The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Power Steering Noise???

21K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  csong 
#1 ·
I've been having some problems with steering noises. It sounds like a grind when I steer extreme left or right. I've checked the power steering fluid and it is full, but I have read several posts on other sites where people have had to replace the hose for the power steering fluid saying that it gets air trapped in it. Any suggestions? How would I go about bleeding it? Thank you.

#2 ·
All power steering pumps make noise when the wheel is turned hard left or hard right. Some are louder than others, but they all do it.
When the rack hits the stop the hydraulic servo goes wide open, and the pump goes full on trying to push the rack past the end stop. This makes it fuss. Also the extra load on the pump will sometimes make the belt slip.
If you turn the wheel back off full lock just a little the pump noise should stop.

#3 ·
Take a hand baster and pump out as much fluid as you can from the fill cap to the power steering fluid. Then replace the fluid with some +4 transmission fluid. It cured the exact problem we had last week with our 04 mini-van. I was surprised that this simple procedure got rid of the noise which sounded like a broken pump.

Richard.

#5 ·
It worked ok for me. I am going to repeat the procedure at the next oil change, however, because I have noticed some noise since I did that. Using the turkey baster method only replaces the fluid that's in the reservoir, so you have to do it a number of times to appreciably clean the fluid.

#6 ·
I have done the ATF 4 thing at least 3 different times. It works for a while but it seems the noisy pump comes back after a period of time. It's weird. We can drive our van 5 times with no noise at all and then we're out for the next drive and it's moaning like crazy. Almost like it has a mind of it's own when it wants to make noise and when it doesn't. Then on the next drive it's quiet again with no action on my part.

#7 ·
Power Steering fixes...

Hi Everyone,
I haven't posted here in a while, although I read the forum a lot... We have the same minivan as Jason from North Carolina does... 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with the 3.3c.i. Flex-Fuel V6. Although, we live in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

We bought the van in July 2004 and had the power steering hoses replaced as part of the initial recall in fall of 2004. We had no problems with power steering at all until these hoses were replaced. Apparently, the rubber the old hoses were made of was defective, especially in colder climates. So, as the months progressed, and eventually got colder outside at night, we started the van in the morning and drove down the street with the engine still cold. About mid-warmup the power steering would growl terribly when we came to a stop sign or red light. Not even turning the wheel, just idling in drive.

Long story short, we had to have this serviced several times for this issue until they fixed it correctly. Apparently, they need to replace the power steering reservoir since it has a built-in screen to trap all the junk... The problem lies within the reservoir because as it grabs junk in that screen, it also cavitates the power steering pump of some fluid. After a while of this happening, it starts to damage other components in the system.

We actually had to have our steering rack replaced because this issue wasn't corrected until it was already damaged. Please do yourself a favor and have this issue addressed by a reputable dealer or mechanic who has a knowledge of these Dodge vehicles.

Take Care & God Bless,
Matthew Matinzi:thumb:

#8 ·
Apparently, they need to replace the power steering reservoir since it has a built-in screen to trap all the junk... The problem lies within the reservoir because as it grabs junk in that screen, it also cavitates the power steering pump of some fluid. After a while of this happening, it starts to damage other components in the system.
Hey Matthew, thanks for the info.

But you will have to re-word this for my simple mind. Are you saying that the screen gets plugged up and that restricts the flow of fluid? Where is the secreen? If I can get to it, couldn't I just vac it out? I am not familiar with the term "cavitates." Please translate.

#9 ·
Cavitation loosely means pumping air. In other words, the PS pump is not getting enough fluid and begins to pump some air. Sounds suspiciously like another possible reason our PS pump failed, instead of the crushed cooler line story.

#11 ·
Just for everyones information, I, too had the same growling noise in my p/s pump on my Voyager on cold mornings and took it back to the dealer where I bought it because it was still in warranty and they replaced the p/s reservoir because of the same problem mm1965ra was talking about and its been quiet for several weeks now and the temperature has dropped down in the teens lately and no problems.
Not to say that the turkey baster and atf won't work, its just that I don't like putting any fluids in my van that it doesn't specifically call for.
I would first try to take the reservoir off and clean out the sludge and refill it with the fluid it calls for. Just my opinion folks...

#12 ·
Not to say that the turkey baster and atf won't work, its just that I don't like putting any fluids in my van that it doesn't specifically call for.
ATF+4 is indeed the proper fluid for most of these power steering systems. Many systems in the past used a special power steering fluid, but many vehicles today (our vans included, at least most of the 4th gen vans) use ATF as the power steering fluid.

I think we decided that some of the early 4th gen vans, like 2001 and perhaps 2002 used actual PS fluid. So the ATF fluid spec may not apply to your van (and probably doesn't if it's an '01). The procedure would still be the same; a turkey baster and PS fluid.

Some of 2002 and all of 2003 and current use ATF+4 in the PS system.

#13 ·
Thanks and...

Hi guys,

I am new here.
Actually I do not know whether this is the right place to post my greetings and appreciation. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I found a lot of fun and useful information here.
The fix for the power steering noise and shudder was really helpful.
Replacing a new P/W reservoir really fixed the problem.
Actually I tried to take it out and clean it.
But the plastic hose fitting was broken, and I replaced the whole P/S reservoir this evening.

Through test driving, no noise no shudder.
The steering feels a lot more effortless.

Appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.