 108,000 miles. a few weeks ago the rear hatch remained locked when I tried to open and makes a noise when I hit the keychain open button or try to insert the key?

looked in the manual figuring it must be a fuse and it says fuses for the locks etc must be changed by an authorized dealer.

after searching online it sounds like I have a problem with the operation/function/failure/method of repair for the rear gate handle/switch? I didn't make that up it was written that way on another thread...

Also the van all of a sudden started making a noise that sounds like a train whistle. It appears to be associated wtih the heat and or defrosters fan?

any thoughts?:

#2 ·
Try opening the hatch while someone is triggering the door unlock switch up front.

My 96 has the same problem and we've been opening it this way for quite a while. When I try the key, it appears that there is something loose inside the door. One of these days I'll open it up and take a look see.

Jay in MA

#3 ·
I got the same problem with my 97 T&C. It occured especially during the cold weather. What I did was, I removed the door trim. Then I lubricate all parts related to locking system. Especially the joint where the vertical stick (I'm not sure how to call it) from the door handle/lock comes together with the horizontal stick (again not sure the name is) from power door motor. This joint is a little bit hidden. I just sprayed them using the WB-40. And guess what since then I never have any more probelm with it, regardless how cold the temperature outside (hey...it is around below 15 here nowdays).

#4 ·
On my '96 Town & Country, the lock on the liftgate froze and it wouldn't unlock no matter what. The dealer managed to get it free somehow but the service technician's words to me were:

"If it fails again, you'll have to replace it."

Yay.

#5 ·
I had the same problem on a 2000 Caravan. It's usually a part failure associated with the latch. There's a small access hole (with a cap on it) on the inside of the rear hatch that will let you get to the mechanism to open the door. Usually the entire latch has to be replaced. Best option is to get one from a salvage yard. Mine cost $25.

#7 ·
Just repaired hatch mechanism in 2 hours. 2000TC LXI 159,585 miles

This device may have just been dislodged due to a harder than normal closure of the hatch or it may have just been opened one-too-many-times. In either case, the portal at the bottom center of the hatch (inside) permitted a quick look see. The L-shaped threaded rod was no longer attached to the coupling mechanism. Since I could not reattach ( with a longer term fix) I decided to remove the interior lining.

This was made easier by the fact that I was able to manually pull on the threaded rod and release the locking mechanism. Had I not been able to achieve this, not sure of the next path. With the hatch now open, just a matter of sequentially removing the Phillips head screws ( 7 total not counting the two in the hatch handle) and then freeing the lining from the door. This exposed the separated pieces which were then examined to be sufficiently reusable. I simply reconnected the threaded L-shaped rod into the receiving "nut" and tested the mechanism. Voila! Success on the first try.

To (hopefully) eliminate another separation, I first wrapped the two pieces together with some very thin (copper) wire from an old modem cable. Then, I tied the pieces together with a plastic quick-tie and cut off the excess. Finally, I wrapped all of that with "Red Green's" favorite tool: duct tape. After multiple tests with just the key in the lock, the key fob and several hard closures, I was convinced of a job well engineered. Need to be alert for some (potential) rough edges on the inner door frame. Long sleeves suggested ( hindsight of course.) :)

#8 ·
Just repaired my rear hatch latch as well. 2000 T&C Van, I found this thread searching google for "undo rear latch 2000 town and country van". Like steve-o, I went from the inside, I was lucky, previous owner had lost some screws around bottom of trim, I reached in and pulled up om the bar that releases latch. Lock de4vice was working fine, problem was that the clip holding linkage bar to latch mechanism was set6 too low, and latch was not being lifted enough to disengage. I bent and pried the clip enough to loosen it and set it higher on linkage bar, then bent it back to correct shape to hold in place. works great now.

#9 ·
Search the site for "rear hatch won't open" if you need other info on this topic. I've posted a few "look / see" photos of the mechanism. Good luck with your repairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.