Code P1494 Leak Dectection Pump

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Code P1494 Leak Dectection Pump

Thanks

Code P1494 Leak Dectection Pump

I have a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager with 3.3L engine. The van has 120K on it and it runs OK.
    About 3 months ago, the Service Engine Soon light came on. The diagnostic code was P1494 Leak Detection Pump SW.
    The shop replaced the LDP - when the light came back on after two days, they did the smoke detection test and could not find any leak.
    The shop replaced the LDP twice, then the PCM then the hoses. But the light came back, usually two to three days after when the engine was very cold; either over night or after 4+ hrs off.
    The van had been in the shop for weeks and the mechanic is now very unhappy to talk to me.

I need to get this problem fix for emission test.

Any suggestion as to where to check next? What could be the possible problems? Thank you for helping.

DNT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

You did not mention if he checked the wiring and associated relays for any shorts or disconnects. If he didn't you seriously need a new shop.

edit: this brings up another point. Too many mechanics just go and replace the PCM these days without doing proper troubleshooting. In that case, the PCM is almost certainly not the culprit. If the mechanic wants to replace the PCM as anything other than a very last resort, run the other way (unless of course the PCM is outputting the P06** codes which can indicate internal faults). Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by erichthewebguy; 02-02-2007 at 09:44 PM.
    When troubleshooting, always assume the simplest cause first!

'02 Chrysler Voyager
    Short Wheel Base
    2.4L 3 Speed
    102,000 Miles

Thanks

He showed my the wiring diagram and mentioned that he measured the switch voltage. He mentioned that it should be less than 9V instead it was much higher ( I don't remember the number). Later date, he told me that he made sure all of the contacts were cleaned.
    I am not sure if he checked any relays or other wiring for short.
    Thank you for your input.
    I intend to check the wiring once he gives me the wiring diagram. I would be appreciated if anyone can provide me the wiring diagram.

Thanks

Yeah, check for shorts. Seems to me (although I have never experienced this) that two wires could have rubbed together, become bare, and be shorting against eachother, applying higher then normal voltage to the LDP switch.

Or, perhaps the switch is faulty? Maybe it has an internal short. I have never seen this particular problem before, so I am grasping at straws here.
    When troubleshooting, always assume the simplest cause first!

'02 Chrysler Voyager
    Short Wheel Base
    2.4L 3 Speed
    102,000 Miles

Thanks

I recommend checking both the wiring and all hoses/tubes (both evap lines and vacuum lines and any breather ports).

Also, there is probably a diagnostic chart available for that code -- alldatadiy.com is a great place to get access to both repair manual information and TSB's. There is a TSB out on the LDP issue. Unfortunately (grrr) most of Chrysler's diag charts are based on the "DRB", a $6000 (!!!) special scan tool, but I would think that this system could be fairly effectively checked via "normal" methods, esp. since you have already ruled out the PCM and LDP as possible problems!

- G

+ Reply to Thread