rear hatch stuck

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rear hatch stuck

Thanks

Question rear hatch stuck

I have a 1999 T @ C Limited with 108,000 miles. a few weeks ago the rear hatch remained locked when I tried to open and makes a noise when I hit the keychain open button or try to insert the key?

looked in the manual figuring it must be a fuse and it says fuses for the locks etc must be changed by an authorized dealer.

after searching online it sounds like I have a problem with the operation/function/failure/method of repair for the rear gate handle/switch? I didn't make that up it was written that way on another thread...

Also the van all of a sudden started making a noise that sounds like a train whistle. It appears to be associated wtih the heat and or defrosters fan?

any thoughts?:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Try opening the hatch while someone is triggering the door unlock switch up front.

My 96 has the same problem and we've been opening it this way for quite a while. When I try the key, it appears that there is something loose inside the door. One of these days I'll open it up and take a look see.

Jay in MA
    2009 Honda Accord, 2.4 (Mobil1 5W-20)
    2009 Nissan Altima
    2000 Toyota Camry, 2.2
    1999 Toyota Camry, 2.2
    1995 Chevy S10 S.S., 4.3
    1985 John Deere 318 (Mobil1 10W-30)

Thanks

I got the same problem with my 97 T&C. It occured especially during the cold weather. What I did was, I removed the door trim. Then I lubricate all parts related to locking system. Especially the joint where the vertical stick (I'm not sure how to call it) from the door handle/lock comes together with the horizontal stick (again not sure the name is) from power door motor. This joint is a little bit hidden. I just sprayed them using the WB-40. And guess what since then I never have any more probelm with it, regardless how cold the temperature outside (hey...it is around below 15 here nowdays).

Thanks

On my '96 Town & Country, the lock on the liftgate froze and it wouldn't unlock no matter what. The dealer managed to get it free somehow but the service technician's words to me were:

"If it fails again, you'll have to replace it."

Yay.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

Thanks

I had the same problem on a 2000 Caravan. It's usually a part failure associated with the latch. There's a small access hole (with a cap on it) on the inside of the rear hatch that will let you get to the mechanism to open the door. Usually the entire latch has to be replaced. Best option is to get one from a salvage yard. Mine cost $25.

Thanks

Exclamation rear hatch

i have been noticing the same promblem it's been very cold here and if i hit the power locks in the van the rear hatch will not open i have to turn the key off and use the keypad you figure?

+ Reply to Thread